Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,518 times

Advertisements

I just moved to VA Friday and am in the process of looking for a place to live. I am in the Army, stationed at Ft. Eustis. I was wondering if anyone knows of apartment complexes/areas that you would recommend I look at or stay away from. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,587 times
Stay out of Newport News...

If you can afford it, and I would try to cut back on other things in order to afford it, I would go to the following areas for apts and homes..

APTS off of longhill Rd (around the community center) are all nice, safe and some are more than others but all in all, they are in the best areas for apts.

If you must go to NN, the only apt community that I would reccomend would be Chelsey Place, and only if you have no children, NN schools for children are the worse, the crime is out of control and nice areas, what are left are just as costly as any decent place in Williamsburg.

New Kent, Toano and out that way, are all decent areas, even the grove area is changing, and its just as peaceful in my opinion as other areas of Williamsburg, I lived in gated communities here, so I know. You could look into the new townhomes they are building off of 60 in the grove area, I do not know if any more are left but they are nice under 200K! They are NOT seciton 8 or low income either. I think their number is 247-1447 but am not sure, I would take a drive by and go see for myself, as they are new completion!

Perks of Williamsburg are also unlimited free admission to Colonial, Yorktown and Jamestown for like 10 bucks a year! And if you buy, your home value will keep increasing a whole lot faster than some other areas. Yorktown is also a nice area, but you have be careful where, not real sure of where there bad areas are, but I do know they have them, where Williamsburg as a whole is better than most other areas in the region, meaning the worse areas are better than some of the nice areas in NN. Stay out of Portsmouth.

Hope this helps you! Its my two cents from my own personal experiences. Also its a good idea to drive around places and look at what is going on around the homes, are they kept up? Is someone drinking and smoking on their front porch as if they have nothing else better to do in life? I would rent first myself, and then research to what I found to be ok for me! Best of luck to you! You can expect rent to be from 800+ in Williamsburg for a one bedroom/studio apt.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 11,518 times
thank you very much for your insight "williamsburg." ironically, that was my intention; to rent (hopefully in williamsburg) and then buy a house there. i appreciate you taking the time to respond. enjoy the holiday!

Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM

Your welcomed, if you have any other questions bout the area and what to do and etc, let me know! You are wise to stick to Wililamsburg, esp if you buy cause your home value will keep climbing where it may not do so in NN, even in the nicer parts, homes values just don't do as well...that is why we spent as much as we did on an townhome, cause it is in a good area, good schools, free benefits and home valuations increases that made us 20 grand in only four months of home ownership! The area just doesn't have enough housing for all who want to reside here, so they are building where they can. And new homes for the most are out of the moderate income ranges, but there is still some housing that is affordable, depends on how picky you are, if you do not mind country living, industrial plants nearby and etc, you may be able to live here for a ton less....and I seen trouble in ALL areas, nice and not so nice, people are like that everywhere, at least in VA, your still better off than most other places that are not Williamsburg! Enjoy yours as well!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
There Is Plenty Of Apts Around Ft Eustis. Jefferson Ave And Fort Eustis Bld, And Jefferson Ave And Lee Hall Area, These Places Were Built For The Ever Moving Army Folks

Old 09-23-2006, 06:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Hampton is a pretty good place to live espically around Langley and York Co. it's really great for military.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 AM

61 posts, read 94,274 times
There's absolutely no reason to live too far away from Fort Eustis. Within York County, Newport News, Hampton, and close to the base there are a lot places, some nicer than others, but still plenty of them. Because I don't live directly in that area to know the names of places, it's best to visit the area if even for a short time. It's pretty easy to tell where the nicer areas are near Ft. Eustis. Actually, you shouldn't have to be as far west as Williamsburg or East as Hampton, unless you want to.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Default Speaking of Fort Eustis....

....it was once a Confederate prison, housing Union troops.

It is home of the Army Transportation Corps, been there many times as a former civilian Army transporter type.

Someone once told me "Eustis" was an acronym....."Even Uncle Sam Thinks It Stinks" ......ahhhh, army humor.....

s/Mike

Old 09-29-2006, 06:53 AM

I live in the grove area, most affordable housing in Williamsburg. its is country like over here, but it is a far cry of the crime in nn and if you work in Ft Eutsis, it is close!
We are right over the border from Denbigh and FT Eustis and I feel safe to live here, so much more than NN or even Denbigh, which is part of NN but considered safer? I lived in NN and left in 7 months! Came to the grove area and am thankful there is an area in this overpriced overrated town that I can afford to live in!

Drive down rt 60, your be ok, won't get mugged or killed, I drive down here everyday with my child. Like any area anywhere, you don't go out at night, unless of course you have too! Anyhow, our area is building up here and there are some nice homes/townhomes in here! The mobile homes are mostly tucked in back, except one that I believe! Its not as pretty as the rich side of town, but even over there, there are serious problems and oddly enough some things I never seen here! I could go on, but I have a life here and must go! But if you want more info, email me!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:00 AM

In fact there are four homes for sale in my neck of the woods, would cost you as much rent to own if you lived in most safe areas of NN or apts in other parts of Williamsburg. I just bought my home in April and it already appreciated 15 grand! The value goes up cause there is not much affordable living in Williamsburg, cause most of what they build anymore is out of most common(middle class) peoples reach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area