Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times

Advertisements

informative links:

Geothermal Heat Pumps

Geothermal Heat Pumps

Pennsylvania Poconos Geothermal Heating Systems (broken link)

Has anyone here installed a geothermal heat pump & have experiences or testimonials to share? How long was it before you realized a savings in your home heating & cooling costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
These are using the term "geo-thermal", very loosely (formerly called 'ground source heat pumps', as Geothermal was reserved for thermal steam / natural hot springs)... but

They are efficient, and have good longevity in climates that are not efficient for air source heat pumps, but greatly overpriced. Payback will depend on needs, It is another item that you would want to only invest in a home you are sure you will stay for quite awhile.

I would install it myself (if site was 'rock-free', as mine is) and save $$ if I could get the equipment wholesale. I would probably first consider the 'in-floor' radiant heat, as you can use multiple sources for heat source (wood, fuel, bio-diesel, grease, natural gas, propane, solar, electricity) I have friends who run their grease powered 'genset' 4 hrs per day, and heat their floors with the radiator water. Their Electric meter runs backward and they get a check from utility every month, instead of a bill.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
I have a Geothermal system in my house, I can't make any claims about savings, since I have nothing to compare it to since it came with the house, not a retrofit. What I can tell you is my electric bills were about 300 dollars a month for a 3,500 sq ft house last winter. I have a Air Source Heat pump for my upstairs and a Water Source Heat Pump (Geothermal) for the downstairs, I think the heat pump is 1/2 my electric bill and the geothermal 1/4 and 1/4 for the rest of the house.

When I switched from Heating to cooling at the beginning of the season, my 19 year old Florida Heat Pump stopped working, I just had the system replaced with a Premier Water Furance system with a desuperheater for $15,140. It will be interesting to see if the new more efficent system lowers my billed over last year.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I'm not sure if I have what you have..I have a forced air Water Furnace geothermal system and I live in a cold climate. My budget electric averages about $200. a month for 2600 sq ft house and part of our heated barn.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,339 times
Default Heating and cooling information

Here's a site that has good info on geothermal.
[URL="http://geothermal-pa.com"]Geothermal Information and Troubleshooting.[/URL]

Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
I have a geothermal open-loop system... and 3 wells, one for water in, one for water out, and one for potable water (I didn't design this, it came with the house).
I don't own this house (this one is in NH), as I am only here for a couple years. Remember this is a sample size of one. My personal opinion is, when I build another house, to never use a geothermal system until they are truly perfected. Natural gas would be my choice (of course it has to be available). Payback time for a GT is very long (in this case, infinite). This house is not that big (4600 ft^2), and it runs $450/month for electricity. Electricity here is expensive ($0.17/kw-hr). One of my other houses is almost 3 times the size of this one, and heated with oil, it costs about the same, per year.
Fortunately, I have a couple of woodstoves in this house, and that is now what I use for primary heat, using the GT as backup. The house is very solar-efficient; correctly oriented for the sun, lots of glass, insulated shades, etc, and I can get the house to 78 degrees during a sunny day when it is only 30 or so outside.

I understand the efficiencies of heat transfer via a heat pump vs. creating heat by burning a fuel or electric generation. I just don't see it here, in my case.

(The plumbing in the furnace room looks like the cooling piping in a nuclear power plant, a copper pipe thief's dream )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living