Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,974 times

Advertisements

Well we are sick of the problems with Richmond.. We have been in the middle location wise of too many murders that have come within a few feet of our house.. and we have kids! We're by Mechanicsville and this city is just making me sick as each day passes. We were considering moving to Hampton.. or something close. We've driven around there one day and It looked pretty laid back. We have no other knowledge of the area other than online reviews. We have a 3 year old, teen and young adult. What would be the best area to live in Hampton if possible? We like the idea of living by the water in such a laid back city. I have asked before what are the goods and bads of Hampton but when they compared it to Richmond I was told there were none.

If you have been to Richmond or live there I basically want to stay away from the "Church Hills" and just a nice area with a good high school at least. Starting out we wanted to rent at an apartment until we know the area better, anything good less than 1000. We hoped to rent but we need to know the area first. Please post detailed reviews of the city of Hampton.. we need as much help as we can get right now. I would really like to know what that city is like, and whats the difference between Hampton and the surrounding counties. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Hampton does have its problems but nowhere near as bad as Richmond. If i had to choose one or the other i'll take Hampton in a second. The safer and more desirable side of Hampton is by Langley and the york county line. That area also is zoned for Bethel High which is an ok high school. Kecoughtan HS also decent but i'm not aware of area that's zoned in. If you want some better choices look in York County which has great schools but you'll pay for them alright. one apt complex that is very new and is very liked is Falcon Creek which is zoned for Bethel High. frankly i'd be wary of hampton by buckaroe beach and ft. monroe if you take one look at that area you'll see why.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,974 times
Ok great thanks I could use the change. The only other problem I noted was there didn't really seem to be any homes for sale.. or really being built there. Maybe we didn't look long enough.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,858 times
I would be careful here...just noting that some nice parts of this area, are awfully expensive and if you get a cheap home, your pay for that, dearly. I don't blame you bout wanting to leave Richmond, we had checked out that area and did not like what we seen or heard. Do not trust a realtor to be completely honest with you either, they want to sell homes and make money, trust me on this one! If you go, why not try Wiliamsburg, just be sure you have bout 230,000 or more for a home, and be careful where you go to buy it as well, and at 230...I would look at townhomes vs single family homes. There are some very nice homes in the gated communities, but they are pricey. There are still a few areas that are not gated, that are ok for now, don't know what the future holds here, but drive through the day and see how many people are just hanging out smoking outside on their front steps, and look sorta of bored. You can usually tell...I hope you find something soon, I know how you feel, but I had to warn you cause alot of areas look really nice and they aren't!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,379,430 times
if your near church hill you are just about in the ok corral, why not look further east past mechnicsville, king william county, new kent county, hanover county?
i cant say that hampton will be much better unless you move towards yorktown and then its big bucks.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:18 PM

798 posts, read 2,729,555 times
We live in the Tabb area of Yorktown and I would recommend taking a look there. You pay a bit more for your home but the school system is terrific and the tax rate is one of if not the best in the area. I think inthe next few weeks you will see a lot of home on the market. Hampton Roads has a very large military presence and Tabb is close to Langley AFB. Lots of folks move every summer.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
We live in the Tabb area of Yorktown and I would recommend taking a look there. You pay a bit more for your home but the school system is terrific and the tax rate is one of if not the best in the area. I think inthe next few weeks you will see a lot of home on the market. Hampton Roads has a very large military presence and Tabb is close to Langley AFB. Lots of folks move every summer.
I also second tabb. Argubably best schools in HR. just wait, this market always heats up b4 summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area