Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you sell a gun to someone who you didn't think should have one?
Yes, I'm not responsible for what they do with it. 8 19.51%
Yes, I'm not worried about it. 2 4.88%
No, I have a moral obligation to never arm a potential crook. 20 48.78%
No, I don't want the legal liability if it's traced back to me. 11 26.83%
Maybe, If I was desperate enough. 0 0%
Not sure/Never thought about it. 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

We make a big deal out of our second amendment rights, but here's a personal test of your gun control beliefs in action. If you needed the cash and someone you knew was up to no good came to you with cash in hand, would you sell a gun to them?

I couldn't do it. I'd rather sell to a FFL holder and take a hit on the price so I could have a clear conscious. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Of course not.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Define how I would "know" they were up to "no good". For a vegan, that could entail selling a gun to a hunter. To others it could mean something different. You're not providing enough detail to make a reasoned decision.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Define how I would "know" they were up to "no good". For a vegan, that could entail selling a gun to a hunter. To others it could mean something different. You're not providing enough detail to make a reasoned decision.
Juan the gangsta from El Salvador with MS13 tattooed across his forehead? Or a guy who shows up on your door wearing his homemade Aryan nation vest and combat boots with swastika patterns on the soles? How about your neighbor down the street named Joe who has traffic going in and out of his place all night and drives a new Escalade even though you know he has no job?

I don't know, it's a hypothetical question. Lets just say someone who your internal instincts warn you: "POTENTIAL DANGER! don't turn your back to this guy".

Old 01-21-2012, 10:16 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Something as you describe, likely not....then again, if they're legally able to own a firearm, sometimes they can't help how they "look".
Now, if the guy comes up with the tats, or that "gang punk" look....yeah, he's likely not gonna be leaving with a gun I sold him.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Talking about criminal or mental? If I can predict who is a criminal I need to go into law enforcement or get my own crossing over show.
Someone who is not functioning on all cylinders--now that is another situation.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM

409 posts, read 318,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We make a big deal out of our second amendment rights, but here's a personal test of your gun control beliefs in action. If you needed the cash and someone you knew was up to no good came to you with cash in hand, would you sell a gun to them?

I couldn't do it. I'd rather sell to a FFL holder and take a hit on the price so I could have a clear conscious. What about you?
You have more than a conscious problem on your hands. You can be charged and face sentencing if you knowingly and willingly sell to a prohibited person. Make sure they are a resident of your State (face to face) and of proper age. You varify with photo ID. If they start talking about the cult or say they want to smoke the Mayor...DON'T SELL IT to them for Godsakes! A nutjob is a nutjob! Don't sell it! I'd ask if they are a felon too. If you asked, and they lied, you have no way of checking and did your part.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
You have more than a conscious problem on your hands. You can be charged and face sentencing if you knowingly and willingly sell to a prohibited person. Make sure they are a resident of your State (face to face) and of proper age. You varify with photo ID. If they start talking about the cult or say they want to smoke the Mayor...DON'T SELL IT to them for Godsakes! A nutjob is a nutjob! Don't sell it! I'd ask if they are a felon too. If you asked and they lied, you have no way of checking and did your part.
Ya, I would avoid people you know are mentally unstable or have a criminal convictions. Also know your state laws. I personally check IDs for age and only sell to same state people...that or see if they have a CHL.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
There is nothing inherently moral or immoral about a firearm itself or the act of purchasing one (usually), seeing as a gun doesn't shoot itself. It's all in the intentions of the user(s).

For me, it's not a moral thing, it is a legal thing. I can't prove or disprove bad intentions nor telepathically find out what they're going to do with it... however, I do NOT want any legal liability.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 AM

409 posts, read 318,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Ya, I would avoid people you know are mentally unstable or have a criminal convictions. Also know your state laws. I personally check IDs for age and only sell to same state people...that or see if they have a CHL.
You already had all the dirty work done for you if they have one. The Hells Angel wanting it WON'T have one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting