Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times

Advertisements

My family uses alot of paper plates. I always rinse/wash them and put in the recycler. My husband asked me yesterday why I did so because they are not able to be recycled because they are not pure paper and they are either bleached or have coloring in them.

Any advice? Information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Many paper plates are coated with grease resistant waxes, in addition they still absorb a certain amount of oil. I was told at my transfer station that they can not recycle paper that is oily or greasy. Trash 'em , I'm afraid.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM

253 posts, read 805,567 times
Default maybe try...

we used both foam plates and paper plates....id recycle the paper with regular paper...even the wax coated ones, ive never heard that you cant. foam ones ive heard they dont recycle...im not sure, but ive tossed them in there to.

but i went greener, instead of relying on paper/foam plates, i got plastic plates....easy to wash up and reuse...like picnic plates....this to me is my little way of being green in one aspect...less paper in landfill, less trees being cut down.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
That's not very green. Buy some microwave dishes and use them instead..just wash off.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
we used both foam plates and paper plates....id recycle the paper with regular paper...even the wax coated ones, ive never heard that you cant. foam ones ive heard they dont recycle...im not sure, but ive tossed them in there to.

but i went greener, instead of relying on paper/foam plates, i got plastic plates....easy to wash up and reuse...like picnic plates....this to me is my little way of being green in one aspect...less paper in landfill, less trees being cut down.
Paper companies grow the trees to make paper from.
Their called tree farms....

Next time you see trees growing in neat little rows they may not be Christmas trees but trees that are grown for making paper.

If they did not grow them there would not be one tree left in North America today..

And that paper you recycle goes to china to make more boxes to send us more junk in to recycle again...I'ts a never ending CYCLE...

Last edited by Houston3; 04-18-2009 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Actually, Houston3, most of the corporations have sold off their tree farms for development and shut down their stateside paper mills. It's cheaper to let China do it all...

Although I have to say that this thread put me in mind of an old joke - "Let's do the dishes." "They are paper plates!" "right, you scrape and I'll erase."

Using paper plates is not only not ecologically sound, it isn't fiscally sound practice either. Moreover, if you use them to reheat foodstuffs in the microwave, the heat can cause chemicals from the paper plates to infiltrate your food. I'm not judging - it took me awhile to get DH off of them and to realize that the ceramic plates saved us money and actually performed better in the microwave!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:54 AM

252 posts, read 960,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If they did not grow them there would not be one tree left in North America today..
You've clearly never visited the Pacific Northwest or Alaska.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 AM

252 posts, read 960,626 times
The green thing to do is to not use paper plates at all.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
You've clearly never visited the Pacific Northwest or Alaska.
Been to Oregon a few times in the past...Been to Alaska once....

But I don't think that really has anything to do with there being no trees left in North America if the paper companies did not grow trees on tree farms.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Actually, Houston3, most of the corporations have sold off their tree farms for development and shut down their stateside paper mills. It's cheaper to let China do it all...

Although I have to say that this thread put me in mind of an old joke - "Let's do the dishes." "They are paper plates!" "right, you scrape and I'll erase."

Using paper plates is not only not ecologically sound, it isn't fiscally sound practice either. Moreover, if you use them to reheat foodstuffs in the microwave, the heat can cause chemicals from the paper plates to infiltrate your food. I'm not judging - it took me awhile to get DH off of them and to realize that the ceramic plates saved us money and actually performed better in the microwave!
If they have, they have done it in the last three years...

North American Pulp and Paper Mill Map

I've heard that the paper recycled here is sent to China and is used to make boxes to ship their junk back to us...

So I don't see how recycling paper plates helps anything...We just get it back in a different form.

Best thing is to just not use them unless you are going out on a picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living