Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 05:26 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,758,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
...and, in fact, that BBQ place was Digger's! I really liked 'em when I first moved to Greenville, following them around at least three different locations (two locations on Haywood and one at Wade-Hampton and Pleasantburg). I loved them at the time, but when I gave their Taylors location a shot last year, it wasn't any great shakes. I'm not sure if they've gotten worse or if I just didn't know what good BBQ tasted like when I first moved here.

The Local Cue is on the other side of the mall. There used to be a BBQ joint where Illiano's is now that I really liked -- I think it was called We're Pigs BBQ -- but it wasn't long for the world.

I'll never say 'no' to good BBQ, and it seems like more of these joints have closed than opened over the past few years.
I am trying to think of one that has closed in the past few years. Can't think of one.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 PM

453 posts, read 646,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I am trying to think of one that has closed in the past few years. Can't think of one.
Off the top of my head, Duncan's Roadside BBQ, Voodoo BBQ, BoDaddy's Smokehouse, Smitty's Country Cookin' (now it's a Mutt's again), the Little Pigs BBQ on Pleasantburg (Bucky's now), JB's Barbeque, and, although it's probably a little too far away to count, Brushy Creek BBQ. When did the last of the Smokin' Stokes locations close? That might fall in that window too.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
What can you say? We like our BBQ in the south.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:25 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
Quote:
Off the top of my head, Duncan's Roadside BBQ, Voodoo BBQ, BoDaddy's Smokehouse, Smitty's Country Cookin' (now it's a Mutt's again), the Little Pigs BBQ on Pleasantburg (Bucky's now), JB's Barbeque, and, although it's probably a little too far away to count, Brushy Creek BBQ. When did the last of the Smokin' Stokes locations close? That might fall in that window too.
JB's closed due to JB's accident, not due to lack of business.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
I realize that (and it's a somewhat similar story with Brushy Creek) and wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. They're still closed, though.

(Random fact - I was JB's first paying customer when they re-opened for business. They gave me a free can of Coke to commemorate it!)

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 02-07-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,758,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Little Pigs was many years ago. They closed due to a dispute with the landlord, not from lack of business.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Little Pigs was many years ago. They closed due to a dispute with the landlord, not from lack of business.
Sorry about misremembering. Does anything in my list have merit? I missed the part where only places closing due to lack of business were worth noting. I'm not trying to rile up any controversy or touch a nerve.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 02-08-2016 at 05:20 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
Quote:
Sorry about misremembering. Does anything in my list have merit? I missed the part where only places closing due to lack of business were worth noting. I'm not trying to rile up any controversy or touch a nerve.
My mistake. I thought you were indicating that they were closing because we had too many bbq places. I feel bad about JB's. I know how hard he worked to re-open when he moved back to the area.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:57 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
what was in the 5 guys space between the BBQ restaurant and the 5 guys, if anything? I was thinking the BBQ place was only there for a year or two.

I liked that BBQ place on Orchard Park Road where the pizza / italian place is now, forget what it was called. It did a good lunch business but I believe it struggled at night.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I liked that BBQ place on Orchard Park Road where the pizza / italian place is now, forget what it was called.
That was We're Pigs BBQ, and I was also a big fan.

I don't remember anything being in that spot on Woods Crossing between Diggers BBQ and Five Guys, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure you're spot-on about Diggers not being there all that long. If memory serves (never a safe bet!), I think they took over the Johnny Rockets on the other end of Haywood (which later became New York Burgers & Fries and was vacant for ages before being razed), then they moved to that spot by the mall, and then they moved to a pretty nice standalone location on Wade-Hampton. Kinda lost track of 'em after that.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 02-08-2016 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area