Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 46,757 times

Advertisements

I reside in Louisville, KY and have been offered positions in both Charlotte and the Hampton Roads area. I am in the social service field and both positions are "in home" positions. The Hampton Roads job would focus on low income families in the Norfolk, VA area though I would probably live in Chesapeake or Va Beach. The Charlotte position is based in Concord and I would probably live in Concord or somewhere in Charlotte where it would not be a bad commute. This company serve low income families in Charlotte and surrounding counties, anything within an hour's drive of Concord. I have visited Charlotte once and Hampton Roads area several times (a few years ago). Can anyone give a fair comparison of the two areas in terms of crime/safety, nightlife, purchasing a home, taxes, etc...? I have heard that Norfolk can be quite dangerous in some areas. The company doesn't allow employees to work after sunset, I am assuming it is because of this. Can anyone elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 11:24 AM
BJL

1 posts, read 7,754 times
Default Charlotte vs. Hampton Roads

Hi,

Our family lived in Charlotte for 15 years, on the southside. 18 months ago we moved to Hampton Roads. Now, while I'll try to be fair, I have to let you know that we really didn't want to move, so I have a chip on my shoulder against Hampton Roads, just because it isn't Charlotte where all our dearest friends are.

In terms of cost of living/housing, Charlotte is much more affordable. You can get at least 30% more house for your money in Charlotte. Charlotte is much friendlier overall than Hampton Roads(HR). There are dangerous areas in Charlotte, but it is a safe city overall. The growth in the Concord region is huge, so you would want to check your commute timing before you settle on a potential neighborhood (drive it both coming and going, at the right times because traffic is surprising in Charlotte). You'd need to do the same in Chesapeake or wherever because traffic in HR is more unpredictable with tunnels and bridges affecting traffic flow. Nightlife in Uptown Charlotte is booming these days. There is plenty of opportunity to get out and meet people. Johnston and Wales has brought a whole new flavor to Charlotte with food and fun.

After living in Hampton Roads for over a year, it is easier for me to see the shortcomings of Charlotte, and they are hidden from casual view. On the down side, Charlotte has no solid bones....it is a disposable community--old things are thrown away or torn down, and new, fresh, beautiful is preferred. It is a very consumer-based, money hungry area. It sometimes reminds me of that movie "The Truman Show"--lots of Charlotte seems to be an illusion. There is an illusion of money everywhere. This may be important to you in your work.

Norfolk has plenty of crime to go around--and so do many of the surrounding communities (practically all of them, aside from Williamsburg). There are quiet communities, but many are close to high crime areas. Hampton Roads seems healthier to me than Charlotte in some ways. There is wonderful diversity here--racially things are much much better here than in Charlotte. In Charlotte there is a big divide between whites and blacks, and now Latinos. It is definitely "southern". HR is much more like a mid-atlantic city with more cross-over between cultures and races. Both areas have lots of transplants--here it's mostly military influx. In Charlotte there are lots of people moving south from NY, PA, NJ, etc.

As far as taxes go, both towns are similar. Sales tax here is slightly lower, but with the housing market so much better in Charlotte, I don't think it makes that much difference.

I think that with the population you will be working, you will be in areas of higher crime, no matter which town you choose. I would say there is more crime in HR per capita (at least it seems that way from the news, and definitely is in the schools here). I don't know that much about nightlife in Norfolk since I'm married w/kids now and haven't had much opportunity to get out and about as much.

Hope this is helpful.

BJL

Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,587 times
You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Newport News/Hampton Roads...BAD NEWS would be more of an approiate name. I have no idea what Charolette is like, so I can't comment on that! Good luck!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Take Charlotte!!! Especially since your job would be in Concord, a very nice little rural town, very safe. It is actually not in the same county as Charlotte, but very close. You could find a 3 bedroom house to rent for about $800. a month. You would be dealing with more country folks in your job than inner city like I suspect you would be in Newport News. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 AM

I agree with moutain...you could rent a home in newport news, but if it was 800, it would be in the bad part of town! You may be able to rent a half decent 2bed for 800 down that way, if you lucked out maybe...but I would never suggest to rent there. You could rent a nice one/two bedroom in Williamsburg and commute for bout 1,000.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsburg,Va View Post
You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Newport News/Hampton Roads...BAD NEWS would be more of an approiate name. I have no idea what Charolette is like, so I can't comment on that! Good luck!
I agree with the Newport News area, I fell in love with Wilamsburg, and a realtor tried to talk me single, into the News, no way! this was 8 years ago, it did not seem safe.

judy

Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 PM

Realtors for the most part here, do not care bout us, only our money, that is why if you do not know for sure that you can trust yours 110 percent, it is best to go to one of those free seminars on how to sell or buy your own home, thousands of people do it and do it successfully and they only charge 1 percent if you choose to have help with representation verses the 8-10 or more of your homes value! That is alot of money saved and I can't stress this enough here too, research research and research the area, the home, do inspections yourself, do not rely on the seller to tell you! When it comes to money, even the most honest person can rip you off, I been burnt more than once and learned it the hard way, so beware, and edcuate yourself!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:05 PM

I once met a woman who seemed nice, wanted to be my friend and etc cause she knew I was in the market to buy a home and she was just starting out in the business, and soon as I told her no, she never emailed me again, and she is one of those christians who swear up and down they are trustworthy and loyal and blah blah blah, please beaware!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 AM

32 posts, read 172,552 times
I am from Hampton Roads - Graduated HS in York County, graduated college in VA and lived in Norfolk for about 3 years.

I now live in Huntersville, NC - a suburban town in Mecklenburg county bordering northern Charlotte. I will be moving back to Hampton Roads soon, but for career related purposes and not b/c I don't like Charlotte. Concord is part of my region I oversee as well. I think the first person nailed much of the comparisons, but here's my perspective to add....

Although Charlotte is more of a "southern" town when it comes to race relations, I still feel it is more progressive than Hampton Roads. Both areas are roughly the same size, but Charlotte appears to be growing at a faster clip. I feel there are about the same cultural amenities when comparing the 2regions, but there are big things happening in Charlotte (Pro sports, new museums, art galleries, light rail, etc). Its cheaper in Charlotte (more home for the $$), better schools overall in Charlotte, less traffic and w/ light rail - they're trying to address the small traffic issues they do have pro-actively.

In my opinion, Charlotte is a more progressive, up and coming, cleaner, greener region. Concord itself is very much like any suburban town (Chesapeake) w/ its strip malls, chain restaraunts and over-all predictable, bland, but safe feel.

I do agree that the Charlotte area is very image oriented. Kind of pretentious. More materialistic. Maybe its due to the banking industry? I'm not sure, but plastic surgery, people living above their means and keeping up w/ the Jones' seems to be priority # 1 here in Charlotte.

Norfolk like any city has its good areas and bad. Hampton Roads is what I consider home and I'll be happy to move back, but in my opinion - Charlotte has more to offer... just snobbier. Charlotte seems to be better suited to the 21st Century economy. More diversified w/ finance, and bio-tech vs. Hampton Roads' over-dependence on Military and Civil Service jobs.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 PM

I really feel nervous when I do go into NN to visit the mall down that way...its sad cause its a beautiful area but the crime element is growing and not getting any better, why is this anyhow? What is to blame here? I am not originally from here, so I am a bit curious as to how things got out of hand? There is a large segment that do not speak english and yet to prosper as well, I often wonder how some people get by, I know If I did not speak english I would not be able to hold down a job much less get by in an civilized way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area