Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 AM

480 posts, read 1,918,796 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate southward from Ohio. I basically want a fairly All-American, conservative mid-sized metro that's Southern, but not "deep south" climate-wise, something with four seasons but mild enough winters, and a growing, or at least steady, economy and population. I work in the mortgage business and can make a decent living anywhere people are buying and refinancing homes, but would prefer a place that at least some home-building and population growth is occurring. At the same time, I want to avoid places where a "starter" home is 300 grand, so that crosses off Wilmington NC and Charleston SC.

I am looking at Greenville/Spartanburg in SC and the Triad area of NC. Opinions/comments/questions??

Main concerns -

-real estate costs
-overall economy
-school districts
-low crime
-conservative people, I'm not into the left-wing artsy stuff you'd find in a place like Asheville, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,910,646 times
Really, but areas are great choices. I'd be hard for me to choose between them. The Greensboro area's a little bigger, has a little more to do recreationally. The Greenville areas cost of living is a bit lower, and is a little prettier (they have the mountains in the background). You really can't go wrong with either.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:29 AM

90 posts, read 443,408 times
I can only speak on Greenville and some surrounding areas.

Greenville is growing - fast. I live in Easley, SC and absolutely love it. We're in a 'country' setting and can hop on the 85 and get to the city of Greenville within 15 min. Easley is in Anderson Co. and there is still land available for "build to suit" situations. My husband is a builder and has built in Greenville Co and Anderson Co. Starter homes in this area begin (around) $180K and can go up to $500K. Crime is low. We can leave our doors unlocked and know when we get home, all our 'stuff' will still be here. We are in what is considered the 'best' school district in Anderson Co. It is the Wren School Dist. We moved here so our kids could go to this particular dist.

There is also growth in nothern Greenville Co. There is Taylors and Greer. Land is still available up there, esp around the Lake Robinson area. My husband has built over 14 homes in that area and has had wonderful success up there. There are several new subdivs. going up around Lake Robinson. One is called Blue Ridge Plantation. Houses will begin (at, around) $190K and some will sell for more $250K+. Several building companies have bought tracts within Blue Ridge Plantation and have various housing plans. This area is booming now. My husband has a new home for sale in the Pennington Pointe neighborhood and this is an upscale gated community. There are 3-4 houses up now. I believe 30 are planned for the community. All of these homes are $300K and up. (His home is selling for $450K). Taylors is a very nice area (esp in the Lake Robinson area and Tigerville areas). Very safe, good schools from what I've heard. We lived up there for 2 1/2 years. I loved the area. We were in a 'rural' setting and could be in Greenville within 30 min.

My husband's uncle owns a very successful mortgage co here in the upstate. Business is very good for him. I think you would have no problems with finding clients.

Hope this gives you some info. I'm sorry I do not know about the Greensboro and High Point areas. I'm a 'transplant' from Atlanta and I have nothing but positive things to say about the Upstate of SC. It's been wonderful living here.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catschmidt View Post
I can only speak on Greenville and some surrounding areas.

Greenville is growing - fast. I live in Easley, SC and absolutely love it. We're in a 'country' setting and can hop on the 85 and get to the city of Greenville within 15 min. Easley is in Anderson Co. and there is still land available for "build to suit" situations. My husband is a builder and has built in Greenville Co and Anderson Co. Starter homes in this area begin (around) $180K and can go up to $500K. Crime is low. We can leave our doors unlocked and know when we get home, all our 'stuff' will still be here. We are in what is considered the 'best' school district in Anderson Co. It is the Wren School Dist. We moved here so our kids could go to this particular dist.

There is also growth in nothern Greenville Co. There is Taylors and Greer. Land is still available up there, esp around the Lake Robinson area. My husband has built over 14 homes in that area and has had wonderful success up there. There are several new subdivs. going up around Lake Robinson. One is called Blue Ridge Plantation. Houses will begin (at, around) $190K and some will sell for more $250K+. Several building companies have bought tracts within Blue Ridge Plantation and have various housing plans. This area is booming now. My husband has a new home for sale in the Pennington Pointe neighborhood and this is an upscale gated community. There are 3-4 houses up now. I believe 30 are planned for the community. All of these homes are $300K and up. (His home is selling for $450K). Taylors is a very nice area (esp in the Lake Robinson area and Tigerville areas). Very safe, good schools from what I've heard. We lived up there for 2 1/2 years. I loved the area. We were in a 'rural' setting and could be in Greenville within 30 min.

My husband's uncle owns a very successful mortgage co here in the upstate. Business is very good for him. I think you would have no problems with finding clients.

Hope this gives you some info. I'm sorry I do not know about the Greensboro and High Point areas. I'm a 'transplant' from Atlanta and I have nothing but positive things to say about the Upstate of SC. It's been wonderful living here.
Think your hubby's uncle might be interested in seeing a resume?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:20 AM

90 posts, read 443,408 times
He may... let me know if you'd like me to email you privately with his info. I'm not sure what his employee situation is like now. He has an office in Greenville and one in Charlotte.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,480,435 times
On the surface, the Triad area of NC and Greenville-Spartanburg seem exactly the same.

They are both metropolitan areas of 1 - 1.5 million people, split fairly evenly between two cities without a dense (or interesting) urban area; basically giant suburban sprawls.

Neither area was ever very agricultural - instead they are both are old mill/industrial areas that have seen a big downturn in terms of their 'old economies'. Both have moderately well-established tech and healthcare sectors that are replacing the old industry. They are in nearly identical climates, and have very similar topographies (Piedmont, red clay hills).

Both are conservative, politically and religiously (good luck separating those two). Both are experiencing steady growth, and are likely to see a big boom in the near future, but neither are the current 'hot spot' of their respective states.

Both have a large population of blacks (transplants from after the Civil War, a key difference from the lowcountry) and Scotch/Irish appalachian-type white folks with twangy accents. Both areas have crime rates above national averages, but below state averages. Both cities have a college-age population, but neither is a legitimate 'college town'.

I could probably go on, but in my 6 months in Greensboro, I feel like I might as well be living in Greenville.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
On the surface, the Triad area of NC and Greenville-Spartanburg seem exactly the same.

They are both metropolitan areas of 1 - 1.5 million people, split fairly evenly between two cities without a dense (or interesting) urban area; basically giant suburban sprawls.

Neither area was ever very agricultural - instead they are both are old mill/industrial areas that have seen a big downturn in terms of their 'old economies'. Both have moderately well-established tech and healthcare sectors that are replacing the old industry. They are in nearly identical climates, and have very similar topographies (Piedmont, red clay hills).

Both are conservative, politically and religiously (good luck separating those two). Both are experiencing steady growth, and are likely to see a big boom in the near future, but neither are the current 'hot spot' of their respective states.

Both have a large population of blacks (transplants from after the Civil War, a key difference from the lowcountry) and Scotch/Irish appalachian-type white folks with twangy accents. Both areas have crime rates above national averages, but below state averages. Both cities have a college-age population, but neither is a legitimate 'college town'.

I could probably go on, but in my 6 months in Greensboro, I feel like I might as well be living in Greenville.
Do you like it or dislike it there?

Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 PM

I like it. I have to say, though, I'm not staying for long - and I would I rather be in Charleston or Columbia.

Although that may have more to do with where the people I know live, and my personal preferences. From your description who you are, and of what you're looking for, Greensboro sounds dead-on.

But it's very suburban-like, and Greensboro does not have a very good 'urban core'. Columbia's downtown isn't spectacular, and it's several notches ahead of Greensboro's in my book. I've spent some time in Greenville, but not enough to have strong opinions.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:18 PM

I've heard Greenville's downtown is quite impressive for it's size.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM

Well, make sure you visit. I know personally, I've seen plenty of opinions expressed here on this board that I completely disagree with. For instance, I haven't been impressed at all by Greenville's downtown. The suburbs, schools, and houses are Greenville's strong points, not the 'urban areas', IMO. Same way with Greensboro.

But, it's all about what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area