Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 41,015 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

I am looking to relocate to Virginia in February 2008. I currently live in Ewing, NJ ( a suburb right outside of Trenton). I would like to find a 1-2 bedroom apartment or condo/townhome in a decent neighborhood. I know crime is everywhere, but I do not want to hear gunshots, nor do I want to have to rush in the house when it gets dark. If anyone knows of any communties that do not have a lot of kids that would be great also. So out of the three area's that I have listed, what are the best areas to live in? Where should I stay away from? Oh also what are the big companies here? (Job wise)

I currently live in a 1 bedroom w. a den and pay $1235 a month, so I am looking to pay a little less than that.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Apartment wise, I only know Virginia Beach. Currently, I pay $785 for my two-bedroom apartment, and it's NOT bad at all. I absolutely love it. If you ever have problems with bugs, they have exterminators that will take care of it for free.

However, there are apartments complexes that are MUCH more expensive.

Here's a local apartment guide

If you'd like, find one that you think you like and I'll drive by and check it out for you. I'll message you what my personal opinion is based on car types, what type of military (civilians, enlisted, officers) and check out the crime rating.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 41,015 times
Wow thank you soo much. I really apppreciate it.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 PM

59 posts, read 469,444 times
Default In respose to your ad.

Hello,

I remember paying those prices back in New York, check out Portsmouth too. I live in the section called Old Towne, it's the downtown section. Very clean and quiet and right by the water. Be careful though, like Norfolk, some areas are straight GHETTO. I live in a condo community that is privately owned and near everything (both of my balconies face the downtown tunnel) going straight to Norfolk. There are all 2 bedrooms out here, some units have fireplaces, one or two balonies and have two floors, (yeah they are nice) and they rent from $650 to $700 per mo.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 AM

43 posts, read 214,143 times
When I first moved here a few years ago I lived in Green Tree Apts. in the Greenbrier section of Chesapeake. They are very nice and well kept for under $1000/month. Also, it is close to shopping and the interstate. A lot of the business area was recently built and is still expanding, which gives it a nice "new" feel to the area. Trust me, it is worth checking out.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,442 times
Can you please give me some info on finding a nice place that is near the naval base please. We have no children. I need a three bedroom/two bath house with a fenced in yard. Rural is fine. my issue is finding a place that misses all the traffic. thank you so very much.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex2008 View Post
Can you please give me some info on finding a nice place that is near the naval base please. We have no children. I need a three bedroom/two bath house with a fenced in yard. Rural is fine. my issue is finding a place that misses all the traffic. thank you so very much.
Which base?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagemini View Post
Good morning everyone,

I am looking to relocate to Virginia in February 2008. I currently live in Ewing, NJ ( a suburb right outside of Trenton). I would like to find a 1-2 bedroom apartment or condo/townhome in a decent neighborhood. I know crime is everywhere, but I do not want to hear gunshots, nor do I want to have to rush in the house when it gets dark. If anyone knows of any communties that do not have a lot of kids that would be great also. So out of the three area's that I have listed, what are the best areas to live in? Where should I stay away from? Oh also what are the big companies here? (Job wise)

I currently live in a 1 bedroom w. a den and pay $1235 a month, so I am looking to pay a little less than that.

Thanks in advance!
Where are you going to work? Tunnels, bridges, and clogged highways can be a big factor in choosing a house.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,972 times
My family and I are locating from Ann Arbor, MI to the Virginia Beach - chesapeake - hampton area. We have 2 elementary school age children. We are interested in good schools and initially looking to lease either a townhome, condo or single family home. We appreciate any information that can assist us in our search. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoverShaker View Post
My family and I are locating from Ann Arbor, MI to the Virginia Beach - chesapeake - hampton area. We have 2 elementary school age children. We are interested in good schools and initially looking to lease either a townhome, condo or single family home. We appreciate any information that can assist us in our search. Thank you in advance.
I think we need more info. about what you are looking for. Price range, where you'll be working, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area