Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
I've heard Greenville's downtown is quite impressive for it's size.
That it is. Greensboro city leaders recently (in the last year or so) took a trip to Greenville to learn exactly what the latter's leaders did to recreate their downtown into the jewel it is. But Greensboro's downtown isn't exactly dead; the last time I was up that way, I was quite impressed by the activity I saw on Elm Street late into the night. But overall, I'd say that Greenville's downtown has an edge.

Winston-Salem's downtown probably has the biggest feel of all of the cities in both metro areas, mainly due to its impressive skyline for its size. I'd also say it has the best, most diverse local economy of all of the cities as well. Given its early Moravian influences, it's also the most unique of all of those cities too. Spartanburg comes the closest to an actual college town, but I'd probably say that the universities in Greensboro are the most integrated with the city itself.

My $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,095 times
I live in Greenville, and consider its downtown to be superior to most for its size. It is very active with evening social activity.

I also consider Greenville to be above average in available outdoor recreation.

I couldn't imagine a better climate for my tastes either.....maybe a few weeks in the summer that are a bit much, and winter is a few weeks long. But I've never seen so many 75 degree and sunny days in my life!!!

Can't comment on Greensboro.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:38 PM

31 posts, read 120,073 times
Default Newly relocated to Goose Creek

I moved to Goose Creek, SC 13 months ago. This is not Charleston. Goose Creek is a small, very small city, steadily growing, enjoying a great deal of home building. We (the collective we) need fine eatteries, more shopping, and a community identity.

This is a delightful community on the verge of becoming something more, and we are close enough to Charleston to enjoy the history and culture of this truely unique community.

Housing is not nearly as high as in Charleston proper. The homes are spacious, well designed, and will only increase in value over the next 100 years.

I could comfortably raise my children here, if they were not already grown . . . .
E

Old 11-21-2006, 06:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,930 times
The Triad sucks, move to Greenville-Spartanburg instead.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM

I don't see the Triad as inherently any better or worse than the Upstate.

Greenville must be doing something right with its downtown to have the city officials of many cities visit to try to learn of its successes. Read more about that here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/in...howtopic=16518

Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,951 times
One thing I found interesting about Greenville is that while the city proper appears small, when you consider total urbanized area it's as big as Greensboro.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:08 PM

^Actually a few thousand bigger.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:23 AM

5 posts, read 12,128 times
Thumbs up Greenville Smoke Free

Some people may consider this when chosing to relocate to Greenville. I think tobacco use has been banned in the city limits. I'm from Anderson county (a wonderful county across the board) so I don't know where exactly the the ban effects. As a non smoker I do intend to visit Greenville shopping centers and eateries more often.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
How about snowfall in both Greensville or Greensboro?

How often do they get it? Do either cities use road salt? Does everything shut down when they barely get enough to cover the roads, or are they "better prepared?"

I'm not really a fan of snow and I strongly dislike road salt, due to the damage it causes to cars and nice leather shoes. Seeing this wouldn't make me pack up and move, but the less frequent I see either, the happier I'd be.

(I might consider either place, if the right job opportunity came up)

Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 AM

286 posts, read 1,478,095 times
Greenville averages about 1-2 snowfalls a year, and even then it only stays on the ground for 1-2 days. I haven't seen salt used here, but do see sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area