Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM

41 posts, read 96,100 times

Advertisements

What do people do for fun here? lol.

I have many friends from College who said that don't like living in the area. I wonder why?

Is there nothing for the youth to do?

What recreational activities does the city offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaront View Post
What do people do for fun here? lol.

I have many friends from College who said that don't like living in the area. I wonder why?

Is there nothing for the youth to do?

What recreational activities does the city offer?
I know a few college kids from out of the area who do like it here.

Walking or biking along the river or though the city (capital area greenbelt is great). Downtown restaurants, nightlife and clubs. Midtown arts scene and neighborhood bars. City Island. Broad street market. Hershey chocolate world, gardens and of course HersheyPark. Hiking, boating, biking in one of the dozens of nearby parks and state parks. Day trips to Amish country, Gettysburg, Baltimore, Philly, New York and Washington DC.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaront View Post
Whenever I hear that, I tend to dismiss it as someone trying to be cool by saying how much their hometown sucks. That's vogue, I guess.

I suppose if you're under 21, your options may be limited. But once you cross that line, there is an endless sea of choice (even if downtown could use a little more variety from the "OMG PARTY BAR" scene). I'll even go so far as to say the only way you're going to get a better concentration of nightlife is to hop the train to New York.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Whenever I hear that, I tend to dismiss it as someone trying to be cool by saying how much their hometown sucks. That's vogue, I guess.

I suppose if you're under 21, your options may be limited. But once you cross that line, there is an endless sea of choice (even if downtown could use a little more variety from the "OMG PARTY BAR" scene). I'll even go so far as to say the only way you're going to get a better concentration of nightlife is to hop the train to New York.
There are certainly people have moved away and have the typical "LOL PA and HARRISBURG SUX" mentality. Then there are people who have never heard of the place, come here and love it. Oh well.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:05 AM

19 posts, read 43,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
There are certainly people have moved away and have the typical "LOL PA and HARRISBURG SUX" mentality. Then there are people who have never heard of the place, come here and love it. Oh well.
Well, no matter what anyone says, after accepting a job offer in Harrisburg, I will be moving there within the next couple of weeks from the Jersey Shore. Frankly, it appears to me that between the bars, restaurants, the IMAX, the farmers market, the river, the artsy cinema (etc) the city has some good things to offer.

Other than for a job interview a couple of weeks ago, I had never been to Harrisburg, and even then I was not within city-limits. Thanks to a dozen or so of your posts (some going back a few years) that I read last night on this forum while lurking, I went back today to do some preliminary exploring of the city with at least some idea of where I was going. (e.g. Midtown = Forsters on the South, Marclay on the North, the River on the West, 6th on the East.)

What do you make of that large sky rise on Chestnut Street? The Pennsylvania place or whatever. I imagine many transplants can't pass up the allure of living in a sky rise with a view of the river. But, after reading apartment reviews, I see many people giving it a thumbs down. The consensus seems to be that there are better places that offer the same for cheaper.

I noticed the Grayco apartment complex on 115 North Street has really strong reviews, are you familiar with that?

The more I figure out the more clueless I am. I think I may start by jumping into a room somewhere just outside of the city on a month to month basis and staying there until I have a better idea what the city has to offer and what I want in terms of living.

Anyway, you really have no idea how helpful what you are doing here is for soon-to-be transplant like yours truly, so thanks.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeo View Post
The consensus seems to be that there are better places that offer the same for cheaper. I noticed the Grayco apartment complex on 115 North Street has really strong reviews, are you familiar with that?
I just went through the whole apartment-hunting thing about three months ago. Tour them all, if you have the time!

The Grayco was the classiest of the lot. Very well-kept hardwood floors, friendly staff, and the building seemed to be populated with mostly 20- and 30-something professional / artist types. I passed for three reasons: No private parking, no dishwashers, and barely any A/C (you can rent a window A/C from them, but your rent increases $40 / month for each month that you have it).

For hi-rise downtown living, your choices are Executive House, Pennsylvania Place, and Towne House. All are in decent neighborhoods and within walking distance of downtown Harrisburg.

Towne House is closer to midtown and furthest from downtown, but still within walking distance. Rent is reasonable, if not just a touch on the high side. Thanks to your proximity to Cameron Street, you have fairly easy access to Cameron Street and I-81, and I-83 is only a slight jaunt away. The train station is a half mile away. Being closer to midtown, your entertainment options will be more along the lines of Garrison's and HMAC -- slightly more "refined" places than downtown.

Pennsylvania Place did not impress me at all. This is mostly because of the staff. However, you are practically next door to the train station and adjacent to the SoMa district -- if that ever takes off. You're easily within walking distance of downtown.

Executive House ties with Grayco for being closest to everything downtown. The exterior needs a paint job and the lobby / hallways are somewhat dated. But the apartments are spacious, the management & maintenance are beyond great, you don't hear your neighbors (thick walls), and all utilities are included -- water, sewer, trash, heat, air conditioning, and electric. I currently live here and I love it. Riverfront Park is a block away and Restaurant Row is within eyesight (about 3 blocks away). Midtown is a bit of a hike, but not prohibitively far. The building seems to be mostly 20- and 30-somethings.

I came very close to moving into The Grayco, but the lack of A/C and a dishwasher sealed the deal for Executive House.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I just went through the whole apartment-hunting thing about three months ago. Tour them all, if you have the time!
Strangely enough, I already know that. I stumbled on your blog last night while googling and read your review of Old City Hall. The issue with electric heat and high ceilings was pretty much all I needed to hear.

I will tour them all eventually.For now, it looks like I am just going to jump in a sublet room in a decent house that is already furnished in Penbrook and occupied by some law student; stay there on a month to month basis until I get acclimated to the new job; from there I will be looking for my own place a month or three down the road and I will be seriously considering inside the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9
I passed for three reasons: No private parking, no dishwashers, and barely any A/C (you can rent a window A/C from them, but your rent increases $40 / month for each month that you have it).
Can you just install your own window unit? or is it hard to find the right size or something? In any case, those are issues I will have to consider after checking all the options out. I can see how this could be a deal breaker.

Quote:
For hi-rise downtown living, your choices are Executive House, Pennsylvania Place, and Towne House. All are in decent neighborhoods and within walking distance of downtown Harrisburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl9
House is closer to midtown and furthest from downtown, but still within walking distance. Rent is reasonable, if not just a touch on the high side. Thanks to your proximity to Cameron Street, you have fairly easy access to Cameron Street and I-81, and I-83 is only a slight jaunt away. The train station is a half mile away. Being closer to midtown, your entertainment options will be more along the lines of Garrison's and HMAC -- slightly more "refined" places than downtown
Is it hard to get out of the city at Rush hour in the morning or slightly before, say 7-8am? I imagine most people will be coming into the city, correct?

Quote:
Pennsylvania Place did not impress me at all. This is mostly because of the staff. However, you are practically next door to the train station and adjacent to the SoMa district -- if that ever takes off. You're easily within walking distance of downtown.
I've been getting confused by what's located where. For example, I was under the impression that PA place is located downtown. What would you call this area instead and where is downtown delineated on the South, in your view, market street, wallnut street?

Quote:
Executive House ties with Grayco for being closest to everything downtown. The exterior needs a paint job and the lobby / hallways are somewhat dated. But the apartments are spacious, the management & maintenance are beyond great, you don't hear your neighbors (thick walls), and all utilities are included -- water, sewer, trash, heat, air conditioning, and electric. I currently live here and I love it. Riverfront Park is a block away and Restaurant Row is within eyesight (about 3 blocks away). Midtown is a bit of a hike, but not prohibitively far. The building seems to be mostly 20- and 30-somethings.

I came very close to moving into The Grayco, but the lack of A/C and a dishwasher sealed the deal for Executive House.
Sounds like you made a good choice and I will check all them out. Thank you for the very helpful information.

The city seems to have a lot of potential and it's cool to see that some of you who live there sound excited about it because I am.

Last edited by ekeo; 05-26-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Can you just install your own window unit? or is it hard to find the right size or something? In any case, those are issues I will have to consider after checking all the options out. I can see how this could be a deal breaker.
If you rent their A/C unit, your rent will go up $40 / month for each month that you have it installed. If you bring your own A/C unit, your rent will go up $30 / month for each month that you have it installed. In effect, you pay an extra $30 / month to cover the added electric, and you can optionally pay an extra $10 / month to rent one of their units.

Quote:
Is it hard to get out of the city at Rush hour in the morning or slightly before, say 7-8am? I imagine most people will be coming into the city, correct?
It's pretty easy to get out, for the most part. If you live in the city and work outside the city, you'll always be traveling against rush hour. So in the morning, you're heading out as everyone is heading in, and vice versa. Cameron Street, for example, is absolutely clogged with people leaving the city in the afternoon.

Inbound can be a little heavy at times. I take 83 south into the city around 4-5, and traffic will occasionally come to a crawl around the Eisenhower Interchange all the way up to the 83/581 split. More often than not, however, rush hour traffic southbound is tolerable up until around the 13th Street exit. And by then, it's nothing more than 3-5 minutes of stop-and-go on the Interstate until I hit the Second Street ramp.

Quote:
I've been getting confused by what's located where. For example, I was under the impression that PA place is located downtown. What would you call this area instead and where is downtown delineated on the South, in your view, market street, wallnut street?
Re-reading my post, I should have been clearer. When I said "walking distance to downtown", I really meant "walking distance to Restaurant Row". Sorry about that. Generally, I consider "downtown" to be bordered by (and including) Front Street, Chestnut Street, Third Street, and Forster Street. Restaurant Row (and most of the downtown entertainment) is along Second between Strawberry and Barbara. Of course, none of this is exact; all of the divisions tend to creep and stretch as venues open, close, and relocate.

SoMa is the area from around Third and Chestnut to around Fifth and Walnut (again, open to interpretation). Whether this area will take off or not is anyone's guess, but my thought is that within the next decade it will begin to grow. The plan is to bring in a boutique hotel or two, add some more boutique shops, and some more culturally-upscale entertainment & dining venues. The infrastructure and construction is already mostly present, but so far development has been tepid.

Both Pennsylvania Place and Executive House (and for that matter The Grayco) are definitely downtown.

Quote:
Sounds like you made a good choice and I will check all them out. Thank you for the very helpful information. The city seems to have a lot of potential and it's cool to see that some of you who live there sound excited about it because I am.
It really is a great place to live (though I wouldn't buy property here right now). It's not without its flaws, and we definitely have room for improvement, but that just adds character. The last decade has been very good to downtown and midtown. Nobody can say for certain whether or not that momentum will continue, but that uncertainty exists in every city in every state.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
If you rent their A/C unit, your rent will go up $40 / month for each month that you have it installed. If you bring your own A/C unit, your rent will go up $30 / month for each month that you have it installed. In effect, you pay an extra $30 / month to cover the added electric, and you can optionally pay an extra $10 / month to rent one of their units.
Ah, I see. Thanks. That's not too bad, really.

Quote:
It's pretty easy to get out, for the most part. If you live in the city and work outside the city, you'll always be traveling against rush hour. So in the morning, you're heading out as everyone is heading in, and vice versa.
Yes, I will be working out of an office in Middletown near Industrial Way (?) and Commerce drive.

Quote:
Inbound can be a little heavy at times. I take 83 south into the city around 4-5, and traffic will occasionally come to a crawl around the Eisenhower Interchange all the way up to the 83/581 split. More often than not, however, rush hour traffic southbound is tolerable up until around the 13th Street exit. And by then, it's nothing more than 3-5 minutes of stop-and-go on the Interstate until I hit the Second Street ramp.

Quote:
Re-reading my post, I should have been clearer. When I said "walking distance to downtown", I really meant "walking distance to Restaurant Row". Sorry about that. Generally, I consider "downtown" to be bordered by (and including) Front Street, Chestnut Street, Third Street, and Forster Street. Restaurant Row (and most of the downtown entertainment) is along Second between Strawberry and Barbara. Of course, none of this is exact; all of the divisions tend to creep and stretch as venues open, close, and relocate.
I see. Downtown is often used as shorthand for Restaurant Row.

Quote:
SoMa is the area from around Third and Chestnut to around Fifth and Walnut (again, open to interpretation). Whether this area will take off or not is anyone's guess, but my thought is that within the next decade it will begin to grow. The plan is to bring in a boutique hotel or two, add some more boutique shops, and some more culturally-upscale entertainment & dining venues. The infrastructure and construction is already mostly present, but so far development has been tepid.
Yeah, I've read about some of those plans and the "marketing" of the area with the name SoMa. Restaurant Row is definitely cool, but at 34, I've been there and done that in other places. I still like to party like 1999 on some nights, but for the most part, I would be looking for something a little more mellow. Considering that the median age of the city is 33, there would seem to be an open niche for more culturally refined entertainment downtown. It's hard to see how you could go wrong with that kind of development and it's the right area for it.

Quote:
It really is a great place to live (though I wouldn't buy property here right now). It's not without its flaws, and we definitely have room for improvement, but that just adds character. The last decade has been very good to downtown and midtown. Nobody can say for certain whether or not that momentum will continue, but that uncertainty exists in every city in every state.
Well, the city has definitely been striving hard to recreate itself, maybe harder than most in similar post-industrial situations. It's impossible not to root for it.

Thank you for all your answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area