Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM

20 posts, read 55,689 times

Advertisements

But I have some questions, if you all wouldn't mind :-)

I currently live in Maine. I've spent equal portions of my life living in Maine, Virginia and Michigan. I've come to realize I hate extreme heat and equally I hate the extreme cold...so I've been doing some research and have really been considering moving to Hawaii in two to three years (of course I would visit first). I don't want to leap in with the pre-conceived notion that Hawaii is exactly what you see on the Travel Agency Brochures and I have heard of some of the negative aspects, however, I would more or less like some different opinions on the matters in order to better weigh my decision.

1.) I am a single mother of 3 kids, but I will also be an RN and hope to have a couple years' experience under my belt before my move. Does anyone know what the need for nurses is there?

2.) Schools-I've heard a lot of complaints about the schools there. Could someone help me put into perspective what the schools are like? Please feel free to include your own children's experiences or experiences of friends'/relatives' children.

3.) What is there for kids to be involved in?

4.) What areas are most prevalent for drugs and crime? (Not because I want them lol...because I want to try to avoid moving to such areas)

5.) I've heard there are some parts that are racist or xenophobic (in that they don't like the mainlanders and feel threatened that it will contribute to taking away from their culture or that we are trying to "steal their land away." Will my kids and me be accepted by the locals? Is there really a big problem with racism? My kids are bi-racial (half black/half white) and I am white. I love flip-flops, btw :-)

6.) How much does it cost to buy groceries for a family of four per month, on average?

7.) Do you think the islands are a good place to raise children?

Thanks so much, in advance, for taking the time to answer my questions. I know there may be threads out there already similar to mine, but I want my own and I'm too lazy to search at the moment :-)

PS-My intentions of moving there are mostly weather/climate related and also I am really interested in experiencing the culture. I want my kids to be able to play outside year round and I want our quality of life to improve--in case this can help with any tips or advice. I'm not running from anything, nor do I want to take over or change Hawaii. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Oh yeah, and #8...If someone could enlighten me about what each of the islands has to offer. :-)

Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,603,193 times
Please read the "sticky" note for your Island By Island questions. Each island is very different.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Hi there AlohaHuey! Thanks for responding! I'm not quite sure what a "sticky" note is...I just joined today. I did take a little time and browsed some of the forums and I did look up some general information as well, however, I think a lot of the info I received may have been a bit "sales pitchy." Since I don't have much time, I was hoping for some answers to my specific questions from both natives/locals and mainlanders who have chosen to make Hawaii their home also. I guess I just want to hear opinions from real people. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :-)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheillala2008 View Post
I know there may be threads out there already similar to mine, but I want my own and I'm too lazy to search at the moment
Yes, you have just asked almost all of the top ten questions that people ask over and over, and there's a wealth of info already posted here. Start by reading the Sticky Thread #2 at the top of the page on Relocation. If that's too much effort, I seriously suggest you forget about living in Hawai'i. The cost of living is at least 15% higher than the mainland, and it takes a lot of careful planning and work to make a move to the islands work. Nobody is going to hand it to you.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what a "sticky" note is...I just joined today.
On the home page for City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii the first two threads listed are "sticky," which means they are always there, no matter what page you go to in the thread list.

The reason the #2 thread is there, at the top of the page, is to answer the common questions first time visitors always ask.

Quote:
Since I don't have much time, I was hoping for some answers to my specific questions from both natives/locals and mainlanders who have chosen to make Hawaii their home also. I guess I just want to hear opinions from real people. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :-)
That's what you will find in the Sticky thread, the links it includes, and the results of searches... real info, posted by real people. And all of your questions, for real, have been answered many times before.

Seriously, if you don't have much time to do the homework, you are not likely to have a great time trying to move here, because as you will learn if you do follow the threads... EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT IN HAWAI'I.

Good luck with it.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
After you visit, you will have a whole new set of questions besides generic ones. No one can tell you about these things in a general way because everyone is diffrent and without knowing your family or more details.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Ha! Thanks for the enlightenment...that is simply too much work...I'll never make it in Hawaii. I'm from Maine; did you see that in there? Lol we are known for our work ethic, which is why I don't have the time to look at hundreds more posts from others when I have been seeking this information, but I have not seen my questions answered (though I have seen posts that are somewhat similar)...like people complaining about the schools and saying they are no good, but no explaination as to why or where the good public schools are, if there are any. I apologize for creating such a ridiculous thread and I apologize that I was so excited to ask my questions that I did not read all the fine print about "sticky notes" before posting. And I ask about the cost of food in order to plan a budget (seems i had already dug up info on housing costs), not because I wouldn't have the money while working as a nurse. :-) I don't expect things handed to me...I work my tail off in all aspects of my life...I was asking for opinions and if it was too much work for you to respond with a somewhat informative answer, then perhaps you could have spared yourself! So far I got 'People from Hawaii have bad attitudes and they don't deserve what I can contribute, nor do they have the slightest sense of humor.' I apologize...I'm not a forum regular and I can clearly see you regulars must be tired of answering the same questions (maybe a hobby or a job?)...I thought that's what forums were for though...but what do I know? These questions were derived from previous posts that I have read already that did not answer my questions...lol...Just thought I'd ask around though. I think I just started to appreciate living here a little more. I shall never ask a question in another forum again that may have already been asked until I have spent hours upon hours searching for the answers to my questions. Peace be with you :-)

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

I understand everyone would have different answers...that is what I was hoping for. Thank you for your response.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Ha! Thanks for the enlightenment...that is simply too much work...I'll never make it in Hawaii.
Unfortunately, that's probably accurate. Large numbers of people move here, and large numbers of people move away from here a few months or a few years later. The percentage who actually stick is surprisingly low. Otherwise the population would be expanding much, much faster than it is.

And that's why those of us who love Hawai'i and want to help others have to do a balancing act... not being overly positive or negative... being factual and accurate, but pointing out the things that were not asked...

Here are a couple of quick factoids to help you understand why it takes a lot of personal research to figure out if it's even worth it to come for a visit (mandatory) before you try to move here...

Cost of living is figured at 15% higher than the mainland (and housing can be double or more), and salaries are generally 15% lower than the mainland. Since almost everything sold here comes from thousands of miles away and the oil prices are still climbing, virtually everything sold here will go up in price this year. Public schools are generally considered to be among the worst in the country. The cockroaches here are the biggest you've ever seen, and if you don't get along with bugs and lizards, the islands are no place for you. And there's more, lots more...

And all that being said, some of us consider this to be paradise. Your mileage will vary, but it's probably best if you come without kids or pets, and with as much cash as you can manage to get your hands on.

There, does that help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii