Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:27 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Blue jeans, t-shirts and towels, NOPE. I like them soft out of a dryer.

Sheets and blankets, yes! Love the smell of them.

Hint: Instead of buying laundry softener sheets for your dryer:

Buy three washcloths in a colour you never use in the shower or tub. I use light colours which are better for doing white laundry.
Soak them in a small bowl of laundry softener liquid of your choice (I love Downy), squeeze out the excess and hang them to dry. Once they are perfectly dry, throw them into your dryer with your clothes. They work better than laundry sheets and you can use them over and over again (15-20 washes) before you have to re-soak them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:52 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Sure, I live in Portugal, and don't own a dryer. Most people where I live don't.
I spent 6 months in Italy back in '77. My girl friend was an Italian and immigrated to The States five yrs earlier. We went to her home town (pop 600) up in the mountains of Calabria. That town had only been hooked up to the grid for a few yrs at that time.

She took me down the mountainside on a narrow footpath to the shallow stream that babbled & gurgled along over & around the rocks. She pointed one out and said, "That was my rock that we beat the clothes on doing our laundry."

Then she got this far-away-look on her face that turned to a look of puzzlement. "What the h*ll did we beat them on rocks for?"

Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
When I was a young lad my mother had no choice but to hang the wash to dry. In the winter much of the time it was below freezing. When she would bring in the sheets they were frozen solid but once inside they quickly thawed and I will never forget the delightful fragrance of those sheets.
As an adult I have lived in HOA's that banned drying clothes outside. I did live in some houses not part of an HOA and I hung my wash out to dry all year long freezing or not. The fragrance from the sheets is a wonderful experience. I am now back in an HOA and I miss my sun dried clothes.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:06 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
So funny to see this today. I mentioned to someone recently that I don't recall the last time I saw a clothespin (not sure how the subject came up). I remember clotheslines from the sixties and it never occurred to me there would be a place that would "outlaw" hanging clothes out to dry. I wouldn't do it here though--not in the dusty desert.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:12 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Ten minutes in the dryer then hung on hangers. Tee shirts are wrinkle-free and no clothespin "ears". I hang them (on the hangers) on the pulley line outside in the nice weather and in the basement when it's not.

Bed linens - no dryer, right on the clothesline. Towels in the dryer.

The washcloth soaked in fabric softener is genius, Gouligann! I'll be doing that tomorrow! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My dryer conked out earlier this year - had it fixed, and it finally died. I haven't replaced it. Although it is more inconvenient to hang clothes out, it's doable and is saving me money, both in replacing a major appliance and electric costs.

I had a very hard time finding pulleys and clothesline tightners, though. Used to be you'd see them everywhere....I went to Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot and none of these stores had them.
Here is a great place to buy clothesline supplies:

https://www.lehmans.com/category/clo...ne_accessories

When we lived off-grid in our cabin I dried things on my clothesline that ran from my porch out across the yard to a tree. I love line dried clothes except towels. We also have a propane powered dryer for when outside drying is not appropriate. Like winter in the northern mountains.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:42 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My dryer conked out earlier this year - had it fixed, and it finally died. I haven't replaced it. Although it is more inconvenient to hang clothes out, it's doable and is saving me money, both in replacing a major appliance and electric costs.

I had a very hard time finding pulleys and clothesline tightners, though. Used to be you'd see them everywhere....I went to Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot and none of these stores had them.
https://www.amazon.com/Household-Ess...line+tightener

https://www.amazon.com/Ben-Mor-TV122...+pulley+system

Aside from Amazon.. look for them at one of those little mom and pop hardware stores that's been around forever.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
At my cheap old apartment place here in Tucson, none of the 14 units have washing machines. There is a coin laundry room with a washer and dryer, and there is also a large outdoor clothes line in back of the laundry room. Many of the residents including me use the washer and hang everything out to dry.

The desert air in Tucson is typically dry with plenty of daytime sun, so it doesn't take long to dry the laundry. Even towels & blue jeans dry within a couple of hours. I also keep an indoor clothes drying rack in the kitchen to use in case it's too windy outside or if I have just a few things that need to dry. I have not owned or used a clothes dryer in over 20 years.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:02 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I would never hang clothes out these days with all the chem trails in the air and we have dirt roads behind us that some of our neighborhood teens use to run their dirt bikes and throw dry dirt into the air and yes they land on your damp laundry , No thank you . Besides I don't relish showing my neighbors my undies or any one else unmentionables .

Old 12-18-2017, 11:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I use my dryer once a year or so to make sure it still works. I live in Las Vegas and half the year clothes hung outside dry faster than the dryer. I keep a rolling clothes rack on my patio. I hang my clothes on hangers and put them on the rack to dry then they go directly in the closet. Sheets, towels and other larger items are spread out over the rack. It's no more work than it would be to use the dryer and sunshine is free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living