Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times

Advertisements

I spent a couple of years researching Hawaii, three years after that prepping my house for sale, ridding myself of belongings that didn't fit, and getting my dogs prepped for the move.

Sheilala, I recommend buying a book and reading it thoroughly, there are several books on moving to Hawaii and they are updated to reflect the cost of living and changes in the Islands. If this is too much effort and research, then don't come. Seriously. You aren't ready if you cannot make a basic, rudimentary commitment to researching such a drastic life change.

The forum gets almost daily posts asking the same sort of general questions. It's redundant to answer them over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. The best approach? Do some preliminary research about the general aspects of Hawaii by reading one of the books I described and through the sticky notes in this forum. Visit the island you intend to move to before moving. Then, you will be knowledgeable to ask specific questions that nearly everyone will happily answer. But it takes effort on your part. If you aren't willing to do the basic legwork and research that such a move requires, you won't get a lot of answers except referrals to the answers on the sticky threads. A move to Hawaii is similar to moving to another country. You wouldn't move to another country without researching it, would you? Same applies here.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
A move to Hawaii is similar to moving to another country.
I think this should be writ large in glowing red letters over the Forum. Ought to be the motto. Might save some time and energy and heartache.

It also is a completely accurate statement, and the things that you can't even imagine to ask can hit you the hardest. Yeesh, try to deposit or cash a mainland check! A 10 business day hold is normal.

And of course in moving to another country you actually could find a larger percentage of the population for whom English is their first language.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM

20 posts, read 55,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Unfortunately, that's probably accurate. Large numbers of people move here, and large numbers of people move away from here a few months or a few years later...
Hope I quoted this right ;-) (I didn't read how to do it first lol)...but yes, thank you...that did help. Cockroaches and gigantic spiders might freak me out a little (not lizards so much), but they probably just want a little of that "paradise" too...can't blame them. Even paradise has its price. But everywhere has its critters...a lot of people all over (here included) are having real issues with bed bugs (that would freak me out more and I hear they are rampid in my area-crossing my fingers that I don't have to deal with them). And I'm sorry to hear about the schools there...I hope something comes together in order to help the situation. And I agree that balance is good when trying to weigh things out, but all-in-all I find a positive outlook is essential in life. I do appreciate your honest response. It does seem like the best interest for my kids would be here for now. Perhaps I will reconsider once the kids are grown. Thank you for your time

Old 03-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Oh, yesss... I had an experience with bedbugs at a hotel in Lexington, Mass... something like 200 bites in one nite... caused an allergic reaction that put me in the emergency room at Lahey Clinic. Photos are now in the medical library at Harvard Med school.

I'll take cockroaches the size of 96' VW Jettas over bed bugs any day.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
If this is too much effort and research, then don't come. Seriously. You aren't ready if you cannot make a basic, rudimentary commitment to researching such a drastic life change.
It really isn't too much effort (just a little sarcasm)...I have been doing some research for weeks now...I just wanted to hear from people who live there. But thank you for referring me to the other posts. I never planned to make such a drastic change over night...I was thinking a few years ahead and gathering as much info as possible in the meantime...and I did not want all of my info to come from Hawaii's website. I will take a gander at the other posts though in order to see which of my questions may have been answered already. I was only joking when I said I was too lazy, I really was just hoping for quicker answers...so sue me for wanting instant gratification ;-) lol...this is not the only place I have sought answers, just the only place I posted a thread. However, I might mention that before I look up information on things such as 'how long it takes a mainland check to cash' or 'how much it costs to register my vehicle', I kinda want to know about the things that matter--the people, the culture, the crime, the schools, etc. I can adapt to the other things. I'm no stranger to obstacles or hardships or change ;-) Thank you though for your response

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Oh, yesss... I had an experience with bedbugs at a hotel in Lexington, Mass... something like 200 bites in one nite... caused an allergic reaction that put me in the emergency room at Lahey Clinic. Photos are now in the medical library at Harvard Med school.

I'll take cockroaches the size of 96' VW Jettas over bed bugs any day.

Sheesh...I think I would seriously lose my mind! And people have to move and throw out furniture and everything in order to ensure they get rid of them. One blood meal lasts them a year...they can hide somewhere for a year...ick...I hope and pray I don't ever get them. Having 2nd thoughts on travelling ever! lol

Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheillala2008 View Post
so sue me for wanting instant gratification
Oh, yeah... that instant gratification thing... be sure to leave that on the mainland. Nothing can be guaranteed to cause you more delays and more frustration in Hawai'i than expecting instant gratification. Kinda like what just happened here.

Seriously. Somebody fresh starts in on that "now!" stuff here and everything slows down. Hawai'i time is not like mainland time, and here things take as long as they take... unless you get pushy in which case they take longer.

Cool your jets. Slow down. Take your time... that's Hawai'i!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM

209 posts, read 722,079 times
Aloha Everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Hawaii.........Gotcha! lol. I bet that scared ya!

I once spent 10 days on Molokai. When we drove out of the very tiny airport, there was a sign that said "Slow Down, You in Molokai Now". They wern't lying. That sign applies to all the islands, thats the way it is. I wish everyone all the best if and when they ever make the move to Hawaii. It's a magical place that seems to never leave my mind .

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 PM

227 posts, read 918,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheillala2008 View Post
I'm from Maine; did you see that in there? Lol we are known for our work ethic, which is why I don't have the time to look at hundreds more posts from others when I have been seeking this information
Thats nice so you want us to do all the research for you when most of us have contributed already to the sticky section. You should stay in Maine you will never get the aloha spirit.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 AM

[quote=OpenD;18177464]Oh, yeah... that instant gratification thing... be sure to leave that on the mainland. Nothing can be guaranteed to cause you more delays and more frustration in Hawai'i than expecting instant gratification. Kinda like what just happened here. quote]

Thanks for that tid-bit. I would loooooooove to slow down. I moved back to Maine in order to do so. We are always about 20 years behind time here. I guess it just depends on the definition of slowing down. Living in the Metro Detroit area of Michigan was just too fast for me...a rat-race...but too many people, which sloooowed everything I needed to do down...hurry up and wait...here, the pace of life is slower (like technology and people take the time to smell the roses), but things I need done tend to happen faster because of less people and more people willing to help, thus I'm waiting on less in order to get through what I need to get through in order to move on with my life. I think I just need a good vacation...not so much a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii