Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,001 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am a 31 year old RN and I am married to a paramedic. I have a 9 month old son. We live in Sebastian, Fl. It's a small town on the east coast. We have both lived here most of our lives and we want a pleasant change. This area is filled with retirees so we want to move somewhere in SC with more young people and more to do.

We are both non-denominational christians. I was raised in church as my father is a pastor. My husband is a man's man and loves anything to do with hunting, fishing and sports. Me well shopping of course!

We're looking to live somewhere outside of a bigger city and on a little property. Not right in the city.

Anyway, given that little ditty about me and my family. Where would you SC folks suggest we move to? Are there any places up there that you would not recommend we move?
THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Welcome to the boards sassysizzle! There are some suburban areas that are very close to Greenville. Simpsonville, Mauldin, Greer, Travelers Rest, etc. I may have missed some. Simpsonville is actually my favorite.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 AM

266 posts, read 300,783 times
After spending my life in Stuart,Fl I moved to Travelers Rest last fall and love it. I would never go back!Ten miles to Greenville and all the shopping you can handle,about the same to the mountains for all the outdoor activities you can handle. Make sure to check out thr T.R. area when you visit.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
you will want to check out the job situation and get jobs before you move. Despite being "better than average" in south carolina, Greenville is having a tight job market right now, even for qualified nurses.

Paramedics and EMTs I have known have not liked their pay and working conditions (who does, though?). I say that because our area may be even worse than yours in regards to the working situation, yet, it may be better. Check it out and get offers before moving, imo.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,001 times
Thanks everyone. I will definately check into the Simpsonville, Traveler's Rest areas as well when I go up there in August. I will definately not move until we have jobs. ")

Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,647 times
Default Easley

Don't forget to check out Easley! The other suggestions are good as well, I just had to throw in my hometown. Ft. Inn may be easier to find land and is very close to Simpsonville. Depends on how much land you are looking for. Travelers Rest would be good for land as well. They have a small hospital (North Greenville), which is part of Greenville Hospital System but I don't know if they are hiring. You can check jobs online at www.ghs.org i believe. There is also St. Francis hospital, Palmetto Baptist and several more.

Good luck! I hope you love it here.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 30,212 times
We are about the same age, in our early to mid 30's and have a 9 year old son. I have been researching this area for over 9 months. We moved down here from the same kind of area you currently live (w/o the retirees) and we love it. I would 110% say Simpsonville. We live by the IMAX theater they just built and the Hospital and Heritage Park and its like you are in a little town, drive 5 minutes you are in country or drive 10 mins in another direction and you can be on woodruff road with tons of stores, the haywood mall isn't far so its easy to get to and then on Fairview Road you have a mini version of Woodruff Rd (which you'll hear alot about in your research probably), got your 2 grocery stores, Khols, Target, Wal Mart, Lowe's, couple chain pharmacies, and lots of your regular fast food places and some good non chain places to eat, umm a blockbuster, basically your own little city thats on 2 roads only but the traffic isn't soooooo busy like Woodruff. PM me if you have any questions =)

Also weird thing... we are also non denom christians.. i was at our pool and ran into my Pastor from Ohio where I used to live's sister....was crazy!! We both have boys going into 3rd grade at Bryson Elementary and have become good friends fast and have been trying out some churches together here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area