Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

^ if you buy good towels they wont be like cardboard.
also, dont use fabric softner, that makes the towels less absorberant.
All my bath towels are from Kohls and have had them a few years now and they seem to be holding up well.
they dont feel like cardboard when they come off the outside line, inside because they are not blowing, but just hanging still, they are a little, but it doesnt bother me, i guess im used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
I grew up in the 40's and 50's in a house that was right next to the railroad tracks. My mother would hang out clothes and when she heard a coal-burning locomotive coming, she'd scream for everyone to get out and get the clothes in NOW! If we didn't get them in in time, the coal smuts from the engine smoke would fall on the clothes and she'd have to wash them again.

My grandmother was a very modest person and she would hang her bras and panties inside a pillow case pinned to the line. Heaven forbid anyone should see ladies' underwear hanging on the line. Grandpa's undies would always be hung by a sheet so you couldn't see them from the street.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
I hang my laundry outside on a line on the deck when it warms up and no chance of rain. In the winter and rainy days, it hangs in the basement with a fan blowing. I usually try to coordinate wash days with the weather. I love the fresh smell of the outdoors especially sheets, towels, and underwear. It is a good thing there are woods between us and our Land Rover/Lexus driving neighbors. The one couple lived in Singapore for 30 years and returned to the USA with an unbelievable skewed sense of impropriety.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Most older Australians with a house hang out the washing, whether we own a Lexus, Range Rover or whatever. Whole suburbs of houses in Sydney which cost upwards of $2 million dollars have washing happily hanging outside. However most apartment blocks have bylaws which prohibit washing hanging on verandas or anywhere visible. So here it is probably the wealthier people who can afford a backyard who hang washing.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I grew up in the 40's and 50's in a house that was right next to the railroad tracks. My mother would hang out clothes and when she heard a coal-burning locomotive coming, she'd scream for everyone to get out and get the clothes in NOW! If we didn't get them in in time, the coal smuts from the engine smoke would fall on the clothes and she'd have to wash them again.

My grandmother was a very modest person and she would hang her bras and panties inside a pillow case pinned to the line. Heaven forbid anyone should see ladies' underwear hanging on the line. Grandpa's undies would always be hung by a sheet so you couldn't see them from the street.
Good memories. Your poor mother though. It would be horrible to have to redo the wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I hang my laundry outside on a line on the deck when it warms up and no chance of rain. In the winter and rainy days, it hangs in the basement with a fan blowing. I usually try to coordinate wash days with the weather. I love the fresh smell of the outdoors especially sheets, towels, and underwear. It is a good thing there are woods between us and our Land Rover/Lexus driving neighbors. The one couple lived in Singapore for 30 years and returned to the USA with an unbelievable skewed sense of impropriety.
I also coordinate my laundry with the weather...sometimes I have quite the pile to do.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
"crisp" air dried laundry?

You mean towels that are stiff as sandpaper! I guess it's good for smoothing the callouses off our feet. This is one where the romance of the idea is better than the harsh reality, for me.
One of my mother's happiest days was the one that she got her first clothes dryer.

She loved not having scratchy towels.

In the winter, pre-dryer, she would use drying racks placed over the floor furnace. That would increase the humidity in our tiny house so much you felt as if you were in a rain forest.

Outside, in the summer, there was the hazard of sudden rain showers. It could be sunny when you put the stuff on the line and raining before it was dry. Then you had pollen and bird poop to deal with. Extended rainy spells were problematic. It would be so humid that some things would mildew before they got fully dry.

With the advent of permanent press fabrics she would use the dryer to get clothing almost dry, then place on hangers to finish.

I must admit that bed linens dried outside do smell fabulous!

With just DH and me, I use the dryer for everything but my bras. Electricity is cheap enough here that it's only a few dollars per week.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:50 AM

776 posts, read 955,681 times
I have to laugh...

Here in Toronto, and in the entire Province, there are no Home Owners Associations... If the action is not specifically prohibited under the local municipal by laws........you can do it. I cannot understand why anyone would put themselves into a place where the neighbourhood snobs control things. I guess that is an American thing ?

To be clear, we have local rate payers groups, BUT their function is to make representations on behalf of their neighbourhood to the city council, about proposed amendments to by laws that effect the entire city. Not to force neighbours to paint their garage door a specific colour. Or deny others the use of their own property, to dry clothes outside. That's just silly.

XXX.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:52 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
My yard has the T posts, but I couldn't find clothesline that stays taut enough under load. Not much point to trying with so much snow and rain here. I hang my clothes on anything that will hold a closet hanger, which simplifies the task of putting them in the closet.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
Made me remember the good old days when we hung out the laundry in the back yard. Our neighbor grew raspberries and birds would steal them and drop them onto the laundry as they flew by. What a mess!

Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I used to hate the crispy, crunchy towels off the line too, nothing like roughness against the skin, same with line-dried sheets.

Love smelling fresh, clean clothes right out of the dryer, and they're so soft and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living