Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,746,960 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the G'ville thread on UP and felt it important enough to repost here. Here's my op with a follow up post. I can't post the link as per rules but almost all of the responses agreed with me.

First post:

I'm in Raleigh this week on business and I was able to bring my wife and daughter. This is the 2nd time we've been here since we moved to G'ville from SoCal. My wife just drools with her mouth agape because she loves the fact that all of the roads here are plenty wide enough and are tree lined with sidewalks (what a novel idea). Signage is again, very large and noticable and almost all of the traffic lights actually hang on poles not wires. That is a major and pretty much my only gripe about Greenville and the upstate in general. My wife commented that these factors make Raleigh, "look so nice and upscale" in her words. Granted population has a lot to do with this but we should start now while we can. This would really help in making our city and area into what most of us want it to be.

Second comment:

Yes, you guys are right, when I said Greenville, I was more specifically mentioning the 'burbs and county. The city is really doing a good job, my bad. Two things that stick out in my mind and I want everybody to pay attention to this for the next few weeks. I live up in Greertucky and it boggles my mind how many people we see either walking, jogging or riding their bike on the grass right next to highway 14, or 101 or Locust Hill as cars go wizzing by because not only is their no sidewalk for them to safely navigate their way, there's not even an inch of shoulder, it's road and then grass. Very dangerous not to mention it really dampers any motivation to exercise.

Secondly, someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago but many, many streets have multiple names, even though it is one continuous road, i.e Brushy Creek/Old Spartanburg/East North. (One road, 3 different names). For the person that's a 5th generation Greenvillian, no biggie, but we are a major transplant destination and this situation is a very confusing and frustrating one.

This afternoon we went to Trader Joes in Cary and again my wife was asking why we don't have a "Cary" in Greenville (again, I mean the county). I just told her to be patient, we will. Roads really need to be widened though, asap. Woodruff is a joke and all 3 roads that I mentioned in the 1st paragraph should all be at least two lanes each way from 11 to Wade Hampton. My dad lives off of W. Georgia Rd and it's a joke that it's only 1 lane each way, an absolute joke. I read recently that it's the most dangerous rd in the county and it's going to get worse with all of the new and proposed development.

I'm not trying to talk down our area, I really love it. I just really want it to reach it's potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM

267 posts, read 335,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I posted this in the G'ville thread on UP and felt it important enough to repost here. Here's my op with a follow up post. I can't post the link as per rules but almost all of the responses agreed with me.

First post:

I'm in Raleigh this week on business and I was able to bring my wife and daughter. This is the 2nd time we've been here since we moved to G'ville from SoCal. My wife just drools with her mouth agape because she loves the fact that all of the roads here are plenty wide enough and are tree lined with sidewalks (what a novel idea). Signage is again, very large and noticable and almost all of the traffic lights actually hang on poles not wires. That is a major and pretty much my only gripe about Greenville and the upstate in general. My wife commented that these factors make Raleigh, "look so nice and upscale" in her words. Granted population has a lot to do with this but we should start now while we can. This would really help in making our city and area into what most of us want it to be.

Since Raleigh is the capital it tends to get "special preference" on the nicer public works projects. Trust me, all of the major cities in NC are not like that. The fact the the Raleigh/Durham area seams to get special treatment is a stickler to many people in the rest of the state.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,907,701 times
hey, come down to wilmington, nc, if you want to see poor planning in action, or lack of action. I have been to both raleigh and greenville and like greenville much more. why would you really want a cary? it's just a boring suburb. my biggest gripe with raleigh is that it has the big city population and traffic with no big city to speak of. raleigh is pretty small, the area is just spread out over several areas. downtown greenville was much nicer than downtown raleigh. I have thought about moving to both but greenville offers much more in my opinion but I have only spent a short time there.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 PM

11,717 posts, read 24,983,727 times
^^For real. Cary=snoozeville USA.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM

110 posts, read 458,792 times
I get tired of Spartanburg looking shabby. I really wish that we would spruce up the infrastructure, but people here scream at anything that looks like taxes are being raised. For example, the on ramps to the freeways are way too short, and IMHO dangerous. They also don't like zoning, which would help a lot.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,907,701 times
who wouldn't scream at the idea of taxes getting raised. people usually do it because they see all the tax dollars that are wasted. the money is out there for the state/city to the the work. no need to raise the taxes! I continue on my theme of low taxes.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,417,034 times
As I said Sonrise, Greenville has a lot more going for it than other cities that are even larger than it and you see most these folks agree. A lot of them look to Greenville as a model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area