Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,255 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Greenville and I am looking at a house in Gowen Estates. Does anyone live in that area, and can you give me some pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpka View Post
I am moving to Greenville and I am looking at a house in Gowen Estates. Does anyone live in that area, and can you give me some pros and cons?
I assume you meant Gower Estates? It's a GREAT location, a little more than 10 minutes from downtown, easy access to the interstates, the mall and Woodruff Rd. Plus, you're in the city limits of Greenville, which comes with a greater quality of life. The schools are very good, too!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,255 times
Thanks for your comments. Do you actually live in Gower Estates? How are the people and neighbors? I'm looking for a sense of community and a place to establish roots for retirement. I don't want to live in a 55 plus community, though. I want to hear children playing and people of all ages interacting. Would you say that Gower Estates would meet these expectations?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpka View Post
Thanks for your comments. Do you actually live in Gower Estates? How are the people and neighbors? I'm looking for a sense of community and a place to establish roots for retirement. I don't want to live in a 55 plus community, though. I want to hear children playing and people of all ages interacting. Would you say that Gower Estates would meet these expectations?
I grew up in Gower, and my parents and grandparents still live there.

The great thing about the Gower area is that there's a wide mix of houses. It's a great area for young people to get on their feet, raise kids, and either renovate their house or move to another street where prices are higher and the houses are larger. Resultantly, the population has a wide range of ages. I think you would definitely get your demographics that you're looking for. The streets are generally wide, so where there are no sidewalks, the idea of exercise is not a problem. Furthermore, there seems to always be signs up advertising neighborhood gatherings. It's a great, well-established area. And, because of its location, reinvestment and money are always pouring into the homes and increasing their value.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 PM

93 posts, read 165,888 times
Pros, it's great, great location, and established, mature demographic and all that goes with it. Con's: probably older houses and the things that usually go with that.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times
I currently live in Gower Estates (folks around here just say "Gower" ).

If you choose to live within the city limits of Greenville and desire the best options for public schools, the Parkins Mill area (including Gower) and North Main offer the best options. Gower offers a fantastic mix of homes and families. Yes, most homes were built in the 60's and 70's - but many have been updated and renovated.

I live 7 minutes from downtown Greenville, 7 minutes from Haywood Mall, 6 minutes from Caine Halter Y, 4 minutes from the southern terminus of the Swamp Rabbit Trail, and 10 minutes from Trader Joe's

Gower has a great neighborhood pool and the swim team is quite accomplished. Home prices in Gower range from the low $200's to 500+. The Parkins Mill area includes a few homes above $1 million.

Gower websites/other info:
Gower Estates Neighborhood Association
Gower Pool
Here is a recent article from the Greenville News re Gower and the influx of young families

Last edited by drfranklin; 04-20-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
The Parkins Mill area includes a few homes above $1 million.
I'd say quite a few when you get below Sara Collins.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM

83 posts, read 154,974 times
I have lived in Gower for about ten years, and we absolutely love it.
It is very family friendly, walkable, and close to everything!
There is definitely some variability in price depending on which part of the neighborhood you prefer.
Collins Creek is geographically a part of Gower, but the homes tend to be a little pricier.

The lots tend to be really large and flat, and the homes are pretty large as well. Some of them are a little outdated (especially the exterior), but nothing a little renovations couldn't fix! There are constantly renovations in this neighborhood, though, and most of the houses are being updated.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM

10,081 posts, read 7,760,140 times
I don't live there but go jogging over there quite a bit just because I love that neighborhood and the wide street and I love the houses and mature trees in the neighborhood. I'd say there is a sense of community.

I always enjoy going jogging different places just to get to know where I live and I always think while jogging in Gower that I wished I lived in that neighborhood.

I like that area a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area