Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 06:40 AM

1,290 posts, read 784,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I did, and I've stopped, and I enjoy them, but I also recognize I'm the nerdy minority.

Whether or not they're state parks or not, there are public cabins for rent in the Mountains of NC, throughout the Nantahala and Pisgah national forests, Hanging Rock also has cabins for rent. NC has lakes the same as SC, they dammed the rivers all the same for the same reason. Fontana and Glenwood and Nantahala and Lake James.

How many of the historic sites in Charleston have you visited more than once? The percentage of Charleston tourists who do the history tourism stuff is probably about the same as other places. In my view, there isnt much difference between Wilmington and Charleston for tourism.

Greenville is only 15 minutes more than travelling to Asheville from Raleigh. Most people don't live in NC and people in parts of the south are closer to Greenville.

I only travel to do outdoor stuff. I can't think of any city I would travel to for the city and not nearby outdoor recreation. I can't think of anything you can do in downtown Asheville you can't do in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 02:54 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Happy Birthday Data.
Thank you, DSMRE.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:45 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
How many of the historic sites in Charleston have you visited more than once? The percentage of Charleston tourists who do the history tourism stuff is probably about the same as other places. In my view, there isnt much difference between Wilmington and Charleston for tourism.

Greenville is only 15 minutes more than travelling to Asheville from Raleigh. Most people don't live in NC and people in parts of the south are closer to Greenville.

I only travel to do outdoor stuff. I can't think of any city I would travel to for the city and not nearby outdoor recreation. I can't think of anything you can do in downtown Asheville you can't do in Greenville.
‘Most people don’t live in NC and people in parts of the south are closer to Greenville’. This statement makes no sense whatsoever. Downtown Greenville is not comparable to downtown Asheville. Both are nice, but very different.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:37 AM

So you believe people driving from Florida would reach Asheville prior to Upstate SC?

Understand they are different, that's why Greenville is a great Blue Ridge vacation basecamp alternative to Asheville.

The tourism energy vortex in Asheville is the Biltmore estate and nearby village, not the downtown area. The signature park in downtown Asheville, Pack Square, is ranked the #26 attraction in Asheville on TripAdvisor. Greenville has the highest rated city park in the country on the same website.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
So you believe people driving from Florida would reach Asheville prior to Upstate SC?

Understand they are different, that's why Greenville is a great Blue Ridge vacation basecamp alternative to Asheville.

The tourism energy vortex in Asheville is the Biltmore estate and nearby village, not the downtown area. The signature park in downtown Asheville, Pack Square, is ranked the #26 attraction in Asheville on TripAdvisor. Greenville has the highest rated city park in the country on the same website.

Go back and read your statements, They make no sense. Most people who want a Blue Ridge vacation want to stay in the mountains. Greenville is not IN the mountains. Have you ever visited downtown Asheville? It is full of tourists.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:18 PM

If a person wants to stay "in the mountains", staying in Asheville near an interstate is the worst choice in western NC, in my view. Blowing Rock , Boone, Bryson City, Brevard, Highlands, etc are better choices.

I think people who make a big deal out of Asheville are generally not people who do a lot of hiking, kayaking, boating, etc. You make Asheville sound like Chattanooga. I've asked you what are the unique tourist attractions in Asheville and you haven't mentioned them. The fun stuff in western NC isn't in Asheville.

Downtown Asheville also has some negatives for many people that I don't want to get into.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:00 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Don't put all of us in the same boat. You are judging based on one poster.
Understood.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
If a person wants to stay "in the mountains", staying in Asheville near an interstate is the worst choice in western NC, in my view. Blowing Rock , Boone, Bryson City, Brevard, Highlands, etc are better choices.

I think people who make a big deal out of Asheville are generally not people who do a lot of hiking, kayaking, boating, etc. You make Asheville sound like Chattanooga. I've asked you what are the unique tourist attractions in Asheville and you haven't mentioned them. The fun stuff in western NC isn't in Asheville.

Downtown Asheville also has some negatives for many people that I don't want to get into.
Your statements about Asheville just confirm you know little about it or the area.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:22 AM

I'm pretty sure I've spent more time in western NC than you have. I hike and kayak.

Downtown Asheville has a reputation that some people like and other people don't. You said Asheville and Greenville are different. I agree with that. It's not everybody's cup of tea. Part of city tourism is presenting the city as an alternative. What difference does it make to you if somebody stays in Greenville or the Upstate for a vacation rather than Asheville.

If Asheville was set up like Chattanooga, with tourist sites like Rock City, Point Park, Signal Point, Sunset Point, Ruby Falls, Incline Railroad, a downtown aquarium and quaint riverwalk, etc, I could understand why people say it is better for a vacation. But Greenville and other cities in the Upstate can compete with Asheville as a basecamp for outdoors stuff in the Blue Ridge.

If a person wants to do a longer vacation than a night or two, I recommend staying at Table Rock, Oconnee, or Devil's Fork State Park in SC. That will be better than a Hampton Inn type of hotel in Asheville right off the interstate, in my view, unless you are a city oriented person.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 08-27-2022 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've spent more time in western NC than you have. I hike and kayak.

Downtown Asheville has a reputation that some people like and other people don't. You said Asheville and Greenville are different. I agree with that. It's not everybody's cup of tea. Part of city tourism is presenting the city as an alternative.

If Asheville was set up like Chattanooga, with tourist sites like Rock City, Point Park, Signal Point, Sunset Point, Ruby Falls, Incline Railroad, a downtown aquarium and quaint riverwalk, etc, I could understand why people say it is better for a vacation. But Greenville and other cities in the Upstate can compete with Asheville has a basecamp for outdoors stuff in the Blue Ridge.
Not a huge fan of Chattanooga. You may not, but plenty of people use Asheville and surrounds for exploring the Blue Ridge mountains. A significant number of people want to be ‘in the mountains’ when exploring the area, not in the foothills.

https://www.meanstoexplore.com/best-...0next%20day%21
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area