Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM

609 posts, read 1,623,565 times

Advertisements

I goto Tampa pretty often. Going to Orlando and Tampa for a week in July.

You dont like Ybor City? ? I thought it was rather cool. I wanted to goto the Mardi Gras but missed it

I read locals perspective on the area but never saw anything of hte nature ... in talks of it having problems of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,557,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
If the OP found a decent job here, they should find it easier to find one in SC. For the most part FL has even poorer paying jobs, less of them (as the bulk of the economy here is service industry based), and the cost of living is higher than SC. Unemployment here is also considerably higher than SC.

As for staffing agencies, that happens everywhere, and the few manufacturing companies that do exist here mostly uses staffing agencies the same way (and have for the 20 years that I've been here).
Lets tailor our responses here. The OP is specifically asking about what is happening in Greenville SC (where they are interested in moving to) with regard to jobs. They did not ask about other states/cities....therefore I am not going to be deleted for being off topic trying to discuss other states/cities. Whether it happens in other cities or not the bottom line is that temporary workers should not make up the bulk of a companys labor force.....and it happens in SC all the time.

SC is a right to work state....or should I say a right to abuse employees state and as such can get away with a lot of abuses that businesse's in other states do not dare try. Let us not also forget that the OP already stated that they have a good job in Florida......why give up a good job just to come to SC and have to fight to find decent wage employment?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,682,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Lets tailor our responses here. The OP is specifically asking about what is happening in Greenville SC (where they are interested in moving to) with regard to jobs. They did not ask about other states/cities....therefore I am not going to be deleted for being off topic trying to discuss other states/cities. Whether it happens in other cities or not the bottom line is that temporary workers should not make up the bulk of a companys labor force.....and it happens in SC all the time.
My response was tailored to the conversation perfectly. I happen to have lived in FL (near the OP) for 20 years, and have spent the last 2 years doing research on moving my family and small business to Greenville, a move that will happen in just weeks.

My point is only that the OP is from FL, and temp workers are used extensively in manufacturing here as well. It is not my intention to discuss wrong or right of it, just to point out that the OP is coming from a state that follows the same practices, so probably won't be surprised by it at all (if they even care since they aren't in manufacturing?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
SC is a right to work state....or should I say a right to abuse employees state and as such can get away with a lot of abuses that businesse's in other states do not dare try. Let us not also forget that the OP already stated that they have a good job in Florida......why give up a good job just to come to SC and have to fight to find decent wage employment?
Again, I'm comparing apples to apples here. FL is a right to work state, as is Virginia where the OP lived before FL (as are 20 other states). My point is that the OP will find very similar corporate environments or mindsets in SC to what they they are used to here. I'm not debating the wrong or right of the situation, just stating that it's the same here, where the OP currently lives, so there won't be any big culture shock.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM

745 posts, read 2,238,391 times
I've lived in the Tampa-St Pete area for 30 years, and jobs are very tough. I'm in a position to hire people, and we get overwhelmed when we place an ad for help. That being said, if you have a good job here, you want to be sure you can get something before moving- anywhere.

As for city life- Tampa has a lot more going on than Greenville, but it's spread all over the place. Professional football, baseball, hockey (all majors) Many concert venues, clubs, etc. You can't walk to them, though, they're all over the place. In Greenville, you could park in one place and take in a ball game, shop, have dinner, take in a concert, and have coffee, without getting in your car.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,557,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
My response was tailored to the conversation perfectly. I happen to have lived in FL (near the OP) for 20 years, and have spent the last 2 years doing research on moving my family and small business to Greenville, a move that will happen in just weeks.

My point is only that the OP is from FL, and temp workers are used extensively in manufacturing here as well. It is not my intention to discuss wrong or right of it, just to point out that the OP is coming from a state that follows the same practices, so probably won't be surprised by it at all (if they even care since they aren't in manufacturing?).

Again, I'm comparing apples to apples here. FL is a right to work state, as is Virginia where the OP lived before FL (as are 20 other states). My point is that the OP will find very similar corporate environments or mindsets in SC to what they they are used to here. I'm not debating the wrong or right of the situation, just stating that it's the same here, where the OP currently lives, so there won't be any big culture shock.
2 Years of research can NEVER compare to years of ACTUALLY LIVING IN GREENVILLE....YOU CURRENTLY LIVE IN FLORIDA with a PLANNED MOVE to Greenville. Therefore your reasoning is based purely on limited knowledge and a couple of years worth of research on Greenville.....there is a huge difference. You cannot yet give an apples to apples comparison between Florida and Greenville because you have not lived in Greenville yet.

You can NEVER really know a city/state until you actually EXPERIENCE LIVING THERE EVERYDAY. Then add in the fact that you are SELF EMPLOYED and will probably NEVER experience what the SC job market is like for the AVERAGE PERSON LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT! Live in Greenville a few years.....work for someone else then come back on here and tell everyone about your experience......can guarantee that you will think totally differently than you do now.

What I have said about Greenville is based on my FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE FROM LIVING THERE FOR YEARS.....and not just living there but being there laid off and looking for employment. Not to mention the fact that I own a home in Greenville and there quite often throughout the year.

Florida may have some similarities to SC but I am sorry very different places in my opinion....Florida is way more progressive and way less conservative than SC! But I respect everyone's opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-15-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area