Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,837 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Is there any natural remedy through which grey hair can turn black? I am in my mid twenties but have lot of grey hair. I have heard but not very sure if there is any such remedy. Can anyone suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM

910 posts, read 2,295,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockys4u View Post
Hello,

Is there any natural remedy through which grey hair can turn black? I am in my mid twenties but have lot of grey hair. I have heard but not very sure if there is any such remedy. Can anyone suggest?
I don't think or at least have heard, that there are any natural remedies that can really turn grey hair back to black. I have heard of natural hair rinses that can help but I've no idea if they work at all, but "just for you" I did a search and you can look at this and see if there's anything you might want to try.

However, while studying Holistic Nutrition I read of studies involving different nutrients that, depending on the person's deficiency, when taken regularly returned the person's hair to normal, provided that it's really of nutritional origin as in younger people; past a certain age the chances would be less because the melanocytes (cells that produce the hair pigment) may already be dead so "user beware".

If this interests you, you might want to go to your public library to seek an old book called "Let's Get Well" by Adelle Davis, the reason I recommend it is because she used as reference studies done around her time but many times the results of such studies are forgotten over time. I can remember off the top of my head that a deficiency of a number of B vitamins (such as folic acid and PABA) will cause changes in the hair including premature greying and alopecia. Hair pigment also needs the minerals copper and iodine, possibly iron and others too, plus the amino acid tyrosine which is abundant in red meat. But the diet must REALLY be balanced - meaning with no junk food and lots of preferably organically or locally grown vegetables and some fruit - it's very important to provide the body with the best "raw materials" for all its needs. I have seen hairs in my own head sometimes return to their natural color, especially after taking iodine, and lately I've been taking silica and I've seen new dark hairs grow among the grey, which for me is not really that good at this point because I lighten my hair and such a thing can throw off my results during retouch time. It's also important to remember that during stress the body consumes nutrients at a higher rate and the "spendable" parts get deprived of some of them in favor of the most important organs, and that accounts for a lot of people greying fast when under pressure (just look at some of our past and present Presidents' pictures of when they got in the White House and 4 years later...), which is why I believe in taking nutritional supplements regularly, life today is too stressful.

I hope with this info you will be encourage to at least do more searches and seek further information.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
I agree with what TiredOfSFL said, although she said it much better than I could have. I have heard about folic acid and some other B deficiencies possibly causing white hair. I don't think it can be proven but when you hear of people's hair turning white after a stressful event it makes sense. In times of stress the body uses up a lot of B vitamins and if the vitamins are not replenished in time, the hair would turn white. Most nutrition experts recommend extra B complex in times of stress.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,216,070 times
There is a genetic component to graying. If your parent or parents grayed early, you will likely do the same. I think your genetic heritage has more to do with your early graying than anything else. Talk to a good hair stylist to find out how to camouflage your gray.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM

910 posts, read 2,295,799 times
I used to think so but the truth his that genes only indicate a tendency, not an unbreakable rule. And it can very well be that because of long-standing deficiencies parents transmitted certain weaknesses to their children which can be overcome by proper nutrition and I have seen that in myself. For example, bad skin and eyesight seemed to be an inherited trait in my family from my mother's side, and as a child I began having problems with both, however, a wonderful an insightful doctor prescribed 50,000 IU of Vit. A for me to take for a month and the weird rash I had which resembled goose bumps and itched all the time, disappeared and the slight problem I had with my eyes went away also, too bad my mother didn't think of giving me some periodically because I eventually developed myopia, like the rest of her family (and so did my 2 sisters). Many years later an ophtalmologist (this was NOT in the U.S., btw) also prescribed Vit. A and I took it and on my next eye exam 2 years later my eyes had actually improved instead of continuing the trend of getting worse. At that point I had already started to become interested in vitamins/nutrition so I continued to take it and ended up having better eyesight than both my sisters, one of them got so bad she had to get her eyes lasered.

And the same thing applies to hair and any other "inherited" trait, at least I think it's worth a try. I observed that at 26, after a period of much stress the stylist discoved a patch of gray hair growing on the back of my head, it didn't bother me because it couldn't bee seen, but since then I noticed that after each period of stress I grew more gray. Then I read in nutrition books that the lack of several B vitamins (and some minerals like iodine, copper and iron) will cause the hair to turn gray, also those vitamins are consumed at a higher rate during times of stress (and I'm sure everyone's seen Stress B vitamins at the drugstore...). Too bad I didn't learn about that soon enough, by the time I did I already had plenty of gray and have never really tried an "aggressive" plan to see if it would turn back dark because now I like wearing my hair light.

So I would NOT discourage someone with premature gray/grey from exploring nutrition first, after all, we are what we eat, no reason to resign oneself to a fate that's not written in stone when there could be a solution as easy as controlling what one puts inside their mouth.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,990,042 times
Yes, it seems hopeful that in the future there will be a reversal of grey hair. Read this article.

Scientists discover potential cure for gray hair | Fox News

The current thinking is that hydrogen peroxide, entering the hair follicle, causes grey hair. An enzyme called catalase can reverse this process. Catalase may be applied as a cream and it is activated by the sun.

It has already been successful on the skin of people who have discoloration and eyelashes.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 AM

466 posts, read 582,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockys4u View Post
Hello,
Not natural but read this Gray Hair Cure? European Scientists Make Exciting Discovery it might bring you up to date with what is happening.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,216,070 times
If your parents turned gray early, then you probably will too. It is genetic, as is the pattern of graying.

There are products you can buy to blend those gray hairs in, and eventually, you might have to do color. But I beg you if you do, find a stylist to do it for you. I see so many badly dyed heads of hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care