Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 13,022 times

Advertisements

The one thing I forgot to bring with me to the hospital and really wished I would have remembered was my boppy pillow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM

18 posts, read 46,036 times
I gave birth there in 1/2003 and 4/2004.

I didn't receive much help with breastfeeding and I ultimately ended up formula feeding my eldest. I had my second baby there just 14 months later and I really educated myself on BFing and I brought my Pump In Style with me and I ended up nursing her for 2 years. She never got one bottle or a single drop of formula. The reason I brought my own pump was when I needed one the first time, I could never get one or they would come and take it away for someone else to use. I needed a pump to help get the baby to latch on to one side b/c I have latch issues so it is a necessity to me. I don't remember hearing a peep from a lactation consultant.

They followed the typical hospital birth routine where you pretty much get strapped down to the bed and hooked up to all kinds of wires and monitors and IVs. I desired a natural birth and in that environment, it did not pan out.

It was very clean.

I had my third at a birth center and had a great experience and finally got to have my all-natural birth.

I don't plan on having a 5th child, but if I did- I would still consider delivering there just b/c I am older now and more big-mouthed and I am a better advocate for myself than I was when I was a younger new mom.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,811 times
I delivered at Porstmouth Naval Hospital in 2005 so a lot might have changed since then but, I'm surprised to see all the negative comments. I delivered all three of my kids at different hospitals and I have to say that Portsmouth was by far THE BEST hospital I have EVER been to! You have to remember that each person has their own expectations and their own experiences giving birth.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,621 times
I had one of the best birthing expereinces at Portsmouth in my life bettter than a private hospital I went to with my second because we were not in the area for my second birth. The nurses were very attentive and all of the staff was very nice there. I could not imagine going to a better hospital for anything else. I gave birth on a Holiday as well with an unplanned c-section in 2006!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 PM

19 posts, read 34,056 times
I'd never recommend first time mothers to go to Portsmouth Naval! I had my second child at Portsmouth Naval back in 2006 and it was a nightmare. My child got a abscess on her scalp from the fetal monitor because they did not clean her thoroughly after removing the monitor. They released her when she had jaundice and had to be readmitted a week later. The nurses weren't very helpful and my anesthesiologist was just plain rude. I will NEVER give birth at Portsmouth Naval hospital ever again. I get the feeling at Portsmouth that everyone is a government employee & knows they can't lose their job so they could care less, Private hospitals are 'looking' to get/keep your business and the staff is more accountable. Sorry that's my opinion

Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
Default Portsmouth Naval Hospital

I gave birth in June 2012 at this hospital, please if anyway possible do not go there. They broke my water and then waited too long to deliver my child. By the time they came to deliver me, he and I was in oxygen need, and he was in distress. Once he was delivered he and I both had fever. I had gotten and infection from waiting too long after my water broke to have him delivered. So he we had to take antibiotics ( mine was no big deal) his was 5 x a day for 3 days through and IV. He was a lrge baby 9lbs-1oz. His skull cut into his scalp, he was a little blue from low oxygen and we were not informed but his right clavical was broken during birth. This is the arm they placed the IV into, so between the IV and broken clavical he was in constant pain and we did not know about his clavical until one week from when we were released from hospital. My nursing and Mommy time was constantly interupted. He and I both were stressed to our limits. The nurses, lactation instructor and anyone else I came into contact with was rude and unprofessional.
Trying to nurse there was IMPOSSIBLE! This did not help our bonding time. When I took a stroll there were babies at every station having IV treatments of some kind. This was very alarming, how can so many babies be born with this many concerns. Something has to be done with the type of care or lack of it given at such a serious moment in ones' life. NO ONE came around my room until there was problems and concerns, my room went from me, my spouse and Mom for 20 hrs to 10 medical people and us in about 5 minutes once complications started. Where were all of thes medical people before? Why was i l forgotten for so long? Why was my baby and many others needing such drastic care of antibiotics and worse?
Mothers take care all 10 months of their babies, they should not be abused by what should be Medical Professional that care and are there to help and protect us. I wish all the Mom's, Dad's and children born during my time there health, happiness and peace. I do care for you and wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: