Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 13,330 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are thinking of relocating to the Hampton Roads area from Connectricut, we have a 15 year old son with special needs, and we'd like to know which school systems is best for special education in the least restrictive enviroment. Currently our son has a one on one aid, he is very social and loves learning. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,670 times
I can tell you this, best to stay out of Portsmouth! Our son is classified as special ed (since the 2nd grade) due to his reading ability - not a handicap situation. We moved from Fairfax County, VA schools -which are some of the best in the country to one of the worst. Fortunately we moved when our son was in the 6th grade and he had received excellent education up to that point. Over the recnet years he has caught up with the rest of his class and never uses any additional help that is available. After his first year in school here, they placed him in Honors/AP classes!! I was livid! However, after meetings with counselors they agreed that his reading was still behind, but he was exceling in all other areas and they needed to challenge him to keep him from getting bored.

What I actually see here, is that this school system is clearly behind what we were used to in Fairfax County. So in their eyes, my son is further ahead than many other students - thus the Honors classes. However, I'm almost positive he would have gotten frustrated in Fairfax School and may have stayed behind. Anyway (didn't mean to ramble on about me)...

I hope some other people can post about other school systems in this area, I just would not recommend Portsmouth (then again no one else here would). It has worked out well for my son, but probably not in your situation. From what I have heard - Va Beach has some great schools (not all of them) but certain areas. Also, York County schools (near Williamsburg) are very good.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,616,129 times
I'm a special education teacher, and IMO from talking with several teachers from several districts Virginia Beach is the best in the area for special education.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Default Special Education In Hampton Roads

Stacylee 926, thanks for your reply...we will be sure to steer clear of Portsmouth ! I appreciate the heads up, good luck with your son, I know you must be proud.

SpaZKAT9696...Thank you for your response, bthw, our son will be starting 9th grade next year, since you are a special Ed teacher, I wonder if you could tell me which school in VA Beach is best for Special Ed. Do they " main stream " ? , Use " resource rooms " or is ther a " special Ed school " per se. Thanks...

Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,616,129 times
Virginia beach provides a full spectrum of placements dependent on the students abilities and behavior. They do operate a moderate to severe disabilities program at Princess Anne high school which takes out of zone students. It is a great program. The students operate a café' in the school cafeteria to learn job skills. Without knowing your son I'm going to give you a few links. Please disregard them if they are not applicable. I just want to make you aware of some of the local services provided.

VBCPS - Programs for Exceptional Children - Special Education
Special Education at Princess Anne High School <- this link gives an overview of how the princess Anne program works including inclusion
Eggleston Services
Endependence Center Inc - Center for Independent Living
SECEP | History

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Special Education in Hampton Roads

Spazkat9696, thank you for all the good information, your help is much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area