Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:58 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times

Advertisements

Figured I would ask this here as you all seem to know a lot about the environmental impact and stuff. So, I'm wondering what sorts of natural disasters will increase because of global warming. I'm not trying to turn this into something political, but will there be a lot more hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc.? I ask because in a few years I really need to decide where I want to begin a career and I don't want to choose a place that will be levelled by multiple natural disasters. I'm from California so I'm not phased at all by earthquakes but hurricanes and tornados freak me out. Will Houston be unsafe because of hurricanes? Will Chicago start experiencing tornados closer to the city? Will blizzards become more or less common in places like Colorado? I saw The Day After Tomorrow and it sort of freaked me out, don't know how accurate it was though. So if anyone has some thoughts on these concerns I'd like to hear them.

Last edited by tangodoodles; 04-26-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Hopefully the Oceans will raise and drown everyone on the coasts.....
P.S. My mother in law lives in San Jose so I'm not picking on you
Lol, my dad grew up in San Diego and he desperately wants me to move there after college so I'll be living there when he and my mom retire and move there. When I told him I was worried about parts of SD being underwater in the next 50 or so years he told me to get a good job and move up to La Jolla so I won't drown. That's what I'm hoping to find out, I guess. I want to know if this climate change will affect us in drastic ways like this.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Well technically, there can be tornadoes ANYWHERE, just cities make up smaller land area so they get hit less often. Atlanta has been hit at least 2 times that I can remember. I'd assume Chicago could get hit too, though the lake effect probably messes with the weather patterns.

I'm most worried by rising sea levels. I live outside of Boston and much of it is only a few feet above sea level built up on landfill. The world's population tends to be most dense along the coasts so rising sea levels can be devastating across the board. In the US alone Boston, NYC, Long Island, Baltimore, possibly DC (I don't know how flat it is in between DC and the coast, but it doesn't seem like it's that far distance wise), Virginia Beach, Savannah, New Orleans, Miami, most of Florida, Houston, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Juneau, and Anchorage plus the many communities in between could be flooded depending on how high the ocean rises. That's tens of millions of people and most of the country's largest cities which would be displaced. It wouldn't happen suddenly so that's something at least.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
The world's sea levels have been rising since the last ice age ended and will continue to do so regardless of humans until the next ice age begins. Therefor, general rule of thumb is to stay away from coastal cities that have large populations at or near sea level if you are worried. Personally, I wouldn't worry. The IPCC only predicts a few inches of sea level rise in the next 100 years, so most American coastal cities have nothing to worry about even if the IPCC is right which I don't think they know anymore than the local weather man can tell me if it will rain 4 weeks from now. I'd skip New Orleans though. Houston as well. They are both prime targets for massive hurricanes since so many powerful hurricanes enter the gulf of mexico.

All in all, I personally don't think there is anything to worry about. We will not see an increase in natural disasters. The only difference now and 500 years ago is population density and media coverage. I can only imagine the media coverage if another hurricane like the Great Hurricane of 1780 were to take place today. It occured in the Little Ice Age and is estimated to have had winds over 200mph. So obviously our planet is not new to ferocious and destructive storms. The only difference is that now if something happens, its on the news within 24 hours or less which gives people loads and loads of information.

More tornadoes due to global warming? I doubt it seriously, most likely, less. Tornadoes are caused by a clash of cold air and warm air. If global warming takes place, there is less cold air to collide with warm air, plain and simple. The only reason people think there is an increase of tornadoes now is because its FAR easier to record them now. We have advanced satellites that can detect them. We have thousands upon thousands of "official weather spotters" who call in to report potential tornadoes and teams go out to investigate and determine if one really took place. 25 years ago, if there was no buildings destroyed and no serious injuries, there was no team sent and no record made.

More blizzards due to global warming? I doubt it. More people will be affected by blizzards in the future simply due to a swelling population. More media reports of it? Sure, there will be plenty of sensationalism coming to keep ratings up due to global warming blizzards, lol, that sounds funny huh?

Anyway, there is nowhere on earth you can go to escape the potential for deadly natural disasters. I've lived in the south all of my life, in tornado alley for 6 years, and only saw one tornado that did minor damage and caused a few injuries. If hurricanes scare you, steer clear of the coast as anywhere from Brownsville all the way around the Gulf of Mexico coastline and from Miami to Maine are in the target zone for hurricanes. One could hit any given year, or one may never make a huge impact on a specific area.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:23 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Figured I would ask this here as you all seem to know a lot about the environmental impact and stuff. So, I'm wondering what sorts of natural disasters will increase because of global warming. I'm not trying to turn this into something political, but will there be a lot more hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc.? I ask because in a few years I really need to decide where I want to begin a career and I don't want to choose a place that will be levelled by multiple natural disasters. I'm from California so I'm not phased at all by earthquakes but hurricanes and tornados freak me out. Will Houston be unsafe because of hurricanes? Will Chicago start experiencing tornados closer to the city? Will blizzards become more or less common in places like Colorado? I saw The Day After Tomorrow and it sort of freaked me out, don't know how accurate it was though. So if anyone has some thoughts on these concerns I'd like to hear them.
I wouldn't sweat it tangodoodles! Unless you live in a town like New Orleans where it is below sea level and the levies have not been updated you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Sure if you live near tornado alley it would not be a bad idea to have a good basement and safe room. But that is the weather, as it is unpredictable. It was predicted that after Katrina we would be getting many more hurricanes and so on. Scare everyone to death so you can cash in on your scam. That is how this works.

Just find a place you can call home and you will be happy!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
I wouldn't sweat it untill all the global warming alarmists that have their beachfront mansions start selling them off and moving to the mountains! At which point, I'm sure they'll get there in their private jets. What a scam!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Well technically, there can be tornadoes ANYWHERE, just cities make up smaller land area so they get hit less often. Atlanta has been hit at least 2 times that I can remember. I'd assume Chicago could get hit too, though the lake effect probably messes with the weather patterns.

I'm most worried by rising sea levels. I live outside of Boston and much of it is only a few feet above sea level built up on landfill. The world's population tends to be most dense along the coasts so rising sea levels can be devastating across the board. In the US alone Boston, NYC, Long Island, Baltimore, possibly DC (I don't know how flat it is in between DC and the coast, but it doesn't seem like it's that far distance wise), Virginia Beach, Savannah, New Orleans, Miami, most of Florida, Houston, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Juneau, and Anchorage plus the many communities in between could be flooded depending on how high the ocean rises. That's tens of millions of people and most of the country's largest cities which would be displaced. It wouldn't happen suddenly so that's something at least.
Would Atlanta be affected badly by global warming? I'm sort of terrified of tornadoes but other than that Atlanta seems like a cool place to live. I'm in California and the cost of living is ridonkulous and Atlanta seems like the place to be for attorneys in the south.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I wouldn't sweat it untill all the global warming alarmists that have their beachfront mansions start selling them off and moving to the mountains! At which point, I'm sure they'll get there in their private jets. What a scam!
I sort of feel the same but I'm not really into moving that much. I want to live in one place for a long time and possibly retire and die in that same place. So I'd like to make sure that place isn't under water or has an average temp of 120 degrees in around 70 years or so.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:24 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I sort of feel the same but I'm not really into moving that much. I want to live in one place for a long time and possibly retire and die in that same place. So I'd like to make sure that place isn't under water or has an average temp of 120 degrees in around 70 years or so.
Ain't going happen in your life time! Malibu, CA or Venice, CA will still be around 100's of years from now. However, if you are moving to the big Island of Hawaii or kinda close to Mt. St. Helen's well then you may have some problems, as on the big island of Hawaii that volcano goes any way it pleases. And by the way, for my Carbon Foot Print Cult Zombies, one nasty volcano can mess up the Earth's Atmosphere and Climate for years!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
If there is a full polar melt, get at least 10 meters above current sea level. Least expected rise is 5 meters. The range varies by guesses how much additional water vapor will be held in the warmer air.

I was wondering what the EPA was thinking when they let contracts for the 5 and 10 meter mapping a few years ago. Guess now we know . . .

US National Assessment of Climate Change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living