Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 01:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,401,876 times

Advertisements

How do you explain to a stylist that you prefer clean, blunt layers with a scissor cut? I prefer a classic cut, and yet two seperate stylists have obviously misunderstood me. Where am I going wrong in my explanation? I even brought a photo...
Help! AM I leaving out some terminology?

Last edited by Kimmie; 11-18-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: tried to edit for spelling in subject...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
No. They are just not listening to you. You can do it with normal shears. I don't think most know how to or want to spend the time to. Find and older stylist or better stylist that listens. If you do have thick hair it can take longer to cut with shears than a razor. Just tell them you tend to frizz with the razor and you want a blunt end with scissor blending v snips for shape and thinning out extra hair.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
How do you explain to a stylist that you prefer clean, blunt layers with a scissor cut? I prefer a classic cut, and yet two seperate stylists have obviously misunderstood me. Where am I going wrong in my explanation? I even brought a photo...
Help! AM I leaving out some terminology?
This has been one of my greatest frustrations since leaving my excellent stylist when I relocated to another state. My once gorgeous, thick and perfect hair is now thinned out and just a mess to style. I've gone through four salons and stylists and am thinking of moving on again. This last time I found someone who does great color and does use scissors. She either doesn't listen or does what she wants in spite of what I repeatedly ask.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
This has been one of my greatest frustrations since leaving my excellent stylist when I relocated to another state. My once gorgeous, thick and perfect hair is now thinned out and just a mess to style. I've gone through four salons and stylists and am thinking of moving on again. This last time I found someone who does great color and does use scissors. She either doesn't listen or does what she wants in spite of what I repeatedly ask.
That is EXACTLY what has happened to me.

What is going on with these stylists??? I left a wonderful stylist when I moved to SC three years ago, and just don't know what to do.

I like pitt_transplant's answer. I may just print this thread along with whatever photo I take to the next stylist I see - once this mess grows out.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
"Please don't use texturizing shears or a razor on my hair, I really don't like the way they make my hair look."

When someone says 'blunt cut' that means no layers or very few. So people probably give you a blunt cut and then texturize your ends to lighten them up...

Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
This, and other reasons, is why I will never go to a stylist again in my life, and continue to cut my hair myself. Gah.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
This, and other reasons, is why I will never go to a stylist again in my life, and continue to cut my hair myself. Gah.
I have done that before, and you are probably right. Tempting...

Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I am always scared to go because I never know what to expect. I was so heated the last time I went to a salon b/c the stylist kept trying to dupe me into getting her to do more expensive stuff to my hair. I should have just told her that I only had a certain amount of $$$ in my purse and she would have been out of luck if it didn't cover all the costs.

Unfortunately, I will have to find another stylist to trim my hair since I have a short hairstyle and don't know how to do it myself.

To stay on topic, I have been noticing that they use razors a lot. I don't have much of a problem with it since it takes a lot of 'weight' from my hair off my face. Maybe the OP should say that if they don't do as she specifically asked, she won't pay.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
I love razored hair (mine is razored, and it's fantastic for me and my lifestyle), but I too know the pain of having a stylist not listen to you. Until my last haircut, no stylists would listen to me when I said what I wanted.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 PM

305 posts, read 654,854 times
Looks like you will have to interrupt them as soon as you see them take the razor and remind them of what you wanted. Don't be shy, they should be embarrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care