Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 35,814 times

Advertisements

I will be accepting a job in Harrisburg, Pa shortly. Looking for some real estate advice. I'm in my upper 20's, so most likely looking for a townhome or condo....I am a first-time home buyer. What areas would be my best investment 5 years down the road in the Harrisburg area??? Thanks you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 PM

148 posts, read 637,537 times
How much can you spend? I am partial to areas that are appealing to transferees like Highland Park in Lower Allen Township, Camp Hill Borough, and Hampden Township.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
The good news is the Harrisburg area is a very stable housing market. Housing prices don't ever fall hard...but they don't skyrocket either. The best bet for an appreciating house is going to be in the newer suburban areas such as Silver Spring and Hampden townships on the west shore and East Hanover township on the east shore. If you are looking at city living, Midtown has had steadily rising property values even in the midst of the downturn. Old Uptown is just north of Midtown and has a great potential for appreciation but also a higher risk. I wouldn't look in Penbrook, Steelton or any of Harrisburg's close-in east suburbs. Values are probably going to decline in those areas.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
The good news is the Harrisburg area is a very stable housing market. Housing prices don't ever fall hard...but they don't skyrocket either. The best bet for an appreciating house is going to be in the newer suburban areas such as Silver Spring and Hampden township. Real bang for your buck but also a higher risk includes Old Uptown or Midtown Harrisburg. I wouldn't look in Penbrook, Steelton or any of Harrisburg's close-in east suburbs. Values are probably going to decline in those areas.
Why? Interestingly, those are the more "diverse" suburbs in the Harrisburg area in school districts like Steelton-Highspire, parts of the Central Dauphin SD and Susquehanna Township SD too. What about places like Middletown or Hershey?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why? Interestingly, those are the more "diverse" suburbs in the Harrisburg area in school districts like Steelton-Highspire, parts of the Central Dauphin SD and Susquehanna Township SD too. What about places like Middletown or Hershey?
Steelton has seen a dramatic increase in crime and the school district has gone downhill. Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for Steelton, but I think it's not a safe investment right now. There is some revitalization going on downtown where there is potential. There is quite a diverse selection of ethnic restaurants. I think the Front street corridor has potential but the rest of the borough is going to continue to decline, unfortunately.

Penbrook, along with the parts of Susquehanna and Lower Paxton that border Harrisburg are going to suffer as well. These areas border Harrisburg's worst neighborhoods and it is just natural that crime and decay is going to spread into these areas, especially as other parts of the city continue to gentrify. The suburbs aren't immune anymore.

Hershey is going to be safe. Middletown seems stable, but is perhaps seeing a bit of decline in certain parts of the town.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 PM

As far as price...it just sort of depends what kind of deal I can get. $150,000 or so. I appreciate the help! I am looking into a few spot at midtown, but will make sure to look into Hampden Township, silver spring, East Hanover & Camp Hill.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football21 View Post
As far as price...it just sort of depends what kind of deal I can get. $150,000 or so. I appreciate the help! I am looking into a few spot at midtown, but will make sure to look into Hampden Township, silver spring, East Hanover & Camp Hill.
$150,000 is going to get you something pretty decent in Midtown and some of the other close-in suburbs, but harder in those newer exurb areas. But if you really want a condo, for that price range I'd look into Riverview Manor.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM

This looks a little "iffy" from the outside. I understand these are new...is this where a lot of young professionals are staying..if you want downtown action?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football21 View Post
This looks a little "iffy" from the outside. I understand these are new...is this where a lot of young professionals are staying..if you want downtown action?
The building is actually beautiful on the outside and inside, it's better in person. The young professional scene is almost entirely in downtown and midtown.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 PM

thanks for the help, Just accepted the job on Friday...so I'll be in Harrisburg soon. I've got an appoint. to check out Riverview Manor. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area