Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,418,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Brady the switch from fossil fuels to an alternative is inevitable with or without government involvement. You don't drive the bus off the cliff trying to get there. That's a big plum to pick and government intervention may even be a hindrance. Henry Ford has little incentive to produce cars for the masses if could just sell them expensive ones paid for by the government.
except even the fossil fuel industry had government involvement early on to get things rolling. It will get there on it's own, but will there already have been too much damage? I think people really need to consider ALL of the costs when they look at the cost of their energy. That's not currently happening for ANY energy source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Demography may not be your forte. It is mine. I have demography degrees and everything.

Longer life spans are because of fossil fuels and capitalism. Life expectancy started jumping during the industrial revolution which was not possible without capitalism.
Or energy, and lots of it.

Is it better for a person to live to 80 and die of pollution causing cancer. Or should we go back to the 1600s where the average life expectancy in the Western World was normally about 26 years? And almost always a more painful death than what a cancer victim suffers today.

By any measure we are better off with the use of fossil fuels than without. We are also better off with more people. This can proven by the quality of life in 2014 compared to 1014, 1514, 1814, 1914, 1954, 1984. The more people we have and the more fossil fuels we use the better life gets.

But everyone needs a boogeyman around the corner that is going to destroy the earth. These delusions have been around as long as man has.
You need a course in statistical inference: correlation is not causation.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You need a course in statistical inference: correlation is not causation.
To suggest fossil fuels have not had a huge benefit on the health of people is quite frankly absurd. Before the industrial revolution life was hard.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
To suggest fossil fuels have not had a huge benefit on the health of people is quite frankly absurd. Before the industrial revolution life was hard.
i guess the question is what the net effect is. it certainly had a short term huge benefit, with some short term and long term costs. but even knowing that it had a huge benefit doesn't change that if we had the ability to produce all of that power from sources that don't do what fossil fuels do to our environment, we'd be far better off.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i guess the question is what the net effect is. it certainly had a short term huge benefit, with some short term and long term costs. but even knowing that it had a huge benefit doesn't change that if we had the ability to produce all of that power from sources that don't do what fossil fuels do to our environment, we'd be far better off.
Without fossil fuels, the alternatives wouldn't be possible.

100 years from now, all of the technology, all of the "green" alternatives to fossil fuel based energy and life as it will be known as it is now, will have been made possible because of fossil fuels. Hardly short term.

It is easy to discount the contribution of fossil fuels which allowed humans to develop the manufacturing technologies that will be part of nearly every future technology for centuries to come. That doesn't change the fact that without fossil fuels, long term anything simply wouldn't happen.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Without fossil fuels, the alternatives wouldn't be possible.

100 years from now, all of the technology, all of the "green" alternatives to fossil fuel based energy and life as it will be known as it is now, will have been made possible because of fossil fuels. Hardly short term.

It is easy to discount the contribution of fossil fuels which allowed humans to develop the manufacturing technologies that will be part of nearly every future technology for centuries to come. That doesn't change the fact that without fossil fuels, long term anything simply wouldn't happen.
so what's your point? we should stick with fossil fuels out of nostalgia? seriously - who cares?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so what's your point? we should stick with fossil fuels out of nostalgia? seriously - who cares?
I agree with your post, bradykp.

IMHO, Energy is the reason for our advancement. It wouldn't have mattered what that source was. Turns out it was easy and cheap to use and get coal in the beginning. Now we are learning, maybe that isn't the best answer long term and going forward. It won't last forever, even though it will last the remainder of my lifetime. So while I am not personally worried about it for me, I am worried about it for my kids, grand kids, and so on and so forth down the line.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,110,113 times
Quote:
Whether it's coal, natural gas, solar or wind the final product is electric and the cheapest way to make it is with coal.
Actually the cheapest way right now is natural gas.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
Coal is not cheap if the cost of medical issues cause by coal use is factored into the equation. Regardless of the impact historically, today there are alternatives far superior to continued reliance on coal.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:39 AM

18,505 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Normally I don't reply to necro-threads, but I'll put my two cents in here:

Obviously we can't stop burning coal in the short term, but long term it's not a good idea because of climate change risk. According to some, there's enough coal on this planet to cook humans to death several times over: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...ill-do/275271/

I really don't know if there are any cost effective solutions for replacing coal. Maybe future generations are just screwed, except those who can make it to Russia and Canada.

Last edited by Freak80; 04-29-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living