Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 AM

3,356 posts, read 4,184,174 times

Advertisements

Perhaps a harbinger of things to come for the NB-Hartford line. Massive cost over-runs... Another urbanist dream meets reality!

Light-Rail to Nowhere: Honolulu, Hawaii's Train Boondoggle - Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM

35,056 posts, read 57,152,219 times
Actually this is a rail project, not a Busway like New Britian- Hartford. Rail is very expensive which is why it was not selected as an option in the Hartford West Study. Jay

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Perhaps a harbinger of things to come for the NB-Hartford line. Massive cost over-runs... Another urbanist dream meets reality!

Light-Rail to Nowhere: Honolulu, Hawaii's Train Boondoggle - Reason.com
Its a very well planned project , its not a LRT to nowhere...as it covers half of Oahu and Projected to get at least 136,000 daily riders.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,095,106 times
Ed Driscoll » Hawaii $5.0 Billion

A transit agency that expands its bus fleet gets the support of the transit operators union. But an agency that builds a rail line gets the support of construction companies, construction unions, banks and bond dealers, railcar manufacturers, electric power companies (if the railcars are electric powered), downtown property owners, and other real estate interests. Rail may be a negative-sum game for the region as a whole, but those concentrated interests stand to gain a lot at a relatively small expense to everyone else.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,501,284 times
People will use the busway. Drugs addicts, gang members and dealers will get the maximum return of this. When they get this thing running from Waterbury-New Britain-Hartford, just sit back and see the show. I know someone who works correction in a town linked to this project and they are already saying how much of a nightmare this is going to be. Ever been to Kennedy Center in Providence. Nothing but Hookers and bums. Just wait, you'll all see. If Malloy really wanted to back this thing he would actually go onsite and promote it. He NEVER stepped foot on the project except for the groundbreaking. It'll be torn up in 10 years or used as a street racing haven.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Ed Driscoll » Hawaii $5.0 Billion

A transit agency that expands its bus fleet gets the support of the transit operators union. But an agency that builds a rail line gets the support of construction companies, construction unions, banks and bond dealers, railcar manufacturers, electric power companies (if the railcars are electric powered), downtown property owners, and other real estate interests. Rail may be a negative-sum game for the region as a whole, but those concentrated interests stand to gain a lot at a relatively small expense to everyone else.
Except the people voted for it , People wouldn't vote for a project that wouldn't benefit them or the Majority of Islanders. They have buses , there bus system is at capacity , this line will relieve some of that congestion along with absorbing the future growth. Oahu is exploding rapidly...and becoming really dense..so Buses 10-15 years from now won't cut it...so they need to build this system now...it will take 5-7 years to complete. This line would connect the Airport with the Downtown , Resorts , residential and Medical complexes. The Anti-Rail people seem to think they can build more highways and add more buses but this has been tried many times , adding more buses costs more money in the long run along with not addressing the island's horrid congestion with real solutions. This line will be Driverless , so it will be cheaper to operate then hiring more bus drivers...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
People will use the busway. Drugs addicts, gang members and dealers will get the maximum return of this. When they get this thing running from Waterbury-New Britain-Hartford, just sit back and see the show. I know someone who works correction in a town linked to this project and they are already saying how much of a nightmare this is going to be. Ever been to Kennedy Center in Providence. Nothing but Hookers and bums. Just wait, you'll all see. If Malloy really wanted to back this thing he would actually go onsite and promote it. He NEVER stepped foot on the project except for the groundbreaking. It'll be torn up in 10 years or used as a street racing haven.
Come on now, get real. Do you know anything about mass transit in the Hartford area? Hartford has one of the highest mass transit usage trates in the country. If you go on the bus you will see all types of people, not just "drug addicts, gang members and dealer". If fact you are less likely to see these types on a bus since they rarely use mass transit for fear of being seen. As for Malloy visiting the site, why should he? He gets regular reports on the project. Do you really think he goes around and visits every major construction project in the state? No. Get real already. Jay

Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,406,796 times
Quote:
Gang members and drug dealers have enough money to not have to take a bus. They usually have nice rides with nice rims. They'd probably steal a car before resorting to riding a bus. It would hurt their street cred/gangbanger ego.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,501,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now, get real. Do you know anything about mass transit in the Hartford area? Hartford has one of the highest mass transit usage trates in the country. If you go on the bus you will see all types of people, not just "drug addicts, gang members and dealer". If fact you are less likely to see these types on a bus since they rarely use mass transit for fear of being seen. As for Malloy visiting the site, why should he? He gets regular reports on the project. Do you really think he goes around and visits every major construction project in the state? No. Get real already. Jay
I would like to see the ridership statistics from the bus area in Hartford area. I do not know really anything from statical standpoint and I would love to see them. I know all types of people use the bus. I did use public transportation in providence. I was maybe just casting a large blanket over the whole thing, but in a way I hope it does work. Malloy does not have to be at all projects but this project I feel should have more power from above. I feel like this should be a high priority in the state since it was such a talked about project.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I would like to see the ridership statistics from the bus area in Hartford area. I do not know really anything from statical standpoint and I would love to see them. I know all types of people use the bus. I did use public transportation in providence. I was maybe just casting a large blanket over the whole thing, but in a way I hope it does work. Malloy does not have to be at all projects but this project I feel should have more power from above. I feel like this should be a high priority in the state since it was such a talked about project.
I would have to dig up the actual statistics on mass transit ridership for Hartford. The information I saw was part of other information. I will say it surprised me though.

Also I agree with you on the Governor but he has not had a history of doing this. Its politics so who knows why he does not. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut