Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 9,115 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the crime is like..cause we are considering moving to harbor square apartments in Portsmouth and we are wondering if there is anything we should know about before we do cause we have a child..And want safety for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 18,131 times
I registered on this forum just to respond to this question. A little background on me: I used to be a cop in Portsmouth, so I am intimately familiar with the crime problems of the city.

Portsmouth is the highest crime city in Virginia, per capita. The neighborhood you are looking at is in what I would consider the worst area in Portsmouth. I cannot overemphasize that you should NOT live there if you are looking for a low crime place to live.

There are a couple decent places in Portsmouth, but that particular area is not what I would call "family friendly".

Last edited by SixtySix; 09-30-2010 at 06:03 AM..

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 17,960 times
Hi There, My family and I are looking to move to the Old Town area of Portsmouth. What about this area on crime? I am looking in the neighborhood, Port Norfolk and Northside. I am not familiar,at all, with these areas except for what I see online. I do have two small children as well and want a place that is best for them also! Any opinion would be appreciated!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 18,131 times
The problem with living in that area (and really, Portsmouth in general outside of Churchland) is that you can go from half million dollar houses to the ghetto in about five blocks.

I've attached a map and circled the areas that I would consider moving to if by some cosmic event I was compelled to live in Portsmouth. At the top left of the map, you'll see a bridge (Rt 17) that goes out to Churchland, which is like Portsmouth's suburbs. Churchland still has some bad neighborhoods, but not as bad as the rest of Portsmouth.

JMcQ, are you looking to buy or rent? You can get decent homes in Portsmouth in nice neighborhoods, but there are really only one or two apartment complexes that I would consider worthwhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Portsmouth?-portsmouth.jpg  

Old 10-02-2010, 11:14 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
I worked EMS in Portsmouth and can say, without reservation, that I would not live in Portsmouth. As SixtySix said you can go from very high priced homes to projects in blocks, and the people who live in the projects have no compunctions of going to the nicer neighborhoods for mischief. Live in Chesapeake or Virginia Beach and work in Portsmouth (if you have to).

Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,999 times
Smile Relocating I am looking for a rural rental house in Isle of Wight County Va

I am relocating to Virginia and need any referrals on rental housing in Isle of Wight County. Let me know anything positive. Thank You!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM

85 posts, read 416,659 times
I do not have any referrals but there is a good mom and pop carry out in the heart of the projects if you are willing to risk your life for good food . It is Mama Chans. When I was in college and feeling invincible we would drive to "P-Town" for their beef egg foo young.

The advice given to you in this post is very accurate.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 17,960 times
Thank you all for your imput! I have found the spotcrime.com site and that has also been very informative to which areas are worse than others also. I will continue to do research. Luckily we will get a chance to visit the area before we make a purchase. Norfolk area will probably be better for us considering, I hear the traffic is pretty bad, my husband will be working close to the airport.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 15,071 times
Portsmouth is just like any other city it has its bad areas. I would lean more toward Churchland if you have to move to portsmouth. Virginia Beach was just removed from one of America's safest cities. So I would go more toward Chesapeake or Suffolk. I hope this helps!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:59 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcQ View Post
Thank you all for your imput! I have found the spotcrime.com site and that has also been very informative to which areas are worse than others also. I will continue to do research. Luckily we will get a chance to visit the area before we make a purchase. Norfolk area will probably be better for us considering, I hear the traffic is pretty bad, my husband will be working close to the airport.
Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach: pretty easy to get to the airport from any of those cities. You'll always have the 64 and 264 traffic but at least none of the tunnel crap. The Midtown and Downtown tunnels can try the patience of the most serene of people. Midtown tunnel traffic backed up to 21st is bad, Midtown tunnel backed up to ODU is a nightmare of epic proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area