Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 14,457 times

Advertisements

I think the downtown is the best I have seen anywhere. Why do you think it is is one of the bst if not the best in the US for the size town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM

83 posts, read 156,152 times
Everything is designed perfectly at a pedestrian scale. I love the trees (and the lights), the sidewalk dining, the public art, and the mix of historical and modern structures.
I'm also very excited about the work being done at Riverwalk, the Peace Center, Project ONE, and the Hyatt--I think that the dynamic plazas being built in these projects will have a huge impact on downtown.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 PM

5,600 posts, read 15,480,090 times
Well, I believe it is difficult to compare some aspects between different cities because they do not function similarly in every case, but here are a few that I think help Greenville's overall appeal.
  • Falls Park / Reedy River Falls
  • Established streetscaping along Main Street
  • Vibrant yet cozy/comfortable atmposphere
  • Pedestrian and pet friendly
  • Safe and family friendly
  • Variety of quality dining options
  • Adequately integrated public spaces (parks, plazas, zoo, riverwalk trail, art)
  • Sense of civic pride and economic growth
  • Multi-ethnic culture on the streets, in the parks, shops, cafés, pubs, museums, galleries, theatres, sports venues, and corporate offices

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,268,221 times
I think it's the prettiest DT I've ever been to because...

Falls Park, which I think is it's highlight and
  • You can see the beauty, decication and pride it's taken to make it what it is.
  • That people are eager to take those who've never been there to go see it. It's a focal point for out of towners
  • Others have written about it being so beautiful, so we can't be wrong!
  • It's clean, well kept, inviting, relaxing and beautiful
  • The suspension bridge is unusual
  • That it's a surprise to those who don't know it's there.
  • That it's right down town People can come and relax, even during their lunch break
When I first came to Greenville to look at homes the realtors took me through DT and mentioned Falls Park but from the street you couldn't see it from my vantage point. It wasn't until after I bought the house that I finally went to see what all the hoopla was about, and then I knew what all the hoopla was about. If you don't know about it, you can drive right past it, but if you go get to see it, you say WOW!

I also love seeing the lights in the trees at night

Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,277,277 times
To me, it can't be duplicated anywhere. I've looked and can't find anything as nice or similar. The stores, bars, restaurants are a perfect mix. Many times when you go to a downtown, it doesn't have a mix of these things. A lot of times, it's all antique stores and a couple cafe's. The other option that came to mind would be vacation spots that are very touristy with many souvenir shops. Greenville doesn't feel touristy to me. Downtown is a place for the locals to hang out. I also love Reedy Park and the waterfalls. Best of all, it's all walkable on one main strip. No too mention all the events and festivals going on.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:54 PM

212 posts, read 426,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
To me, it can't be duplicated anywhere. I've looked and can't find anything as nice or similar. The stores, bars, restaurants are a perfect mix. Many times when you go to a downtown, it doesn't have a mix of these things. A lot of times, it's all antique stores and a couple cafe's. The other option that came to mind would be vacation spots that are very touristy with many souvenir shops. Greenville doesn't feel touristy to me. Downtown is a place for the locals to hang out. I also love Reedy Park and the waterfalls. Best of all, it's all walkable on one main strip. No too mention all the events and festivals going on.
All those things are true, but I highlighted the absolutely best point you made. That one point is true because of all the other points. It is the culmination of all of them.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM

899 posts, read 2,302,109 times
I always used to hear that Greenville was the only city in the country to have a natural urban waterfall flowing in its downtown area. I've always assumed it to be true, but regardless the public space that has been created around the Reedy River Falls including the park and bridge help make the downtown top notch. Also an awesome downtown minor league ballpark and a good mix of dining/bar/cafe options.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM

5,600 posts, read 15,480,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
I always used to hear that Greenville was the only city in the country to have a natural urban waterfall flowing in its downtown area. I've always assumed it to be true, but regardless the public space that has been created around the Reedy River Falls including the park and bridge help make the downtown top notch. Also an awesome downtown minor league ballpark and a good mix of dining/bar/cafe options.
Your sources were incorrect. There are other cities with natural waterfalls in downtown, but not many. A couple examples are Sioux Falls, SD, and Rochester, NY.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,934,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtreeman View Post
I think the downtown is the best I have seen anywhere. Why do you think it is is one of the bst if not the best in the US for the size town?
Detail, detail, detail......something many cities overlook.

Local attitude of the citizens......without the right attitude, many cities / downtowns are just buildings.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,594,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Detail, detail, detail......something many cities overlook.
Absolutely!

I think it all boils down to City leaders' attitudes. Not be complacent, having STANDARDS, and VISION! The City has constantly had a masterplan in place since downtown's revitalization and it continually updates and invests in that plan. We are VERY spoiled here to not have parking meters ANYWHERE, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area