Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 12:51 PM

267 posts, read 329,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
I'm using NYC because that's where nearly half of the country's outbreak is taking place, and a large reason for why the entire country's numbers are as high as they are. The high numbers is what is driving the alarmism and causing people to think we need to have nationwide lock downs.

There is no reason for why SC (or any city in SC) should have the same lock down policy as NYC.
This is effectively like saying that it's OK to have a peeing section in the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 09:40 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Simon reopening some malls including Haywood in Greenville and Gaffney Outlets Marketplace on May 1.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/simo...will-work.html

Old 04-28-2020, 11:05 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
I have to bring this up because I have seen very little talk of this but something that needs to be addressed and that's the economic impact in the Upstate of Covid-19.

When we look at our economy, while not nearly as much as Detroit, is heavily reliant on the automotive industry. From suppliers to manufacturers. Matter of fact, 40% of businesses employing over 1,000 employees in the Upstate are in the automotive sector.

While the obvious hit on hospitality and tourism has been discussed in great detail, the impact of what very well could be a large automotive market crash and it's effect on the Upstate has not.

It is my hope that the auto industry does not feel the impact that is projected but if so, we could see a major economic downturn within the Upstate.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I have to bring this up because I have seen very little talk of this but something that needs to be addressed and that's the economic impact in the Upstate of Covid-19.

When we look at our economy, while not nearly as much as Detroit, is heavily reliant on the automotive industry. From suppliers to manufacturers. Matter of fact, 40% of businesses employing over 1,000 employees in the Upstate are in the automotive sector.

While the obvious hit on hospitality and tourism has been discussed in great detail, the impact of what very well could be a large automotive market crash and it's effect on the Upstate has not.

It is my hope that the auto industry does not feel the impact that is projected but if so, we could see a major economic downturn within the Upstate.
Everywhere should have a diversified economy. Detroit shouldn't have been so reliant on automobiles, Las Vegas shouldn't be so reliant on tourism, Charlotte shouldn't be so reliant on banking. The only safe place is DC with the government.

This is one thing I wish SC did more, invest more in white collar, higher caliber jobs like stem, medical, energy, etc, instead of putting so much in manufacturing. There's no reason Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston can't hold some Fortune 500 HQs. SC has 0. Even Idaho has 2. NC has RTP, why could SC have came up with something similar back in the day? SC could've had an airline hub. Myrtle is so reliant on tourism and boomers, but what exactly is Myrtle going to do when they all die off? Hopefully the virus exposes the cracks and cities and states start making a bigger investment in education and infrastructure and diversifying themselves.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Manufacturers hire white collar people too, engineers, business, microbiologists, etc, and they lure engineering companies and other companies that hire white collar.

If white collar means liberal arts jobs, that may be true.

Greenville has one of the largest engineer per capita job markets in the country. Engineering is stem. Every physician, pharmacist, etc did a STEM program in college.

I think Fortune headquarters tend to be mostly business and other corporate jobs.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:30 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
I'm using NYC because that's where nearly half of the country's outbreak is taking place, and a large reason for why the entire country's numbers are as high as they are. The high numbers is what is driving the alarmism and causing people to think we need to have nationwide lock downs.

There is no reason for why SC (or any city in SC) should have the same lock down policy as NYC.
The New York and adjacent areas wouldn't be locked down if the Carolinas had their large percentage of cases and they are at 2-3 deaths per 100,000 like SC.

But they really not as locked down as claimed, I see pictures of crowded parks up there and their subway system is still running.

It sounds like NY state was forcing nursing homes to take corona patients which lead to a lot of nursing home resident deaths. Around 25 percent of the deaths up there were people in nursing homes.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 AM

267 posts, read 329,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It sounds like NY state was forcing nursing homes to take corona patients which lead to a lot of nursing home resident deaths.
Where are you getting this information?

Old 04-30-2020, 06:40 AM

9,493 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post
Where are you getting this information?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ients-n1191811

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/u...ronavirus.html

Associated story:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/ny-sta...-nursing-home/

Old 05-01-2020, 08:16 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
SC state parks open today on a limited capacity (gates temporarily closed when reached) and some facilities inside those closed still.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:30 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
I'll be glad with the Swamp Rabbit Trails opens back up in the city. Even liberal Charleston is opening all parks and trails today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area