Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:20 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,465,871 times

Advertisements

My hair has always been on the oily side, flat, straight and it just laid there. NO matter what kind of shampoo I used thats ALL it did. I endured perm after damaging perm to have anything from just a little body to full on curl. I finally about 15 years ago (I am 42 now) decided to accept the reality that my hair is BONE straight.

Well in my late 20s I started going grey although until recently there wasn't alot of it. About that time I decided I couldn't handle having grey hair and started coloring my hair. About 14 years ago I started dying my hair red, it seemed to fit my personality better then the blonde I had always been before.

WELL now my hair under the hair color is more grey then my natural dishwater color AND what they say is true. The grey hair has a different texture, its more wirey, I actually have more body in my hair then I have ever had in my life. Of course you can't see the grey for the Feria hair color I use.

So I guess going grey isn't so bad after all, its given me something all those perms can't.

Have any of you noticed this about your grey hair??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
I have a handful of grey hair, and I have definitely noticed that it is springier. My dishwater blond hair is already very wavy, thick (and somewhat coarse) but still the greys (actually they seem white) stand out with even wirier texture.

On a somewhat different note: my stylist found a lighter blond patch on the underside of my hair, starting at the nape of my neck and going all the way up the back of my head. I said no, that's got to be grey hair, and he got a mirror so I could see it. Yup, blond. Weird.

I have not had my hair highlighted since last fall, and with the grey/white coming in, and my strange blond patch, I wonder if I should just go au naturel.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,243,948 times
The upside to having grey hair .... is having hair at all. I think some men envy us.
Yes, I've noticed the same going on with my hair. I welcome it as my hair is very fine and rather straight.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,643,201 times
Quote:
On a somewhat different note: my stylist found a lighter blond patch on the underside of my hair, starting at the nape of my neck and going all the way up the back of my head. I said no, that's got to be grey hair, and he got a mirror so I could see it. Yup, blond. Weird.
My husband has a patch of blonde like that too, high on the crown towards the back of his head. Otherwise his hair is very dark.

My hair is starting to go grey, but there isn't enough of it to notice a difference in texture. I recently grew out my color thinking I would go natural, but the greys contrast with my natural hair color too much so I went ahead and colored it again but I'm not really happy with it right now. It looks nice but I wasn't in the mood for red. I think I'll grow it out again and try using a deposit only to blend the greys in and see if I am happy with that.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 AM

I look in the mirror sometimes and wonder whose hair I have all of a sudden.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,514,359 times
I have a lot of hair but it is fine and limp sometimes - since I am getting a lot of grey it has more body - the grey is wirey

Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 PM

I haven't bothered with a curling iron in a LONG time, I am wondering if the wirey hair will hold curl better then my limp fine hair used to.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,462,626 times
My natural hair is jet black, so going gray is too startling for me. I keep coloring roots. When will I stop being chicken and go natural, I don't know. I think I look 15 years older with gray hair.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
My natural hair is jet black, so going gray is too startling for me. I keep coloring roots. When will I stop being chicken and go natural, I don't know. I think I look 15 years older with gray hair.
Thats how I feel, my grey is covered by hair color but you can still tell the change on texture.

I think one of these days I am going to put a cream colored streak in my hair and gradually as I get older, increase it. Thats how my Grandmother who was a natural red head went naturally. As she was in her 80s, she looked like she had peach hair becase there were a streak here and there of red hair still and then most of her hair was cream, not grey.

Grey doesn't go with my complextion at all and I feel it makes me look alot older.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 PM

562 posts, read 2,405,375 times
My deal is the opposite. My dark hair was soft and wavy. I could wash, apply product and air dry to shiny waves. My white hair ( about 50%???) is wiry and now my hair must be blown dry or otherwise styled or its witchy- kind of straight frizz. I have colored it since I was 30 or so. Overall, adding color to my hair has made it more manageable, than my young, uncolored hair.

Good for you L McFarren that there is a perk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care