Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 12:09 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
What's the population density of South Dakota?
South Dakota has the nation's 5th lowest population density, averaging 11 people per square mile.

For comparison, South Carolina is 19th highest population density at 162 people per square mile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 12:24 PM

292 posts, read 344,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
South Dakota has the nation's 5th lowest population density, averaging 11 people per square mile.

For comparison, South Carolina is 19th highest population density at 162 people per square mile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

NYC has a population density of 28,188 people per square mile.SC is a lot closer to ND than NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._New_York_City

Old 04-23-2020, 12:41 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Mauldin's Family Restaurant appears to have closed under Coronavirus mandates. Signs now missing from the building on W Butler Rd.
Will be replaced by Wholy Smoke BBQ & seafood (second location or relocating from Woodside Ave.)

Old 04-23-2020, 12:49 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Here you go Tyler. Belk announces they will reopen stores in SC and Arkansas on May 1 with reduced hours.
https://wwd.com/business-news/retail...gs-1203565640/
Glad to hear Belk is reopening. Hopefully Macy's, Dillard's, and JCPenney will follow suit. I recently had to purchase pants and shirts for work, so I ordered from Belk and JCPenney online. Prompt delivery, reasonable price, Belk Saddlebred brand, JCPenney St. Johns Bay brand, and Izod. All on sale with extra coupon discount. I have tried to buy clothes at Walmart, but they always fade and fall apart. Literally black crew socks have a hole in them repeatedly after only one 8 hour shift. I may try buying socks at Target and see if I fare any better there. But for other basics, I prefer JCPenney Stafford brand for undershirts. Good quality there. Also Belk Saddlebred brand basics and polo shirts. I don't have to have a man on horse logo on a shirt and pay an extravagant price. Also Apt. 9 mens polo shirts at Kohl's are nice. Hope to see most major retailers back in business but with proper precautions.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:36 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Glad to hear Belk is reopening. Hopefully Macy's, Dillard's, and JCPenney will follow suit. I recently had to purchase pants and shirts for work, so I ordered from Belk and JCPenney online. Prompt delivery, reasonable price, Belk Saddlebred brand, JCPenney St. Johns Bay brand, and Izod. All on sale with extra coupon discount. I have tried to buy clothes at Walmart, but they always fade and fall apart. Literally black crew socks have a hole in them repeatedly after only one 8 hour shift. I may try buying socks at Target and see if I fare any better there. But for other basics, I prefer JCPenney Stafford brand for undershirts. Good quality there. Also Belk Saddlebred brand basics and polo shirts. I don't have to have a man on horse logo on a shirt and pay an extravagant price. Also Apt. 9 mens polo shirts at Kohl's are nice. Hope to see most major retailers back in business but with proper precautions.
Yes Belk.com packages arrive quick in the upstate. I believe the DC is near Union isn't it? Sometimes they ship from the stores though. I ordered 3 shirts one time on a Buy 1 Get 2 Free offer and funny I received each shirt shipped separate from 3 different stores in NC. It was enough for free ship too for me so they spent a fortune on shipping those 3 shirts. Go figure. I have to say I purchased some of the new Target Goodfellow brand shirts last year and they have held up better than than that expensive horse brand.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
NYC has a population density of 28,188 people per square mile.SC is a lot closer to ND than NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._New_York_City
You're comparing a city to two states, so naturally the states will be more similar.

The State of New York has on average 420 people per square mile. So South Carolina has 14.7x the density of South Dakota, and New York State has 2.6x the density of South Carolina.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You're comparing a city to two states, so naturally the states will be more similar.

The State of New York has on average 420 people per square mile. So South Carolina has 14.7x the density of South Dakota, and New York State has 2.6x the density of South Carolina.

I'm using NYC because that's where nearly half of the country's outbreak is taking place, and a large reason for why the entire country's numbers are as high as they are. The high numbers is what is driving the alarmism and causing people to think we need to have nationwide lock downs.

There is no reason for why SC (or any city in SC) should have the same lock down policy as NYC.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I'm using NYC because that's where nearly half of the country's outbreak is taking place

This is heavily exaggerated. It's around 16%. Yesterday the nation had 840k cases. New York City has 138k.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
This is heavily exaggerated. It's around 16%. Yesterday the nation had 840k cases. New York City has 138k.

Okay I should have qualified it with NYC metro area which has more than 330K which is 38% of all cases in the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tbreak-us.html

Old 04-23-2020, 03:45 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times
Quote:
Okay I should have qualified it with NYC metro area which has more than 330K which is 38% of all cases in the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tbreak-us.html
38% is still not near half and what are the number of square miles that encompasses NYC area so an accurate density count can be compared?

I agree we don't need the same measures as NYC but we do need some measures. Kemp is looking like a fool and getting thrown under every bus possible.

Things can change quickly in a location- looks like Marion, OH is going off the charts now and their entire county population equals about the city limits of Greenville (65k versus 68k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area