Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,068 times

Advertisements

All right, now I am very nervous. We have been in the process of looking at new homes to build. We had it narrowed down to 3 pretty quick. Unfortunately Ryan homes does not do contingency contracts, and with a house to sell, in this market, no way. Then we looked at McCar homes. We tried hard to make them work because we like the neighborhood they have. But were still a little skeptical because we felt like their model homes were not "Perfect". (We think that anybody's model homes should be flawless.) Now after reading all the posts of horror stories with them, I think I am glad we have not signed a contract yet. That leaves us with Eastwood Homes. We have been looking at their houses. We found a house and a neighborhood that has not started being built yet, but should be soon- roads are paved and lots are staked. So, we have been waiting....... Is there any stories about them. I have not been able to find out a whole lot of information about experiences here with Eastwood here in Greenville. I would like to know what to watch out for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 AM

105 posts, read 383,728 times
i have driven through several Eastwood Homes neighborhoods in Simpsonville and have not been impressed with any of them. I can't say anything about the quality of homes since i have not been in any of them but the neighborhoods seem to be in poor condition which is an immediate turn off for me

Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM

43 posts, read 187,287 times
We looked at quite a few Eastwood developments. While I really liked their floorplans they build their houses far to close together for what we wanted. I have heard many a horror story about poor quality of their homes. Right now we are looking into Poinsett Homes and Ryan Homes.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 48,017 times
I've heard the top homes are Ryan and Poinsett as far as quality. I would definitely agree with that.. Everytime I walked into a Ryan Home, it almost made me cry because it just felt like home...even the townhomes..Their model homes were the only ones to make me do that...However, they do cost a little more than Eastwood and McCar, but it's probably worth it...Some items that are options by other builders are considered standard with their homes, depending on the floorplan..The only downside is they don't build until you contract to buy, so it's a bit hard to grab a spec home..I was a fan of the Cypress plan that has the sitting room in the master bedroom with Eastwood Homes, but didn't care for the location..A friend of mine has a Poinsett home and feels very strongly that they are the best..I was fan of their model home called "Fairhaven"(i think that's the name), but it's located at the Twin Creeks Community..Very nice layout..

Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,665 times
Do a search for "Eastwood" and it should pull up several comments made over the last year.

I bought an Eastwood Home (new) and lived in it for 7 years. I left with this impression: It was built with absolute economy materials, and with average build quality. I never had a real issue to complain about, but nothing about the house ever to be proud of either.

They did respond well on about 5-6 issues over the years that were fixed.

All in all, I think it was a good value for the dollar spent. If it doesn't bother you that the house will reflect its lower price, then have at it with confidence. However, if you are expecting it to feel better than a "starter home" I would shop elsewhere (and spend 20% more).

Old 08-29-2007, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 19,378 times
As a recent purchaser of an Eastwood home, I do have to agree with tony123. We have had numerous issues since moving in mid-May. Albeit, they have been really good about coming out to somewhat fix the problems. It's been close to an absolute nightmare for us. We bought it too quickly, feeling rushed because I was pregnant and we were living in a small apartment. The model homes are quite nice, they must use their best crews on those and take extra time on them. Looking back, I really wish that we had spent more time researching other builders. I would have definitely spent more in order to be happy with my new home. Overall, it's a inexpensive starter home that is nicely built(not great by all means), but if you have the extra to spend, I would recommend researching other builders.

Then again, we have such terrible luck with things, that it could be just us. LOL!! I doubt it though.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:14 PM

74 posts, read 310,137 times
We just (this month) put a contract on a new Ryan home in Simpsonville. We too, have a home to sell, and although, we did not have a contingency clause put in the contract, they have our final move in date pushed back to Feb (instead of Dec, which is currently where they are at). They also told us that we would be safe if our house did not sell, because that would mean our financing would fall through and that would give us an automatic "out". They need buyers just as much as we need buyers for our homes, so we are all in the same boat! I just hope my house sells so things move on as planned. Good luck with yours as well.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM

36 posts, read 122,735 times
Default after-the-fact suggestion/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffandliz View Post
All right, now I am very nervous. We have been in the process of looking at new homes to build. We had it narrowed down to 3 pretty quick. Unfortunately Ryan homes does not do contingency contracts, and with a house to sell, in this market, no way. Then we looked at McCar homes. We tried hard to make them work because we like the neighborhood they have. But were still a little skeptical because we felt like their model homes were not "Perfect". (We think that anybody's model homes should be flawless.) Now after reading all the posts of horror stories with them, I think I am glad we have not signed a contract yet. That leaves us with Eastwood Homes. We have been looking at their houses. We found a house and a neighborhood that has not started being built yet, but should be soon- roads are paved and lots are staked. So, we have been waiting....... Is there any stories about them. I have not been able to find out a whole lot of information about experiences here with Eastwood here in Greenville. I would like to know what to watch out for.
So what did you decide & how did it work out? My folks are about to build after just purchasing some property, and they have been working with Compass Homes. I've heard lots of good things about them recently.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM

169 posts, read 438,814 times
Bump...

Any first hand experiences with Eastwood Homes, specifically the Villages at Bentcreek in Greer.

Advice on the builder, negotiations, and the area needed. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM

99 posts, read 213,580 times
Were I about to build a new home, I would go with a LOCAL builder -- and by local I do not mean a national builder with an office in Greenville. When someone lives, works and volunteers in the same city as their clients, there's a level of commitment you aren't as likely to get when the CEO lives elsewhere.

Here's a link to the Home Builders Association of Greenville Find a Builder, Green Builder, Remodeler, Contractor | Greenville, SC members -- it's a good place to start researching. HBA hosts a Home & Garden Show every spring, Spring Southern Home & Garden Show : Home Builders Association, where you can meet many of these local builders face to face.

Disclaimer: my comment is not 100% unbiased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area