Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM

42 posts, read 74,739 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the commute is like from the Augusta Road area of Greenville to the area around USC Upstate in Spartanburg? I know the mileage, but it's hard to tell what the traffic is normally like. For those of you who make this drive a lot, is it something I should try to avoid? We're considering our housing options and are debating on whether or not living in Greenville and working in Spartanburg would be too difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
I'd say 30-40ish min, but I-85 can either be an efficient conduit of heavy traffic through the Upstate, or it can be a nightmare - sort of a Jekyll & Hyde. It's really a crapshoot during morning & evening rush hours. If traffic is stopped for an accident, it can back up for miles pretty quickly. Hwy 29 (Wade Hampton Blvd) is the only real alternative, and has many traffic lights. Reidville Rd gets you into Spartanburg, but not near USC Upstate. I may be a bit off on that last part, but others can jump in with better info, as I don't make the drive during work/school days.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
I live off S. Pleasantburg - I commuted to downtown Spartanburg (via I-85) for more than a year - my commute time was always 40-45 minutes (leaving at 6:50 am and arriving almost always at 7:30am), with normal flowing I-85 traffic. Of course, any wrecks/breakdowns will increase the commute time.

I do not recommend taking Wade-Hampton - as UB said, it has dozens and dozens of traffic lights and not one is synced. Additionally, 29 has got to be one of the worst aesthetically appealing roads in this area (I've never seen so many ugly strip centers and billboards).

As for housing, I'd much rather live near downtown Greenville than Spartanburg - my opinion only - this topic has been discussed numerous times in other threads. On the other hand, life's too short and I hate long commutes - fortunately, my commute is much shorter now .

Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Thank you. It's a tough call. We'd definitely rather live near downtown Greenville, but I'm sure the extra mileage would add up quickly. We'll probably rent for the first six months to a year in Greenville and get a feel for the drive. If it's too long, we'll buy closer to Spartanburg.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM

344 posts, read 816,445 times
If you decide against downtown Greenville, you should definitely check out the 29650 area of Greer, particularly around Batesville Rd and Gibb Shoals Rd. My husband commutes out of Charlotte, and it works great for us. Neighborhoods are nice, schools are great. We have easy access to 85 via Hwy 14 or Pelham Rd, and we can be downtown in 15 minutes, Pelham Rd. in 5 minutes, or Woodruff Rd. in 10 minutes. Personally, its my favorite area of Greenville. From those exits, it's 25-30 minutes to downtown Spartanburg.

We did move to Spartanburg for just over 2 years to be closer to Charlotte, but we moved back this past January because we just did not like that area at all. We decided that his extra 30 minute drive a couple of times of month was WELL worth it to be back in Greenville.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks. Other than the drive, our other concern about Greenville is the schools. We're also considering Greer since it seems like the schools out there are a little better than those in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area