Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times

Advertisements

Most? Is there any situation where someone can shoot 20 innocent people and it NOT be due to mental illness? lol.. Seems kind of like saying "Most fires are hot"

The trick is identifying those people before they act on it.. Say all you will, but it's 100% impossible to do that. Lord knows that everyone is trying, however. Which is also the reason that 5 year olds get expelled from school for firing a pretend gun with their fingers. Or the kid whose name in sign language looks like a gun, so the school said he'd have to change it.

If a tunnel collapses and kills 50 people.. You don't outlaw tunnels. You study how to better build the tunnels.. And, SOME gun control, I don't have a problem with. Full background checks are NOT a bad idea.. Provided we could trust the government to not keep the data.. Which, unfortunately, I don't feel we can. I mean, look at the folks in NY or NJ who had their home addresses printed in the paper because they were registered gun owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 PM

99 posts, read 203,783 times
Some people just like to kill people. It isn't always mental illness. The Boston bombers did it out of a religious ideology coupled with stupidity. The 9-11 hijackers the same. I don't think the Columbine shooters had any mental illness. A lot of them are just losers who want to commit suicide and want to be remembered for something before they die.

Many homicides are drug related.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
WSPA will be reporting on the textbook errors on the 11PM news tonight.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In a widely adopted high school textbook used in South Carolina and other states, an error was found in the Bill of Rights.

This type of error is the second found this week and in newer textbooks related to the new Common Core standards. This error was found by a student at Hillcrest and posted on facebook. Several news outlets picked it up and reported on the error.

You Won’t Believe What We Found in Another

I teach US History here in GC and the truly sad thing is is that the textbook in question has been in use here in the county since 2004 when they were brand new!!!!!!!! lol. We've been using The Americans as the textbook of choice for almost a decade with ZERO updates. It's mildly hilarious also when you consider that on the EOC test there are questions pertaining to events in the last 3 or 4 years that if you used the book and only the book you would not be able to teach your students those concepts.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I teach US History here in GC and the truly sad thing is is that the textbook in question has been in use here in the county since 2004 when they were brand new!!!!!!!! lol. We've been using The Americans as the textbook of choice for almost a decade with ZERO updates. It's mildly hilarious also when you consider that on the EOC test there are questions pertaining to events in the last 3 or 4 years that if you used the book and only the book you would not be able to teach your students those concepts.
Well that speaks volumes on our educational system. It is certainly breaking down..equal blame should be on the administrators/teachers and also on the parents for not speaking up. I can only hope that there are good teachers such as yourself that when you see these errors you at least advise your students.

Is there a way parents can get administrators to buy updated (and correct) history books? Or is it totally a funding issue?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Is there a way parents can get administrators to buy updated (and correct) history books? Or is it totally a funding issue?
Back in the 80's when I was in school.. If you lost/destroyed a school-provided textbook, it was generally about $50 to replace it.. Which.. Probably means about $100 in today's money.

I would assume, because of that, it is 100% a funding issue.. I can remember in 88 that my history textbook was copyrighted 1982.. And that was in Fairfax County, VA.. Which generally is considered one of the top 10 education states.

10 years is a long time for a history textbook, I'd agree.. Something like English, you could probably get away with not updating for 10-15 years, so long as the book itself held up. With history.. Let's say that they were using a history book printed in 2000.. The students in high school right now were.. what? 2 or 3 when 9/11 happened? History is actually constantly in flux.. Back in the 80s.. There was no debate about whether Truman did the right thing by dropping the bombs on Japan in WWII. At least, not a mainstream debate.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Back in the 80's when I was in school.. If you lost/destroyed a school-provided textbook, it was generally about $50 to replace it.. Which.. Probably means about $100 in today's money.

I would assume, because of that, it is 100% a funding issue.. I can remember in 88 that my history textbook was copyrighted 1982.. And that was in Fairfax County, VA.. Which generally is considered one of the top 10 education states.

10 years is a long time for a history textbook, I'd agree.. Something like English, you could probably get away with not updating for 10-15 years, so long as the book itself held up. With history.. Let's say that they were using a history book printed in 2000.. The students in high school right now were.. what? 2 or 3 when 9/11 happened? History is actually constantly in flux.. Back in the 80s.. There was no debate about whether Truman did the right thing by dropping the bombs on Japan in WWII. At least, not a mainstream debate.
As parents in SC, we really need to do something about this. I would like to see the board purchase new history books but only after they have been reviewed by a group of administrators, teachers and parents. (You are right about the cost, my son spilled his lunch milk all over his new 2nd grade textbook on SC and we had to replace it...something like $48 I think.)

Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM

99 posts, read 203,783 times
I don't think you'd ever get a consensus on which textbooks to use if parents were allowed to review them, given the different political beliefs of people.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1 View Post
I don't think you'd ever get a consensus on which textbooks to use if parents were allowed to review them, given the different political beliefs of people.
Sadly you are probably correct.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Should textbooks present opinions at all? It's simple to say "No".. But let's take my example of Truman dropping the bomb on Japan.. While I do not agree with the controversy, information that there IS a controversy as to whether it needed/should have been done should be presented. Because if it's not presented in the textbook, then you're reliant on the teacher to present that there is a controversy.. And at that point, you certainly do get the possibility of getting into a political situation where not all views are presented.

This is a situation that is likely limited to history/Government classes.. There's not a whole lot of disagreement that 1+1=2... And yes, while I can make a solid argument that 1+1=10, we're talking basic math here. Of course.. unless we're talking government math.. Which means that if I spend $200 this month, then I can spend $200 next month, regardless of my income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area