Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times

Advertisements

OK, my husband is driving me bonkers trying to find a retirement home in NC or SC. We had it narrowed down to 2 different places near Charlotte (actually have a refundable deposit down on one of them....another Ryan Homes Adult community), but now he has found this place, which has the same homes for substantially less money than over in Monroe, NC.

So......can anybody tell me about this place? It's listed as an active adult community, but I'm assuming it's not age restricted because we have found out the other one isn't. It's supposedly on Gresham Road just off Scuffletown Road. Says it's on the left after turning left off Scuffletown, but the aerial photo that I found only shows what appears to be a farm with tons of trees on the left, and it has a copyright of 2007.

I have read here that Woodruff has bad traffic, but what about Scuffletown? I want to be fairly close to some shopping areas, but don't want to be in the middle of traffic.

We live in PA so any info on this would be greatly appreciated. We are planning on coming down the weekend after next (not even going near Charlotte on race weekend!!!), so if it sounds like something we would be interested in, we would take the couple hours to come over and see it.

I've really appreciated all the help of the people on these boards! I'm so gladd that I found all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,171 times
I believe that community offers full lawn maintenance with hoa dues. I don't believe there is any age restrictions there because my neighbor went there to look and she has 2 young boys. As far as Scuffletown traffic, I don't find it to be too bad, but I don't think the entire Woodruff Rd area is bad either, which I feel is getting a bad wrap here lately. There is a short stretch of Woodruff which is bad, I would say that is between 85 and385. Other than that, the road is busy, but not usually at a standstill. Traffic moves, but yes, it is busy. There are lots of roads to go on if you want to stay off of Woodruff, even from Scuffletown, depending on where you are going. By the way, they just added a new light on Scuffletown at the Publix, which helps traffic trying to go through that intersection. I love the area at Five Forks, I find it very convenient to alot. By the way, you can get to there by going 101, instead of going all the way down Woodruff. Hope this helps.

Liz

PS I am from PA too, what part are you coming from?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
I'm in a very tiny town about an hour NE of Pittsburgh. It's called Kittanning. We are actually right outside of it in a township area.

I appreciate the info! Anyone else?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 48,456 times
We're building in Whitehall, another Ryan community that is just a little further down Woodruff Road from where you turn to go to Gresham Park. We're building a Colville which is one of the models that is also offered at Gresham Park. As far as I know, there are no age limits. I'm not sure but I think the farm that you are seeing on the map may actually be where Gresham Park is. They are building it in phases and are just on the first phase now. I agree with geoffandliz, I don't think the traffic is all that bad, I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I moved here from Knoxville, TN and the traffic was MUCH worse then anywhere in Greenville. We currently live near Woodruff and Hwy. 14 and it really isn't that bad and is VERY convenient. The busy part of Woodruff is down around 385 and 85 which is 6 or 7 miles from Gresham Park.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,741 times
Smile We Purchased in Gresham Park!

We live in New York and we really liked the location and the community everything is taken care of Lawn maintenance and beds, includes pool for $97 per month. That is what attracted us and we just loved the layout of the Colville. We will be closing in Late January 09. I have a collegue who has relatives in the area and they love it.

Good luck in your search but we found few houses with the layout which Gresham Park offers and the ease of maintenance.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
You can look at the zoning on greenville county GIS. www.gcgis.org

If you go to greenville planning commission [google them] you can look at the scuffletown road plan to see what is allegedly coming down the pike. we looked at one home near there [not on scuffletown] but saw the planned 4 laning and traffic light and bike lane that would engulf the backyard and that convinced us.

We moved from Fort Mill - I did not find the homes to be significantly less expensive here than there but taxes may be a bit lower here - SC is cheaper than NC and Monroe is in NC.

This area is growing like Fort Mill and I am sure, even with the planning commission [the long term development plans seem to be ignored and higher density IS going up than on the zoning maps and cul de sac neighborhoods are still being approved despite the plans recommendations] It will all be suburban sprawl soon so choose your neighbors well. For example, Ryans Southbrook homes is adjacent to an manufactured home community and across the street [not directly] from a site zoned light industrial.

Another one that has not fleshed out yet is Ryans Copper Creek - it seems that it will have a broad diversity of homes with decent sized lots and the area is developing well. We were interested but moved into an existing home in a different development off of Lee Vaughn Rd because we were told that until so much of the lots were built up there would be no internet service and I telecommute

One thing different here than in Fort Mill - it seems there is no attempt for backyard privacy and wooded areas within neighborhoods. I can at least say that for Ryan communities because we lived in a Ryan community in Fort Mill and they were much more wooded over there with less of the land developed for home lots.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
If you go to this page you may be able to find the plat plan for the subdivision
Directory Listing

You cannot see the homes in Gresham Park on GCGIS but you can see the lot lines, topography etc. Just go to mapping applications then do a parcel search for that subdivision. You can choose all kinds of layers, see what the homes actually sold for taxes, etc. You can EVEN very good real estate comps yourself on that site. It is very good. www.gcgis.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area