Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM

446 posts, read 415,621 times

Advertisements

Ditto. I have never felt the need to carry a gun around here. There may be a few"bad" areas on the West Side of Greenville but even those aren't even close to places like Chicago. I live in Simpsonville and I always feel safe taking walks, etc. The OP mentioned Mauldin and I feel like it too is a safe community. Thieves can be everywhere but this isn't crime war zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 12:30 PM

58 posts, read 76,663 times
Thanks again for the info, was immediately doubting my early retirement down south. I'm from a suburb of the city of New Haven CT and other than shoplifting we haven't had murder in many years; my front door is typically unlocked for my nephews visits. New Haven has its crime areas and I've had my car broken into 3x there but the side of town where Yale is has great restaurants, night life, and is safely walkable ( I used to work there). Otherwise i would imagine it to be similar to Gville which is why I'd like to live in a nearby safer community and visit when something is going on. Biking from TR down the SR trail would be something I'd do often, along with all the great Parks, hikes, and maybe even some water access. I'm a planner and I had a forum on here in the past about towns out west that I researched, visited, and blogged about but it's so far away from the east coast and barren between cities. I can see myself motorcycle riding the Blue Ridge, traveling to Asheville, charlotte, atlanta, and beyond while actively enjoying the lakes, trails, and Appalachians in my final stage of life. Love this website and its data.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:07 PM

601 posts, read 459,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherm06 View Post
Thanks again for the info, was immediately doubting my early retirement down south. I'm from a suburb of the city of New Haven CT and other than shoplifting we haven't had murder in many years; my front door is typically unlocked for my nephews visits. New Haven has its crime areas and I've had my car broken into 3x there but the side of town where Yale is has great restaurants, night life, and is safely walkable ( I used to work there). Otherwise i would imagine it to be similar to Gville which is why I'd like to live in a nearby safer community and visit when something is going on. Biking from TR down the SR trail would be something I'd do often, along with all the great Parks, hikes, and maybe even some water access. I'm a planner and I had a forum on here in the past about towns out west that I researched, visited, and blogged about but it's so far away from the east coast and barren between cities. I can see myself motorcycle riding the Blue Ridge, traveling to Asheville, charlotte, atlanta, and beyond while actively enjoying the lakes, trails, and Appalachians in my final stage of life. Love this website and its data.
New Haven has a famously high crime rate; without looking at actual data I would guess that Greenville is substantially lower.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:09 PM

Every area is a bit different, in the Midwest most folks live within city limits so yes there's crime but also a financial infrastructure. In the northeast, no one with decent income lives in the cities thats why they are all going bankrupt with high crime. I just want to understand what SC is about so I can wisely choose where to live and enjoy all its great offerings without my northern ignorance. I'm not rich nor looking for a part time home or land rental, I want to embrace the culture and live happily ever after.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:56 AM

604 posts, read 584,636 times
I used to live near New Haven, and went there every day for work for a couple years. I feel a LOT safer in Greenville. I've never felt the need to carry a gun anywhere. I have a permit, but have never carried a weapon.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:13 AM

The southern charm I am imagining is friendly people in a community-oriented setting and a slower more appreciative environment. It seems like Greenville was purposely redesigned around arts, culture, and a diverse variety of commerce that support a healthy natural lifestyle rather than focus on business overpopulation and chasing the dollar bill. The Northeast tends to be built up mainly around suburban cookie-cutter living with single vehicle commutes to city jobs. There are plenty of convenient amenities but traffic, money, and schedules predominantly drive the economy, forgetting about nature, culture, and simple free events. Not everyone is wealthy here and my parents moved to Virginia years ago and never looked back. I will be visiting for a week this summer to better understand the area, people, and culture; how is the medical situation near Greenville?

Last edited by maherm06; 02-15-2021 at 05:34 AM..

Old 02-15-2021, 08:52 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
maherm06, I think you will find this area a safe and great place to live.

Don't overthink it!

Old 02-15-2021, 10:00 AM

Certainly looking forward to a climate change; southern CT has the mildest New England weather being on Long Island Sound but we still see about 30 inches of snow between December and March. Snow removal here is fine but icy conditions make it tough to do anything outdoors except ski or skate (sometimes down your driveway). Being able to have more pleasant outdoor days and ride my motorcycle year round sounds unbelievable. Ironic that the Red Sox farm team plays at Fluor Field and I'm a big hockey fan too, Go Swamp Rabbits!

Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherm06 View Post
The southern charm I am imagining is friendly people in a community-oriented setting and a slower more appreciative environment. It seems like Greenville was purposely redesigned around arts, culture, and a diverse variety of commerce that support a healthy natural lifestyle rather than focus on business overpopulation and chasing the dollar bill. The Northeast tends to be built up mainly around suburban cookie-cutter living with single vehicle commutes to city jobs. There are plenty of convenient amenities but traffic, money, and schedules predominantly drive the economy, forgetting about nature, culture, and simple free events. Not everyone is wealthy here and my parents moved to Virginia years ago and never looked back. I will be visiting for a week this summer to better understand the area, people, and culture; how is the medical situation near Greenville?
I have nothing but good things to say about GHS (Prisma). They have taken very good care of our family. Professional and excellent care.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 PM

Default Wow the housing market is a dumpster fire....for buyers

TR is my favored suburb but my gosh, $300k for a fixer upper, and I'm no fan of HOAs. Does anyone have any Intel on towns further north such as Slater-Marietta and Tigerville? Simpsonville and Mauldin are nic but that whole south side and Woodruff Rd traffic drives me away. Retiring to a quiet bedroom town within 30 mins of amenities works for me, I'm not much for nightlife anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area