Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM

375 posts, read 1,575,832 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure someone already thought about this, but since I don't see it out there, maybe there is something about it that isn't practical or feasible. But what do you guys think about this? Can this work?

I think one area we can recycle more is in the fast food places. You have all those cardboard and styrofoam containers and paper cups and wrappers just being thrown out.

Why can't we have separate bins for each type of stuff? Or if the customers can't be relied on to do this when they throw away their gargabe, maybe each restaurant can hire someone to separate the plastics from papers and put them into the proper bins. So instead of taking your stuff to the garbabe bins, there would be a rack to put your trays and someone would come out every once in a while and dispose of them properly in the back.

Of course, this is an added cost to the restaurant, but how expensive can this be to implement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
I'm pretty sure someone already thought about this, but since I don't see it out there, maybe there is something about it that isn't practical or feasible. But what do you guys think about this? Can this work?

I think one area we can recycle more is in the fast food places. You have all those cardboard and styrofoam containers and paper cups and wrappers just being thrown out.

Why can't we have separate bins for each type of stuff? Or if the customers can't be relied on to do this when they throw away their gargabe, maybe each restaurant can hire someone to separate the plastics from papers and put them into the proper bins. So instead of taking your stuff to the garbabe bins, there would be a rack to put your trays and someone would come out every once in a while and dispose of them properly in the back.

Of course, this is an added cost to the restaurant, but how expensive can this be to implement?
Sadly, fast food is one of the worst contributors to damaging the environment for the very reasons you mention. Think about a typical customer who goes through the drive-thru, not only are they wasting gas, they are getting all this packaging w/their food, most of which can't be recycled, and most of it ends up in the landfill or on the side of our streets. And even the stuff like the cardboard that can be recycled probably rarely is.

I'm guilty of this, most of us probably are, I do at least try to recycle stuff that is recyclable when I do frequent a fast-food joint. I think it's more of a hassle than it is the cost as to why a McDonalds or BK doesn't implement this into their business, but I for one would be more apt to go to a restaurant that was taking those extra steps to be environmentally friendly and minimize the amount of waste they produce.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Sadly, fast food is one of the worst contributors to damaging the environment for the very reasons you mention....

I think it's more of a hassle than it is the cost as to why a McDonalds or BK doesn't implement this into their business, ....
We just had a new president sworn in who is talking about a cleaner environment. Why can't we make this a law? It will also create new jobs (albeit low level min wage) because most likely fast food places will need someone to separate the left over stuff on the trays.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
i don't know if your idea necesarily would work, but i do see a lot of waste in fast food. i appreciate that you brought this up as a topic. i haven't seen it as a thread yet, until now.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Why recycle when we should stop using a material? Styrene is one of those materials. No matter where you go you will find styrene thrown about or being blown by the wind. Styrene packing kernels, beverage cups, bait holders, sandwich containers, etc. Banning styrene alone solves most of the problem. If we don't use plastic containers we don't need to separate it.

Don

Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why recycle when we should stop using a material? Styrene is one of those materials. No matter where you go you will find styrene thrown about or being blown by the wind. Styrene packing kernels, beverage cups, bait holders, sandwich containers, etc. Banning styrene alone solves most of the problem. If we don't use plastic containers we don't need to separate it.

Don
what should we use?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Don
We need to be practical. There's no way to stop using plastics in our daily lives. So, let's focus on implementing ways to recycle more.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:

Don
Excellent Root Cause Analysis, Don.

But I am afraid it is a case of Pearls before Swine. (not calling anyone a pig, what with more and more garbage, and all, but it sort of fits, no?)

So OF COURSE we can NOT live without (more and more) plastic. Did not see the movie The Graduate, huh?

So we shall have to fight fire with fire.

So what WE REALLY NEED are bigger and bigger (plastic, of course) shovels to keep shoveling the crap we so clearly cannot live without.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
We need to be practical. There's no way to stop using plastics in our daily lives. So, let's focus on implementing ways to recycle more.
We lived without it before, so why do you say we can't live without it now?

If you go inside a fast food joint, why does you hamburger need to be wrapped in paper and why does your drink need to be in a throw away container? Why do you have to use a plastic spoon and fork inside?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
We lived without it before, so why do you say we can't live without it now?

If you go inside a fast food joint, why does you hamburger need to be wrapped in paper and why does your drink need to be in a throw away container? Why do you have to use a plastic spoon and fork inside?
So are you going to carry your own cups and utensils? Perhaps, and perhaps there are things we can do to reduce the usage, but what do you think will be easier to acheive? Trying to get people to implement a better recycle system, or trying to get people to live without the stuff that we've grown accustomed to? Perhaps, it's a combination of the two, but you're never going to get rid of plastics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living