Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM

20 posts, read 58,198 times

Advertisements

I graduated from Guilford College in 1991, and I'm wondering how Greensboro has changed since then. More Yankees moving in? More/less progressive/conservative? How is it as a place for families with kids? Is the downtown area more lively? I seem to recall the sidewalks rolling up at 6pm. Also I recall lots of malls and chains, not a lot of ethnic restaurants. My hubby and I live in greater Boston, but we keep contemplating moving in a couple of years to someplace warmer (both in temperature and people-wise). This area is so expensive and it is killing us. My husband has always lived in the liberal northeast and I think NC could come as a rude shock. But I'm interested if it is very different than it was way back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Yes to all the above.
Stil a lot of strip malls and chain stores but the variety of cuisine has improved and dowtown life is progressing with condos & such, though you will never mistake it for NYC. That's not a bad thing IMO.
Obama won NC but conservatism is still strong and you know it because they whine about everything. NC finally got the lottery 3 yrs ago this month.
Stay tuned other posts soon to follow.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM

20 posts, read 58,198 times
Thanks for the information. We are not going anywhere immediately, but keeping our options open. How bad is the economy hitting down there? Lots of foreclosures and unemployment?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 AM

628 posts, read 2,070,431 times
I would say that Greensboro is a lot more liberal than conservative, thanks to all the colleges here. Most of the conservative leaning folks commute to Greensboro for work.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,948 times
Greensboro has grown a lot in the last 10 years.

- Downtown actually comes to life at night with bars and restaurants
- New ballpark downtown
- Friendly Center has become the shopping hotspot (does anyone go to Four Seasons?)
- FedEx hub, Honda jet HQ
- Beltline finally being built around the city (talked about all my life)
- I think all major cities tend to have more liberals. Obama did win in 2008, but don't kid yourself, there are still plenty of conservatives around and I think the mix is probably 50/50.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Greensboro is a very nice city. It is going through a very rough time now with massive unemployment of 10%. Its downtown is beginning to come to life but it still has a long way to go. I guess everyone has their own definition of what a liberal or conservative is, depending on what part of the country you are from. My favorite part of NC is the coastal area around Wilmington NC.
Although it is hurricane friendly there are many yankees there and even an italian deli! Also, Asheville is a very nice open minded sort of place, although it is not warm and is similar to my hometown of Roanoke VA. Good luck in your move south!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM

525 posts, read 2,123,552 times
You will definitely see an increase in diversity here in The Boro, as I like to call it. For example, I remember when the first mexican restaurant opened on Lee street when I was in college. And that was a long time ago! Now you can't miss em (San Luis is still my favorite) plus there's good Thai, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese... if only we could support a decent Cajun restaurant!
Our city government seems to be as clueless as ever, tho.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Greensboro & Winston-Salem are both great cities. Wouldn't say either are bustling...but that is a good thing. Have been in Charlotte for almost 20 years and am toying with moving back to the Triad for a slower pace of life. The Triad offers everything you need. Personally leaning more towards Winston-Salem...cause they blow Greensboro away in the Arts scene. Winston-Salem even blows Charlotte away in the Arts area. Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrywriter View Post
Thanks for the information. We are not going anywhere immediately, but keeping our options open. How bad is the economy hitting down there? Lots of foreclosures and unemployment?
We're getting our fair share, but IMO not getting as hard as other areas. Foreclosures are up but according to a friend of mine they mostly are VA loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point