Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 08:23 AM

1,290 posts, read 783,730 times

Advertisements

Unless you are a big beach person or into deep sea fishing / sea kayaking, the Upstate is a better spot for an outdoorsman/woman to retire than Hilton Head / Bluffton and other Low Country areas, in my view.

I'm from the eastern side of the state. I get kind of depressed when I get back over there due to it being so flat.

The Upstate area and the part of NC near the SC border may have the highest density of waterfalls in the country. The Columbia Gorge area of Oregon outside of Portland is the only area I can think that may have more waterfalls in close proximity.

Greenville is one of the few cities in the country with a waterfall and the only one that is located within the downtown central business district if I am not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 09:04 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherm06 View Post
Every area is a bit different, in the Midwest most folks live within city limits so yes there's crime but also a financial infrastructure. In the northeast, no one with decent income lives in the cities that's why they are all going bankrupt with high crime. I want to understand what SC is about so I can wisely choose where to live and enjoy all its great offerings without my northern ignorance. I'm not rich nor looking for a part-time home or land rental, I want to embrace the culture and live happily ever after.
Spartanburg and Anderson are two surrounding counties that seem to have some of the violent crime reported in the upstate. I was told a few years ago to call or visit the police stations for areas in which you are interested in living. Ask them about the types of crimes and the safety of specific neighborhoods you like. That seemed like sound advice to me even though I've not yet tried it.

Every state and region has some level of crime. We live in a great, secluded rural area surrounded by lovely horse farms and great people as neighbors. Still, we had a rash of car break-ins in the last few weeks. Perhaps I am a little too cynical, but I wouldn't dream of leaving my doors unlocked regardless of where I lived. Make the best decision that suits your lifestyle. Research a bit to make wise choices about safety and live your best life!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area