Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,639 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the military and thinking about moving to the churchland area in Portsmouth. I'm only an E-5 so I cant afford a palace or anything so there were a few remodeled homes in the Peachtree area that look pretty nice and are affordable;however, I have family living in the Burbage Grant area in Suffolk telling me that it's kind of a bad area compared to 10 years ago when I last lived here. I really don't see it. Maybe I need to drive through there at night. Is it really that bad out there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,759 times
I live in Churchland and generally most of it is relatively safe. I am unfamiliar with Peachtree though. Can you give me a street name and I can look at mapquest and tell you? Or even a main street?

The Churchland area behind the DMV is not so great - that is the only area that I can say you might want to avoid.

There are some apts in Churchland on Cedar Road at Churchland High School that are fine. Also College Square seems pretty affordable and it is right on High Street.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,759 times
OK, I found an address on Peach Orchard Circle and looked it up. I would say it is questionable, but not necessarily bad. That area has alot of SFH, probably lower middle income families. You would definitely want to go through at night to get a feel. However, even though Ptown gets a bad rap, Churchland is no where near the not so great neighborhoods. The worst neighborhoods are on the exact opposite side of the city.

The good thing is that they are really building up the Walmart area and it is quite nice. It is close to the highways and plenty of shopping for daily needs. Also, housing is probably more affordable here than other parts of HR. With all the commercial work going on near the Walmart and on College Drive, my guess is that property values will increase in those neighborhoods.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 85,567 times
You might want to take a look at Olde Towne in Portsmouth. I live there and love it. It's a pedestrian friendly neighborhood with restaurants, pubs, a library, nice housing, a ferry to downtown Norfolk. I've been living here since Feb of this year and enjoy the community. With gas being what it is and the price of it probably going higher, you might consider this area.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,456,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true soldier View Post
I'm currently in the military and thinking about moving to the churchland area in Portsmouth. I'm only an E-5 so I cant afford a palace or anything so there were a few remodeled homes in the Peachtree area that look pretty nice and are affordable;however, I have family living in the Burbage Grant area in Suffolk telling me that it's kind of a bad area compared to 10 years ago when I last lived here. I really don't see it. Maybe I need to drive through there at night. Is it really that bad out there now?
Are you stationed at Norfolk Naval Station, Little Creek, Oceana or Portsmouth Naval Hospital? If you are at PNH, it would be beneficial, with the price of fuel, but if it's the other areas, take a hard look at your commute. With my job, I go through 90 every other week in gas.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 AM

45 posts, read 172,713 times
You can buy a home with your Va home loan benefits and with zero money down. First step is talk to your home loan officer at the credit union or bank, or let me know if you need a reputable local mortgage lender in the area to find how much VA home loan amount are you qualified to borrow. Once you know how much you're qualified for, let me know what features are you looking for your dream home so I can set your home search criteria, then I can forward you by email the MLS list of properties in Portsmouth area which are within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area