Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

The infrastructure and the cost to produce hydrogen is to high now really. The logtistics will make it higher than gasoline like most alternatives for decades when available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
OK, just so I understand, the Volt is a real car that I can buy and the BMW hydrogen car is a toy for people to play with..... Got it.
Yup, you are up to speed now.

As far as I can tell though all these alternative energy things are either fads, failures, facinating experiments, or some other limited exposure things.

I am not into electric cars because we the people subsidize the industry. The cars can not sell at the price offered so the government offers money to entice people to buy them.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Yup, you are up to speed now.

As far as I can tell though all these alternative energy things are either fads, failures, facinating experiments, or some other limited exposure things.

I am not into electric cars because we the people subsidize the industry. The cars can not sell at the price offered so the government offers money to entice people to buy them.
We subsidize petroleum to the tune of about $400 Billion/year, because we don't reflect the cost of our Middle Eastern wars in the price of gasoline. If we recovered the cost of the war through a gas tax consumers would jump at electric vehicles. And bicycles, skateboards, horse & buggy, etc.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
The Electric Tesla Roadster | Tesla Motors

Here's your joke 0-60 in 3.7 seconds

Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Electric Tesla Roadster | Tesla Motors

Here's your joke 0-60 in 3.7 seconds
Well, of course.

Three digit VIN number owners who waited a year or more in line and love them.

And on here we have the City-Data all-star-trog-line-up arguing whether their 1978 Camaro is still the greatest thing on the road.

Yunno, a three digit VIN on a Tesla is likely to likely to wind up worth more than was paid for it.

Do you think the trogs understand that their disapproval is part of what makes the Telsa, et al, so appealling?

ahhh, marketing.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
We subsidize petroleum to the tune of about $400 Billion/year, because we don't reflect the cost of our Middle Eastern wars in the price of gasoline. If we recovered the cost of the war through a gas tax consumers would jump at electric vehicles. And bicycles, skateboards, horse & buggy, etc.
Can't rep you anymore points, but Oh Yeah.

Yunno for the Cost of the Iraqicide -- somewhere between a Trillion and 5 Trillion, depending on how the bodies are valued and future cost flow . . . even if we started with the low number -- 1 Trillion -- that math comes out . . .

$1 E 12 / $100,000 = The first 10 million Tesla Roadsters could have been free.

Thank you, Dick Cheney, for the 2001 US Energy Plan.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Well, of course.

Three digit VIN number owners who waited a year or more in line and love them.

And on here we have the City-Data all-star-trog-line-up arguing whether their 1978 Camaro is still the greatest thing on the road.

Yunno, a three digit VIN on a Tesla is likely to likely to wind up worth more than was paid for it.

Do you think the trogs understand that their disapproval is part of what makes the Telsa, et al, so appealling?

ahhh, marketing.
Tell me, my wife talked me out of a 95 Defender and into a Discovery. That Defender is worth triple what it sold for new

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
What does the war on Terror have to do with the price of gas? We have more than enough petroleum under our soil to last us hundreds of years. We don't need to get any from other nations. What we need to do is start drilling here.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What does the war on Terror have to do with the price of gas? We have more than enough petroleum under our soil to last us hundreds of years. We don't need to get any from other nations. What we need to do is start drilling here.
Wow, do read newspapers?

1. Iraq isn't about terror.

2. Iraq I & II were about oil.

3. 9/11 was about our troops based in Saudi Arabia to protect the oil region.

If we weren't interested in the oil in the region, we wouldn't give much of a hoot about those countries.

BTW we produce about 5 million bbls/day of oil and consume about 20 million bbls/day. Oil in the ground does not equal oil available for production. We haven't been self sufficient in oil since the 60s. And no it isn't because of the environmentalist.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM

139 posts, read 384,601 times
Default Not so much a joke

Hydrogen? Perhaps, but I will comment on the viability of plug-in EV's as we have built one from a converted Ford Fiesta and are powering it from our energy positive SIP home in Boise, Idaho. This translates to NO home energy or gasoline expense thanks to PV solar panels. With the new offerings coming from Ford, Nissan, Mitsubishi & CODA - to name just a few, charging an EV by way of individual renewable energy sources (at home or abroad) makes good sense. As far as the long trips, I'll take the economy car until such a time when battery technology permits as they are constantly improving. Side note - I just read in the paper today that California, Oregon and Washington are setting up quick charge stations (30 minute charge times) allowing a plug-in EV to get from San Diego to B.C. Canada. And best of all, no mini mushroom explosions along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living