Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:07 AM

46 posts, read 137,696 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone who currently lives in the Greenville/Spartanburg area who has a child that receives special ed services? I am trying to find out if Greenville schools are better in this regard or Spartanburg. The most important factor in our decision where to move is the schools, our son receives services where we are now, and I would want an elementary school that has excellent special ed teachers and programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 52,792 times
I have a friend whose child is finishing at Riverside High School in Greenville county, and has been very pleased with the program there.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
I have no personal experience with the special education in either county's public schools, but here is a website (http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/district/support/sped/index.asp - broken link) that should help you discover information about Greenville County School District. You may want to contact them directly to get even more help.

I have heard that Camperdown Academy is helpful as well.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM

46 posts, read 137,696 times
Thank you for your replies. Does anyone have experience with any of the elementary schools?
It seems that Camperdown Academy is for children with dyslexia, our son has possible ADD along with motor delays, but thank you for trying to help.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
I'm not sure what type of special ed you are inquiring about, but my fiance' has just started as a school psychologist with the Greenville school district, and from what I understand, they have many resources and tests available to them that she did not where we lived in New York, and a huge staff as well, I know this may not help, but I thought I would add it anyway, Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 PM

153 posts, read 715,725 times
I have litte experience with this area, but Spartanburg's seven school districts probably have different levels of success. I would assume District 5 and 6 are the better ones (not that the others are bad), but you're probably going to be better checking them out for yourself.

Spartanburg District 5: District Five Schools of Spartanburg, South Carolina
Spartanburg District 6: Spartanburg School District 6

Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
My dtr has downs syndrome how are the services for job training as she is 17, currently she recieves job training on LI. We think and have also heard that Spartenburg schools are great with disabilities has anyone had experience with them for an older child? Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM

110 posts, read 455,794 times
Default special ed

I have been a special ed teacher in Spartanburg District 7 for 13 years, and I believe that we offer excellent services. Spartanburg District 7 has 2 especially excellent elementary schools with caring conscientious teachers. I have taught in a junior high with terrific special ed teachers and presently teach at the high school, where we have a great program. The advantage to Spartanburg District 7 is that our school population is stable and we have very nice facilities (no portable classrooms) as well as a very experienced teaching staff. As teachers we are offered staff development in new teaching strategies. Please feel free to email me and I'll give you my phone number if you'd like to talk. I know that this is an important decision.

I think that the environment on the east side of Spartanburg is caring and nurturing as we are a smaller area with a stable (rather than transient) population.

I have never taught in Greenville, and my only concern with Greenville is the explosive growth. This tends to cause the schools to use protable classrooms and also to have trouble recruiting enough teachers. Teachers, especially special ed teachers are in short supply in this area.

hcross888@gmail.com

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 71,671 times
I have a similar question, so I hope you don't mind if I share (hijack) your post.

My 5 y/o son has slight autism. I say slight because it was discovered at 18 months, and we've had major services since then. Most people never realize my son is autistic - the services have been THAT good. We have excellent programs where we live now, beginning at 3 years old in the public schools. What can I expect in SC?

Katie

Old 08-02-2007, 02:04 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Ask the folks at either Washington Center (public) or Hidden Treasure (private). They both have a fantastic reputation and wonderful facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area