Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthenwall View Post
Oops, got off topic earlier. Anyway the point was hydrogen takes a lot of energy to generate, may not be efficient to generate electricity which is then used to generate hydrogen, which then converted to power in the car, unless we had the energy surplus.

You forgot the sporty yet overpriced Tesla cars, which get around ~200 miles to the charge. Not really a vehicle for mass production, but they are being sold.
the tesla is expensive, but what would you consider fair price for an EV that goes 245 miles on a charge and 0-60 in under 4 seconds (of course, it doesn't go 245 miles if you do the 0-60 driving it can do)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 31,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the tesla is expensive, but what would you consider fair price for an EV that goes 245 miles on a charge and 0-60 in under 4 seconds (of course, it doesn't go 245 miles if you do the 0-60 driving it can do)?
That's true, I guess it's appropriately priced for its performance and materials, I was just noting the existence of a electric vehicle with longer range. It is overqualified for a middle class car buyer looking for an EV. I think the Leaf is supposed to sell around 30K without incentives, which would fall in the price range for the mass market.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,104 times
i'll take a diesel any day longer range than this junk and you don't have to lease a diesel eathier wich means max insurance and if something goes wrong how much will it cost to fix if the warranty don't cover it. and i wonder if the crap and people you load it up with the slower it goes like a hybrid a toaster on wheels.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Seen this on the Tesla?

YouTube - ‪Top Gear testing Tesla Roadster‬‏

And yes I'm aware of Tesla's law suit against Top Gear... And here is Top Gears response:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/04...eslas-lawsuit/

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Seen this on the Tesla?

YouTube - ‪Top Gear testing Tesla Roadster‬‏

And yes I'm aware of Tesla's law suit against Top Gear... And here is Top Gears response:

Top Gear Responds to Tesla’s Lawsuit | Autopia | Wired.com
yes, so if i were racing a tesla on a race track, i'd have a 55 mile range. so?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
yes, so if i were racing a tesla on a race track, i'd have a 55 mile range. so?
What it does is makes one wonder at what speed and driving conditions the Tesla sportscar must be driven at to reach that 245 mile range.

I'll bet a dime to a dollar it's not driving it like a true sportscar, they'll have a nice sweet old lady driving it on a Sunday morning to church services.

Not to mention it takes 16 hours to fully recharge....

Not to mention when the motor overheats the car will automatically slow down.

Their other car they were testing had to go the shop and while it was recharging the brakes broke...

Wouldn't it be nice to be driving from San Antonio to San Diego where <whoops> no charging stations to stop at, so that's out.

OK San Antonio to Houston doing the speed limit 80MPH having range anxiety because it's the usual Texas summer and it's 105 and you have the AC cranked way up and like to listen to loud music, and hot darn, the traffic is backed up for miles on 610.

The Tesla is a niche car for rich people to get into and drive to their mailbox and back, or their golf cart replacement.

Last edited by plwhit; 06-01-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So the Volt will travel almost 400 miles before a fill up. Sweet. And then you just fill it up at a normal gas station.

I wonder how many mile the hydrogen fueled car gets before it runs out of fuel and there are no fueling options in the neighborhood?
The BMW 7 Series Hydrogen and gas powered car will drive 400 miles between fill ups. BMW runs Hydrogen in an internal combustion engine that burns both fuel and hydrogen. Most manufactures burn Hydrogen to create electricity, not so with BMW. The car comes with duel fuel filler caps. It will run 150 miles on hydrogen alone. Still BMW isn't commited to expanding the amount of cars that they are testing. They only have 100 of them on the road and consider hydrogen as a costly niche market.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The BMW 7 Series Hydrogen and gas powered car will drive 400 miles between fill ups. BMW runs Hydrogen in an internal combustion engine that burns both fuel and hydrogen. Most manufactures burn Hydrogen to create electricity, not so with BMW. The car comes with duel fuel filler caps. It will run 150 miles on hydrogen alone. Still BMW isn't commited to expanding the amount of cars that they are testing. They only have 100 of them on the road and consider hydrogen as a costly niche market.
So I can just wander down to the local BMW dealer and buy one off the showroom floor? Or perhaps it's really vaporware.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So I can just wander down to the local BMW dealer and buy one off the showroom floor? Or perhaps it's really vaporware.
We have them driving around here in Oxnard, Ca. Maybe you should make a visit to my city. The only way that you would get one of the 100 cars that are on the road today is if you were an elected official, a corporate exec, someone in the entertainment industry, or some other kind of mover and shaker. They only built 100 of them and realized that for them the technology just isn't where it needs to be to make it a viable production car. When you have hundreds of years of oil sitting under the ground and it is more efficient to produce than any other current technology then why go after a dream?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have them driving around here in Oxnard, Ca. Maybe you should make a visit to my city. The only way that you would get one of the 100 cars that are on the road today is if you were an elected official, a corporate exec, someone in the entertainment industry, or some other kind of mover and shaker. They only built 100 of them and realized that for them the technology just isn't where it needs to be to make it a viable production car. When you have hundreds of years of oil sitting under the ground and it is more efficient to produce than any other current technology then why go after a dream?
OK, just so I understand, the Volt is a real car that I can buy and the BMW hydrogen car is a toy for people to play with..... Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living