Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,364 times

Advertisements

I am a (hopefully soon to be) first time homebuyer living in Carlisle at the moment but looking at homes in Harrisburg. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the better neighborhoods to be looking into in Harrisburg. I am looking for a place where my home value has the best potential to appreciate over the years but more importantly I'm trying to find a safer part of the city. All I know is that Allison Hill is not a desirable location and parts of Olde Uptown are being renovated heavily. What about Midtown & Uptown? I'm looking at a few homes just outside Olde Uptown near the governor’s mansion, how is that area? Anybody who can lend me some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM

16 posts, read 25,751 times
Red face Finding a home in Hbg

Hi there I live in the Lawnton Development in Swatara Twp behind the Swatara post office...On Eddington Ave- there is a home for $179,000 for sale..it needs a little work and you maybe able to get it for les..considering homes in this area really done stay on the market long, even considering the times. I purchase my home in 2001 for $126,000 and with this market it was apprasied at $210,000.00 just Dec 2008. Home ownership in this area will sale faster than intercity homes..due t the unsurness of what the City COuncil has in store. The Midtown area has been going throgh thee changes since I moved here in 1995 and very little. GreenSt Properties does most of the renovations and the homes do look nice, but really overpriced..not the Green st Properties real estate company but the properties in general. My brother n law paid $169,000 for a suppose to be Brown stone home on Green street- windows had to be replaced- Kitchen needs renovating- last owner was a handyman....cellar basement three floors etc..His home appreciated...in two years-not...it declined...some- he over paid--he wanted that city life...I will take my .50 acres and pool any day.....Ok schools- Central Dauphin is not as great as it once was with the rezoning of Swatara Middle school. Hope this help. also..further down Green st towards susquehanna- is a nice very nice area.....if you want to stay close to the city.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,621,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberts327 View Post
I am a (hopefully soon to be) first time homebuyer living in Carlisle at the moment but looking at homes in Harrisburg. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the better neighborhoods to be looking into in Harrisburg. I am looking for a place where my home value has the best potential to appreciate over the years but more importantly I'm trying to find a safer part of the city. All I know is that Allison Hill is not a desirable location and parts of Olde Uptown are being renovated heavily. What about Midtown & Uptown? I'm looking at a few homes just outside Olde Uptown near the governor’s mansion, how is that area? Anybody who can lend me some advice would be greatly appreciated!
The area right around the Governor's mansion is considered Olde Uptown. This area has the best potential for appreciation. Midtown is the safest bet in the city and has seen dramatic appreciation in the past ten years (some homeowners have really made out well) but for the most part have stopped appreciating. Olde Uptown is sort of poised where Midtown was a decade ago.

Uptown (anything above Maclay) has the least chance of appreciating. As more of Midtown and Olde Uptown gentrify, the bad element gets pushed into Uptown. However 2nd street is pretty good throughout all of Uptown and above Division it is pretty good for the most part.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM

148 posts, read 637,854 times
Do you want to be in the city? The taxes are VERY high and the schools are bad. I have been looking and considered the city but evidently there is a form you must sign at closing to recognize property defects that violate code. You could be on the hook to fix those items if the city ever enforces it. Harrisburg is so compact that I consider Lemoyne, Wormlysburg, Camp Hill, and New Cumberland to also be in the "urban core". I looked at a cape cod on Columbia Ave in Camp Hill the other day for $119,000! That is dirt cheap. I did not care for the sound of 581 in the distance.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoInPA View Post
Do you want to be in the city? The taxes are VERY high and the schools are bad. I have been looking and considered the city but evidently there is a form you must sign at closing to recognize property defects that violate code. You could be on the hook to fix those items if the city ever enforces it. Harrisburg is so compact that I consider Lemoyne, Wormlysburg, Camp Hill, and New Cumberland to also be in the "urban core". I looked at a cape cod on Columbia Ave in Camp Hill the other day for $119,000! That is dirt cheap. I did not care for the sound of 581 in the distance.
Taxes are high but you have to take into consideration that property values are undervalued and quite low compared to the suburbs. So in the end, you might not pay any more in property taxes in the city then you would in Camp Hill for example. That is not always the case however.

Real estate prices are certainly dropping in some of the suburbs! It's kinda scary but it was going to happen sooner or later.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,844 times
Real estate prices are certainly dropping in some of the suburbs!

Which ones? Would you advise not buying this year?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
Real estate prices are certainly dropping in some of the suburbs!

Which ones? Would you advise not buying this year?
I have heard that Camp Hill and East Pennsboro are seeing declines in housing right now. Camp Hill I can't quite explain (so close and convenient to HBG) but East Pennsboro is probably overbuilt. Silver Spring township seems to be having some issues right now, there was a story in the news not too long ago about a developer that literally abandoned a new neighborhood and didn't even bother to finish paving the streets and now the people who live there are suing. Silver Spring Township has been ground zero for all the exurban development the past few years and the new subdivisions are really putting up homes a lot slower in the past few months.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,530 times
Try Dillsburg! Beautiful area, only a 25 min commute to Harrisburg ,Gettysburg or Carlisle. 15 min to turnpike and close to shopping. Younger families are moving to the area, great schools too! There are some wonderful smaller developments with custom built homes on 1 acre lots! Mountain views and clean fresh air. A new development just went in our neighborhood, Equestrian Manor. 8 homes and two were for sale recently. I think the prices range from $300k to $500k. Check it out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area