Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
OK, here's the site; Go to googlegroups and look up 'waterworld'; Waterworld23rdCentury@googlegroups.com is the postal address.
Can't find it.....is there another way into the group?

(I searched "waterworld", and "waterworld23rdcentury" a number of ways....you link goes to an email )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Thats one of my reasons for living in Atlanta.The tornado thing was a fluke though.They happen mostly in the rural areas and almost always in the same spots.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Any major city in the tornado alley is a major disaster waiting to happen.New orleans was just like that for years. Even the eastcoast is a disaster waitng to happen like the 30's hurricane but less barrier islands undeveloped and more coastal building. The when is always a tough thing and those that haven't been hit the first major really causes more loss of human life.Liike in many areas hit by tornados many have installed shelters.In hurricane araes hit most evaucate. Bet the galvesto area will leave like so many did easst of there on the Texas coast that were hit by Rita.Peole learn the hard way mostly.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:06 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thats one of my reasons for living in Atlanta.The tornado thing was a fluke though.They happen mostly in the rural areas and almost always in the same spots.
Atlanta has always intrigued me. What kind of natural disasters could potentially hit Atlanta? You said the tornado was a fluke. Is Atlanta located in Tornado Alley? Could it possibly be hit by a hurricane or an earthquake? Also, isn't there a huge draught? If I decided to move to the south(ish) U.S. someday, Atlanta would be near the top of my list. The cost of living is fantastic compared to California.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Pretty much anywhere you live, there is a risk of some sort of natural disaster. I consider where I live in Idaho to be pretty disaster-safe.

We don't get tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods/tsunamis, landslides, and even our temperatures are pretty mild. (Sure, it gets to 110 sometimes, but it is so dry, it feels cooler than 80 does in Georgia.)

We are however, in the danger zone if the whopper under Yellowstone ever goes off. Then again, so is the entire planet, especially the entire US. On the plus side, I'd probably be killed in the initial blast, rather than lingering on to be killed by the ash fall or the nuclear winter that would follow.

We also are long overdue for a really big earthquake under the Tetons in eastern Idaho/western Wyoming. That'll be a big one when it goes.

I challenge anyone to find a city that isn't at risk for one of those I named, or drought, or forest fires, or any of a hundred other disasters.

Find which disaster you can stand and pick a city in that zone.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Atlanta has always intrigued me. What kind of natural disasters could potentially hit Atlanta? You said the tornado was a fluke. Is Atlanta located in Tornado Alley? Could it possibly be hit by a hurricane or an earthquake? Also, isn't there a huge draught? If I decided to move to the south(ish) U.S. someday, Atlanta would be near the top of my list. The cost of living is fantastic compared to California.
Well i aware of a fault line that run through north geogia all the way up the east coast.A earthquake will happen in the future but of course no one knows.There has not been one in modern day history.No Atlanta the city is not in "a tornado alley."People forget that the MSA of Atlanta comprises almost all of North Georgia(over 25 counties).If a Tornado hits in Newnan(30miles from downtown),They will still say a tornado hit in the "Atlanta area".

As far as Hurricanes go a direct hit of a hurricane is slightly possible but never has happen before.We mostly get the bad weather like heavey rains and some flooding whicah can be severe in some areas due to Atlanta being in the foothills of the mountains.
The only concern which is major is water shortage.Its weird because when you think drought you think images of a desert or something.It;s not at all that way.It very lush and green with lots of hills and trees.The lakes are low at the moment though.I don't know if this is permanet or not.I don't see it as being anything where it will be too bad in our lifetimes as long as we continue to make adjustments in our usage.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If I had to move to Atlanta I would consider it a disaster no matter what nature dished out.

If Yellowstone does another caldera event like it did a couple of hundred thousand years ago, global warming will not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living