Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM

651 posts, read 706,366 times

Advertisements

I just read an article where many high level politicians are now pulling funding and dumping stocks that are or are associated with the gun industry. The only two public traded gun stocks are Ruger and Smith, Winchester is held my Olin corp. The article said that many pension fund managers are being pressured or are pulling funding to cripple the gun industry into submission on what they build and sell. I can't do a lot but I bought 2 thousand of each today in my portfolio for a total of 6k in Olin, Ruger and the holding company of Smith and Wesson. I think its a good bet they will do well and they are paying about 3.5 percent div. between them on avg. If you have a portfolio and can put in some I would. Also spread the word. These are not some fly by night company's that don't have a track record they are blue chip stocks in their field. If it were asking individuals to dump the stock I don't think much would come of it but these are people who manage billions of dollars in pension funds and could cause damage. The thing is not all of it is in these company's, in fact most likely a small amount of the total, but if a lot of gun owners could off set any potential dump and maybe even if some managers see that the price goes up they may see money over political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,101,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
I just read an article where many high level politicians are now pulling funding and dumping stocks that are or are associated with the gun industry. The only two public traded gun stocks are Ruger and Smith, Winchester is held my Olin corp. The article said that many pension fund managers are being pressured or are pulling funding to cripple the gun industry into submission on what they build and sell. I can't do a lot but I bought 2 thousand of each today in my portfolio for a total of 6k in Olin, Ruger and the holding company of Smith and Wesson. I think its a good bet they will do well and they are paying about 3.5 percent div. between them on avg. If you have a portfolio and can put in some I would. Also spread the word. These are not some fly by night company's that don't have a track record they are blue chip stocks in their field. If it were asking individuals to dump the stock I don't think much would come of it but these are people who manage billions of dollars in pension funds and could cause damage. The thing is not all of it is in these company's, in fact most likely a small amount of the total, but if a lot of gun owners could off set any potential dump and maybe even if some managers see that the price goes up they may see money over political correctness.
These people need to be sued...

It can't be legal to try to damage these legitimate and profitable manufacturers...

I already own sizable positions in all the GUN names, but I bought em a long time ago and much cheaper...

Unless they repeal the 2A we have the right to keep and bear arms, that would include manufacturing and sales...

Im much more worried about a hostile takeover of Freedom Group by powerful anti freedom bankers...

I will never sell my shares....

Fortunately it is relatively easy to make guns and ammo and any kind of anti takeover would be boycotted out of business eventually...

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
These people need to be sued...

It can't be legal to try to damage these legitimate and profitable manufacturers...

I already own sizable positions in all the GUN names, but I bought em a long time ago and much cheaper...

Unless they repeal the 2A we have the right to keep and bear arms, that would include manufacturing and sales...

Im much more worried about a hostile takeover of Freedom Group by powerful anti freedom bankers...

I will never sell my shares....

Fortunately it is relatively easy to make guns and ammo and any kind of anti takeover would be boycotted out of business eventually...

Good luck with the lawsuit, it's called capitalism, if someone doesn't want to invest in a product that is their choice.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,708,769 times
I think the Freedom Group will have to be the one to worry about, hopefully all those companies end up in the right hands.

Good idea to buy some stock, I was looking for a place for my IRA money this year.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM

19,879 posts, read 22,782,911 times
Social responsibility and investments are becoming more commonplace in the market. If the industry wants investments, it will have to look at the market they are selling to.

Ironically in the gun industry the past investors recognized that the industry was marketing to a feared segment, which makes for good profits- panic buying. Now that that the ebb and flow of current events has raised a specter on the industry, they are pulling their money because they fear their investments may be falling. They are not 'anti's'- they are money investors. They could give two craps about guns. They care about $$.

So I suggest if gun owners really want to protect 'the industry', they start buying their stocks, not guns and ammo.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,863,097 times
I'm doing both - and it's an interesting mix. I put about half my investments into various gun industry portfolios over the past few weeks, and from what my broker said, I'm not the only one. The nice thing is, there's a LOT of smaller shops set up and running - so there's a LOT of 'em out there to choose from.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM

19,879 posts, read 22,782,911 times
I think the semi-auto custom guys like Bushmaster are going to get creamed, but the hunting firearm industry will do well. However I would not put $1 in that at all.

There will be red ink on the balance sheets, that much is certain.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,728 times
Money, not liberals or conservatives determine our laws. If an anti-gun agency arose that gave more money to politicians than the NRA, you would see Texas and Florida type states veer anti-gun

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,101,737 times
I wish they would come out with an ETF index of all the gun and ammo makers, obviously the ticker symbol would be GUN

Retailers that are GUN friendly like Cabela's are good stocks too

Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM

18,253 posts, read 25,918,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
I wish they would come out with an ETF index of all the gun and ammo makers, obviously the ticker symbol would be GUN

Retailers that are GUN friendly like Cabela's are good stocks too
Agreed. In my area (Grand Junction, Colorado) Cabela's took over significant empty space at Mesa Mall when Mervyn's and another adjoining store folded and that end of the mall was a ghost town for a long time. One of my neighbors works part time evenings at Cabela's and the store is doing a solid business, particularly on guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting