Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM

39 posts, read 95,611 times

Advertisements

We have some friends who want to visit and we are pretty new here ourselves. I am guessing the time when most things are blooming and the downtown area is prettiest is around the middle of March. Would that be about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
The first two weeks in April were amazing last spring. Azaleas and dogwoods were blooming simultaneously during that time in the North Main Street area.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Fall is also a very beautiful time to visit the city and the Upstate as a whole. Seems to me peak color happens around mid-late October most years. The parks (esp. Cleveland Park and Falls Park) are beautiful that time of year, and it's usually comfortable during the day and dry. Vibrant golds & reds on the trees and brilliant cloudless blue skies!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,277 times
I would agree with April or May even. Most people don't remember but in 1960 there was snow in March. I don't remember ever having any that late in the year but it did happen. Just saying.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Well with the winter we've had so far this year it maybe earlier than we are used to. April, usually by Easter time everything is in bloom. Now if Easter comes in March its probably too early to see spring blooms.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,694 times
We've got bulbs coming up right now, and three bushes starting to bloom already in our yard. Last year at this time we had been below freezing temps for 5 days. So, it's kind of hard to pinpoint the best time from year to year, but the crews at Falls Park will have things looking as good as possible all spring long. The last week of March, first week of April are usually really good for azaleas, I think.

You can go to http://www.greenvilledailyphoto.com/ and look at the archives along the right to see some photos of downtown from previous years.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
I would agree with April or May even. Most people don't remember but in 1960 there was snow in March. I don't remember ever having any that late in the year but it did happen. Just saying.
You don't have to go back that far. We have had snow in March several times. One March in the mid 1980s we had snow on three consecutive Wednesdays and each was heavier than the one before.

Of course we had a huge snow event during the Superstorm of 1993 that affected the entire eastern third of the country. There was about 15 inches at my house. That was March 13.

We have had snow in April before. I don't remember which year. It was just an inch or two.

Spring blooms begin with the cold loving bulb types like crocus, tulip, and daffodils. Very early, even when we have had cold weather. There is usually something blooming from February to late May. Most people prefer the azaleas and dogwoods, which are late March to April, depending on the weather.

BTW, the Old Farmer's Almanac says February should be 3 degrees colder than normal for the Carolinas and Georgia. They also predicted 3 degrees warmer than normal for January, which looks about right. Their prediction for spring is cooler than normal for the country and much cooler than normal for summer with heavier than normal rainfall for spring and summer.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,594 times
The good news is that you can 'rewind' Spring by heading up to the mountains. It's amazing how much it changes with elevation. We visited in early April a couple years ago, and Greenville was a week or two ahead of Travelers Rest, and if you went up into NC, it was still nearly winter.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,809,487 times
I remember my first spring in Greenville. Things started blooming in March and went right into May with one beautiful tree and bush after another. It was jaw-droppingly beautiful, and I was hooked for life. Fall is stunning also. I love them both. As a previous posted stated, once things start to slow down here, just head north and enjoy it all over again.

Last spring everything seemed to start a week or so early. Who knows what this year will bring?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
We also have daffodils that are peaking out of the ground. No flowers yet mind you, but the stalk is nearly a foot high already. I can't remember seeing this in January in all our 8 years here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area