Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM

231 posts, read 576,832 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for tax preparers in the area (I live in Greer) that do not price gouge like H&R Block. I'd rather not do my taxes myself this year because I will be itemizing for the first time and it will involve medical deductions and mileage for medical appointments, so I want to make sure everything is done right. Can anyone recommend a smaller company (not a big chain) or a CPA that prepares taxes for a reasonable amount, hopefully sub $125?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM

288 posts, read 949,290 times
It would be a bit of a drive for you but we've had ours done by Stevenson Tax and Accounting in Simpsonville for years. I am self-employed so my part is a bit complicated. They've done a good job for us at a reasonable price. Plus, they have very quick turnaround.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for tax preparers in the area (I live in Greer) that do not price gouge like H&R Block. I'd rather not do my taxes myself this year because I will be itemizing for the first time and it will involve medical deductions and mileage for medical appointments, so I want to make sure everything is done right. Can anyone recommend a smaller company (not a big chain) or a CPA that prepares taxes for a reasonable amount, hopefully sub $125?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
You can get your taxes done free with the United Way. Call your county's United Way or 411 to schedule an appointment. All preparers are IRS certified. Only requirement is household annual income must be less than $51000. Use to volunteer asa tax preparer last year. Good people and both your federal and state is free and is e-filed. BtW you have to have significant medical costs and/or mortgage payments to make itemizing worthwhile. For 85% of the people we saw, it was better to take the standard deduction. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM

145 posts, read 356,636 times
What about the M and M, Liberty type places? any luck with these for anybody?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
TurboTax will walk you through the whole process.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
I do my taxes with turbotax every year. well below $100, they walk you through every possible deduction/credit, and it gets filed quick so quick on my refund $$$$

Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM

125 posts, read 206,652 times
I've been using Piedmont Tax Service for years. My suggestion would be a bit of a drive but I believe well worth it. Ask for an appointment with Matt. He is efficient, knowledgeable and $100. Info below:

114 Piedmont Hwy Piedmont, SC 29673
(864) 845-5724

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM

298 posts, read 687,233 times
TurboTax for the win!

If you can log onto an internet bulletin board, you can do your own taxes with TurboTax.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
TurboTax for the win!

If you can log onto an internet bulletin board, you can do your own taxes with TurboTax.
Agreed. Turbo Tax is great.

The first year I truly did my own taxes finally, I was itemizing for the first time, I got married, bought a house, my wife worked 2 jobs in two different states in addition to a side consulting job, i was writing off student loan interest, and it still walked me through it all no problem over just a couple hours and I think I spent $30 on the software. I was dreading figuring all that out and it couldn't have been easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area